wilbo
Years ago

Talk generating about a Joe Ingles & the NBA.

Lots of articles are popping up as well as several tweets about Joe, lets hope he is given the opportunity he deserves!

Topic #29015 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He needs to go to Malaga instead. NBA coaches are not going to like him. An Australian small forward that has to have the ball in his hands..........that won't fly at all in the still extremely xenophobic and biased against foreign players NBA.

Reply #374898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe is full of potential i wish him all the best

Reply #374921 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Really annon? He would fit in just like any other euro player, find his role and work to his strengths.

Reply #374925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingles has to have the ball in his hands. He is just a step above awful in Spanish League and Euroleague playing off the ball.

NBA coaches won't give him the ball, that's just how it is.

Reply #374931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/london-olympics/joe-ingles-performance-for-the-boomers-at-the-london-olympics-is-likely-to-attract-attention-from-nba-scouts/story-fncvhxa2-1226447071758

Reply #374934 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

I remember the story Mark Bradtke told after playing for the 76ers after the 96 Olympics

Near the end of the season (after getting practically no court time that season during the Iverson/Stackhouse season long feud) he spoke with the head coach, in the elevator, and the coach asked what AUSTRIA was like (that was the extent of the coach's contact with him)

Many good players don't get an opportunity because US guys hate them. Jeff Van Gundy was apparently a real asshole to most of his foreign born players (except Yao)

Reply #374939 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

Lol at that Mark Bradtke sorry. What a fucking idiot for a basketball coach

Reply #374943 | Report this post

Port  
Years ago

Great to see Jingles getting this attention, he certainly played very well. What teams do you think his game would suit?

Not the right thread, but really impressed with what Melo and Kobe had to say about Mills, especially Melo.

Melo: "He was shooting the ball well, running that team, getting out on open court and making plays for everybody, and himself. You could tell that he's grown as a basketball player."

"A guy like that, who can get up and down the basketball court, who can make shots, who at any given time can take a shot, it’s kind of hard to prepare to play against a guy like that."

Anthony said it was only a matter of time before Mills, 23, got regularly good game time in the NBA.

“You can just tell right now, the way he’s been playing in this tournament,” Anthony said. “Our league is all about opportunity, and his opportunity is awaiting him.

“He’s an exciting player to watch, and to be out there playing against. I love to watch him, we love to watch him, as players, as competitors, so I hope his opportunity comes quickly.”

Kobe: "Patty Mills seems to get better and better every time you face him. I keep seeing him improve"

Very impressed by Melo unloading several paragraphs on topic about Mills!

Reply #374944 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah... the NBA -- one of the most multicultural sporting leagues on the planet -- is biased against foreign players.

If anything it's been the other way around -- foreign guys get a look in over equally talented domestic players because of their exotic flavour.

Reply #374965 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think Ingles game is more suited than Europe and same with Newley. The lane isn't as clogged up, plus you can't hand check as much on the perimeter so these slashing guys who can shoot the three ball can thrive.

Reply #374970 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

JVG is a knob head full stop...the guy is so full of himself and is so desperate for Miami/Lebron its pathetic. I guess when your most memorable coaching moment is tackling a players ankles there is a reason that you don't coach anymore.

Its good to hear melo praising Patty, but it is funny that most would say Joe was Australia's best player and patty took too many shots and didn't create for anybody, sound familiar Melo?

Reply #374995 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Patty gets so much praise from USA because he is the only player they are really familiar with... Us Aussies know he didn't "run" the team, yet all the Americans think he did based on PPG!

Reply #375000 | Report this post

Have to tread carefully here because any comment/criticisma of Patty attracts fairly quick responses of "Hate.... Hater,...blah blah blah, etc "
It is fairly obvious that most people recognise that Patty doesn't run the point real well and is at his best in transition where his speed and athleticism is "breathtaking" Many articles of our games appeared to be fairly generic based on the stats with no real understanding of what just happened. I am convinced that "volume shooter" is basketball speak for "selfish". I would make the point that in Melo's article he says that "he is exciting to watch and we love to play against him, etc." Nowhere does he even hint how good it would be to play WITH him!!

Reply #375029 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jingles has demonstrated a capability to play in the NBA and should attract soime interest. Whether this interest is converted into any tangible offers is yet tio be seen.

The best thing that he can do right now is back up his great Olympics form by nailing down a starting role for Barcelona. By doing so, he will get a chance to play a pre-season game against an NBA team, and the chance for more recruiters to take notice.

If the offer(s) come, then he should give it a crack.

Reply #375049 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree Prisoner of Gravity, I think most people who follow Aussie bball closely would agree Mills is an untapped reserve of vast talent.

I dont think he is selfish - he adjusted to his shot not dropping for Melbourne and distributed very well - I think he is instinctive, and Brett Brown used those instincts poorly in the tournament.

Over the course of a club season you can ride good and bad nights, in the Olympics or WCs you need most nights to be good ones and that means no volume shooting unless hot.

Reply #375051 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

At the end of the day it comes down to the coach/system: in NBL (except for the last couple of games where he played a nice, rounded distributing game) and international, he shoots lots of shots at a poor percentage; in the NBA while playing under one of the greatest coaches of all time in Pop, he shoots the ball at a phenomenal clip.

Reply #375059 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-08-09/olympics-2012-team-usa-australia-joe-ingles-patty-mills-david-andersen-spurs

Great article on jingles i can see him in a cavs uniform sometime soon!

Reply #375087 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Marc Stein senior basketball analyst for ESPN recent tweets:

Marc Stein ?@ESPNSteinLine
Aussie coach Brett Brown predicts Joe Ingles has NBA future with his "body like Tayshaun Prince." Heard same from two NBA GMs tonight

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-08-09/olympics-2012-team-usa-australia-joe-ingles-patty-mills-david-andersen-spurs

Reply #375091 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Many good players don't get an opportunity because US guys hate them. Jeff Van Gundy was apparently a real asshole to most of his foreign born players (except Yao)

>

Yeah, Jeff Van Gundy was notorious for it. Fabricio Oberto, Mirsad Turkcan, Frederic Weiss, and Vassilis Spanoulis all had horror stories of how horrible he treated them because he hates non-Americans.

Reply #375117 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Yeah... the NBA -- one of the most multicultural sporting leagues on the planet -- is biased against foreign players.

If anything it's been the other way around -- foreign guys get a look in over equally talented domestic players because of their exotic flavour.

>

Wow, most delusional post in this history of this site.

Reply #375118 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

Jingles has demonstrated a capability to play in the NBA and should attract soime interest. Whether this interest is converted into any tangible offers is yet tio be seen.

The best thing that he can do right now is back up his great Olympics form by nailing down a starting role for Barcelona. By doing so, he will get a chance to play a pre-season game against an NBA team, and the chance for more recruiters to take notice.

If the offer(s) come, then he should give it a crack.

>

How is he going to start on Barca when Pete Mickeal and Chuck Eidson both play ahead of him there, and quite frankly, they are both much better players than he is.

Reply #375119 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Problem at Barce is Joe is a player who needs ball in hand and they have Navarro, Huertas and Jasikevicus who will all get it before him. A loan would have been a good result.

Reply #375128 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Lol at the Tayshaun Prince comment... Jingles used to get it all the time years ago and absolutely hated it...

If he gets a camp invite, hopefully he lights it up there and woul probably get a contract off that

Reply #375185 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754