Hurls
Years ago

Thon Maker.. How aussie?

Thon Maker is being clased as the best player in high school basketball... does ayone know how aussie his allegiences are? and whether hes likely to ever want to be a boomer? I think the next Under 17 team should try to get him ASAP

Topic #29022 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

...huh?

Reply #375067 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Nat why did you even bother to reply? I am not going to repeat it again it speaks for itself your question cant be more specific or you dont understand the thread dont bother to post!

Reply #375068 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

So many threads asking this already. In fact, you've started at least one of them in the past. Are you a friend trying to pump up his profile?

Reply #375073 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What do you mean "How Aussie?"

He's a Sudanese-Australian kid.

He's not going to play for the Sudanese national team.

You do the math.

Reply #375075 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

How Aussie, I will tell you, he's not! why?

Thonny

Makery

We can't Aussie up his name, maybe if he changes it to Thon Macker, then we can call him Macca. We are good enough to let him come to Australia, he should at least respect us enough to change their name so we can bastardize it.

That being said, as long as he has:
1. An Aussie accent, or,
2. Constructs his words like an Aussie would (an Aussie sportsman no less)

He is Australian!

Reply #375080 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

"We can't Aussie up his name, maybe if he changes it to Thon Macker, then we can call him Macca" hahahahaha

Reply #375081 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

At least with a name like that he can get a gig on Game of Thrones.

Reply #375083 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

I am talking about does he seem in any way interested in representing Australia? I dont care what knickname you wannna give him you tool. I dont even care if he clicks for words... so long as he wants to represent australia thats what matters...

Reply #375089 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

wow Im sure if he reads this thread he'll be having second thoughts about representing australia.

Reply #375096 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Revelation: Hurls is Thon Maker! Here hoping someone would give him an Australian nickname.

Reply #375104 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

@Hurls, Don't care if he clicks?

And the racist door has been opened, step on through

Reply #375107 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Its not racist.. I am not hating on him for it. Some places in africa they make clicking noises for words... thats like if an african says about an aussie "I dont care if he says mate after every second word".... people are very touchy about the race thing, take a joke..

Reply #375129 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Aussie's have always made racist jokes about everyone.. the difference between us and most of the rest of the world is we don't go and kill/bash someone because of there race.. we just bash each other cause we are drunk!

As for Thon playing for Aus.. I think you might see it sometime in the future, his family still lives here I assume? So he'd want to rep them and the sudanese community back home

Reply #375136 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Hurls failing at sarcasm detection 101.

Reply #375156 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

"take a joke.."

Huh?

Reply #375169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard he graduated from school here in Australia initially, and a scout got hold of him and figured out he didnt have a birth certificate. So when they brought him over to USA High School, they put him in year 7.

Reply #375177 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

There is a reason that this is a popular topic. He could be a transcendent player for us if developed properly.

Reply #375179 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

exactly tickle.. if I was basketball australia id be right on this right now! it could bite us in the ass in 10 years and he could have a US passport and be kicking our ass in the dream team...m they need to identify these kids and if there on the edge about whether or not there in the aussie program, put a stamp on them. right now

Reply #375182 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There are many Sudanese players out there like this kid. They all go to these Engligh language schools and graduate to working in factory jobs. Many of them are younger than we think. They are just so bloody tall. I heard this kid is Australian and has an Aussie passport. He has been here since he was 7. A US scout discovered that he was really young and began to coach him. He made the NSW state team and did really well and the scout moved him to America. Instead of having these kids going in a job or trade pathway like most of these kids are, we should try to get them on a sporting and academic pathway. Some people have told me that the Australian Basketball College, with Luc Longley (he understands tall) is trying to do that in Melbourne. Anyway with him, Simmons , Delly, Exum we have some good young talent coming along.

Reply #375196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The scout is a guardian, Thon is his meal ticket man

Reply #375198 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I think it would be the other way around mate. If it is true as reported that this kid could not play at all and this scout has worked with him to get him to this point, how is he the scouts meal ticket. What should the scout have done..uh great potential but I won't train you because people are going to think you are my meal ticket. I guess if someone puts hard work ino training someone it is a meal ticket. So the coach who is at the AIS that is being paid by the government is making his money by having all the best kids come to him from the different states. This kid is in the US and doing well because someone took a chance on him.

Reply #375204 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Don't think the guardian is a scout.. thought it was that Coach Smith? guy who ran the basketball program in Blacktown in Sydney or something with all the Sudanese players.. he's the same guy who showcased Ater Majok in the States before he signed with UConn

Reply #375206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dude is 19, he has already graduated high school in Perth, Australia. He is lieing about his age.

Reply #376254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

needs to shut everyone up and reveal his date of birth. if he is serious about playing for us he should play for our junior team.

Reply #379750 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754