El Diablo
Years ago

Matthew Dellavedova appreciation thread

I really like the look of Delly, not NBA material (not quick enough etc.) but definitely the PG for Australia for the next 10+ years. Will make a lot of money in Europe methinks.

He reminds me of a poor man's Steve Nash (in college), consummate teammate and passer, who doesn't look for their own shot enough (Nash was a better shooter though). He is an exceptional passer, just needs the players around him to allow him to shine.

While not very quick, he is deceptively big, a legit 6'4" and willing to put a body on someone to box out (Mills could learn this!) and is a dogged (although not a shut-down) defender.

He has to get better at getting his shot off in the lane (does some nice moves playing at St Mary's but not nearly consistent enough) and be able to shoot the contested 3 (shot mechanics don't really allow for this., maybe its too late to change though)

If can throws lobs that make Baynes look like a beast, imagine what he could have done for Bogut. Bogut would have been dunking all over the US

Topic #29017 | Report this topic

Ricey  
Years ago

I think he proved against USA he is possibly NBA material and a potential lottery pick if he can fix his shot...

Reply #374952 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I think Delly's shot is fine, granted it looks unconvential, but he knocks them down at a good clip.

What he really needs to work on is a couple of go to shots in the lane. He's added the floater the past year or so, but that definitely needs work to become more reliable. I think he also needs to work on a high arching lay-up type shot, and as someone else mentioned, perhaps a pull up jumper.

I think this area of his game (options in the lane) is more critical than anything else, simply because he gets into the lane so easily, and unfortunately the passing options aren't always there, so he needs these go-to shots to fall back on.

It will be interesting to see if he is called on to score more at St. Mary's this season with the graduation of Rob Jones. I definitely think his entire game will benefit from completing his senior year, and this will have flow on benefits for the Boomers program.

Reply #374971 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

While I wont go as far as to say lottery pick, if he can fix that kink in his shot to the point where it's pure consistency when left open, he is definitely first round material. He's still a fine shooter, but if he irons out that kink he'll be great.

The key to being a good point guard in the NBA is being able to get layups consistently - either through speed, or by having that pure jump shot so defenders over play you to the point where you can blow by them. Plays at the rim result in the best shot in basketball (the layup) or the best pass in basketball (the pass for a layup) Delly has to make guys regret ever giving him daylight to get a shot off.

Reply #374973 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought he showed in that US game he doesnt have the speed or handles at this point to impress NBA scouts. Dribling with your head down against pressure isnt going to get the job done!!

For someone his age it was a very promising tournament, and if he learns how to utilise more players off the on-ball and to be a bit more of a scoring threat he will be a strong international point guard.

Reply #374981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he got better as the tournament went on - he looked out of his depth in the first couple of games

when you look to the future we're pretty solid with Mills Delly Ingles Newley Baynes Simmons Exum etc

Reply #374990 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

I agree Vart.I think Delly game would improve greatly if he could work on those things as well as model himself on a player like Huertas for brazil, who is not dissimilar to Delly, as they are both similar size and both are not naturally explosive PG but rely on a high iq and good passing.

in his previous years, Delly would pick up the ball off the dribble very early in the offense and limit his option far from the hoop instead of looking to create, now a lot of that has been addressed in the last year or so and his game has improved a great deal. if he continues to work on developing 'go to' shots inside such as pull up J's or floaters as you said, and continue to work on interior passing options and get more comfortable working inside and drawing offense he will be an impressive player.

Reply #374991 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The best thing about him, alongside how good a leader he is, is he obviously works very hard on his weaknesses. So while he is clearly behind the good international point guards now, by the next tournament he might not be.

We were lucky to have Smyth, then Heal, then Bruton running the show so competently, and I just assumed Mills was the next, but Delly will prob be the leader with Exum and Mills the scorers.

For 2014 it would be good to have Martin, Bruce or Markovic step up and provide another solid option off the bench.

Reply #374997 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

He grew on me during the Olympics as the jury was def out. He & Mills have a tendency to attack the hoop when the trees are planted & the outcome is never pretty! The guy can play & if he can add some more 'Nash' passing the NBA is not that long a shot!!

Reply #375002 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Don't be surprised if its another younger guy stepping up behind Delly by 2014. Greenwood seems a likely pick to me.

Reply #375004 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think if we are trying to medal in the next few years a more veteran presence would be good behind Delly and Mills.

There is a big gap between the 2016 Olympics and 2019 World Cup where the good players from the next generation can be developed, so before that only the absolute standout youngsters (Exum for example) should be brought into a team that will be at a great age (mid 20s to early 30s) to challenge for medals in 2014 and 2016.

Reply #375006 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

With Exum's rate of development, he may not be able to be ignored at the World Cup in two years time. It just depends how much he grows as a player the next two seasons. He could potentially take a starting spot, and have Delly as the steady hand off the bench.

Reply #375010 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Should be noted next year's draft should be very weak on good PG's... with alot of the top talent going in the first round expected to be in the front court on most draft sites.

While I dont expect Delly getting drafted 1st round, I wouldnt be surprised him going in the second round leaving it up to him to force himself onto a roster

Reply #375011 | Report this post

Years ago

Will have a huge college year - not too many wcc players have mixed it with team usa

Reply #375014 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Vart, I think Exum will be a shooting guard, but yes, he could be knocking on the door pretty quickly.

Reply #375016 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

I hope Exum knocks on the door quick. we need a guy like that on the team. athletic, great scorers mentality yet doesnt take it all on himself all the time. He was better then any of the U17 players that I saw from any other team. As for Ben Simmons, I hear his name alot but didnt see him do a great deal.. did I miss something? actually that Nick Duncan kid looks like he could be of some help ina few years, looks gutsy and goes in there and does the hard stuff

Reply #375022 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree Paul - Exum will be a shooting guard moreso than a PG - but have an ability to provide service to others ala Mr Ingles.

Delly has shown improvement each year in college and I have no doubt he will once again raise the bar over the coming 12 months - let alone the next 4 years.

A great senior year at SMC will see him drafted - whether that is a first round pick is yet to be seen - but not out of the realms of possibility.

Reply #375037 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

The olympics can only do wonders to delly the amount of confidence he has picked up over the last few months will work wonders for him in his senior season how many college point guards have played on Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Russel Westbrook

Reply #375086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with the NBA teams loving the high pick and roll game, i think he has a chance. he showed he can get in the lane from it, kick it for a open 3 or give the lob to the rolling player.

other than the last quarter he didnt look out of place against the USA, he improved his chances i reckon.

Reply #375180 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Nick Duncan is too short.. hes shorter then Ben Simmon's, so he's like 6'5 or 6'6 if he grows a little more and hits 6'9+ I honestly think the kid would have a shot at the NBA but as it is.. not at his height

And I wouldnt really worry about Ben Simmons u17 performance, he was underused and misused in it as far as Im concerned, people talked about this before but it was true in this case, more worried about everyone having a go then riding your best players.

Reply #375209 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

He is a solid player but you and absoloute idiot if you think he is ever going to be an NBA draft pick.

Reply #375658 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754