Rat10
Years ago

Bill Simmons Article on Boomers vs USA

Amusing article from my favourite bball writer.

Long article as he comments on all the quarters but scroll down the bottom to read about his thoughts re Aus vs USA.

He's definitely right about one thing. Nobody is scared of the USA anymore. The Boomers certainly played with no fear.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8249995/olympic-hoopalooza

Topic #29018 | Report this topic

Beantown  
Years ago

A fun read as always. Its obvious Simmons wasn't watching the game too closely though when he says this: "Mills did a nice job controlling the tempo and keeping them in hangaround mode for three quarters."

Say what?!?!

Reply #374955 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Simmons is a decent writer in the technical sense but knows next to nothing about basketball.

Reply #374964 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Great article. Is spot on, with the comments about kobe

Reply #374967 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

"Also, I kept picturing Steve Nash watching that Kobe performance with the same glazed look that Ned Stark had right before we never saw Ned Stark again."

Gold!

Reply #374975 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Don't build up a story as if its worth reading Rat10. Average article, provided no insight other than a congratulatory pat on the back, USA USA chant and showed exceptional ignorance to any player than doesn't play in the NBA.

Reply #374989 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Mick, do you know who Bill Simmons is? He knows everything there is to know about the NBA he has written a book called "The Big Book of Basketball" that talks about the NBA virtually from Day 1.

Reply #374993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really enjoyed the read. Thanks for the link.

Reply #374996 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090624&sportCat=nba

If you haven't read Bill Simmons' open letter to Blake Griffin from back in 2009, you owe it to yourself to have a read. Funny stuff.

Reply #375001 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ Big Sexy: I have read Bill Simmons' stuff for years, and he is a good writer, but his comments on the technical side of things (ie the actual playing basketball part) range from sweeping generalisiations to regurgitated trolling hyperbole.

Reply #375025 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mick, I reckon Simmons does know a lot about basketball because he eats, sleeps and breathes it and has done for a long time. He doesn't really choose to show all that knowledge very often though, because he's about getting the laughs, not serious analysis.

And Bobby Tables I agree, the line about Ned Stark is GOLD!

Naph, loved that article on Griffin. Could still come true as well. Griffin is great to watch, but the way he plays he is making himself a prime candidate for a shortened career.

Reply #375034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a fan like the majority of us... He doesn't know the finer points or the day to day goings on of the NBA. Mark Cuban has recently had a public twitter jousting match with him.

Reply #375220 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754