hoopie
Years ago

does NBA success = Olympic success?

well, the Finals teams are set, and it's probably just a question of what the US will win by.

This got me thinking - does having more NBA players guarantee that you'll go further in the tournament.

I'd love one of you stats geeks to map out each team that made the final 12, how many current NBA starters they had, how many NBA bench players they had, how many past NBA players they had.

For the Boomers, I think we just had Patty (NBA bench) and Andersen (ex-NBA). I don't think we had anyone else with NBA experience.

Who knows, maybe getting Aussies into the NBA doesn't guarantee success, eg look at Nigeria.

Topic #29031 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

no it doesn't.

refer to USA in the mid 00's.

it does help to have high calibre players but you still need good team chemistry and balance.

Reply #375208 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

First, you need talent.

Then, they need to play together for a while (say, 6-8 years). See Argentina 2004, Spain 08 and to some extent Australia 96-00.

That is why the next Olympics is so, so big for us.

Reply #375211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greece 2006 = Zero NBA players

USA 2006 = 12 NBA players

Final Score = Greece 101 - USA 95

So I don't really think it matters. If it did, France would be winning EuroBasket every single time, and they actually have not win it since, well the have NEVER won it.

France pretty much ahs the most NBA players at every EuroBasket and the most other than USA at every world tournament............no gold medals ever.

Reply #375221 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

USA - 12 current NBA
Argentina, Brazil - 4 current NBA
Australia - 1 current NBA, 1 ex-NBA
China - 1 current NBA
Great Britain - 2 current NBA
Lithuania - 2 current NBA

Reply #375227 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

(it might help if I finished the reply before hitting 'send')

I have to agree with previous posters - the number of NBA players is useful but not a decider in predicting who'll do well. Realistically, the US should be creaming everyone every time, based on sheer volume. If they don't, then they should be embarassed.

I come away with a lot more respect for the Euro leagues. I don't care any more if we don't get many players in the NBA; as long as they do well in Europe.

And once again I'm proud that the Boomers punched above their weight.

Reply #375229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just look at Nigeria........they have 2 current NBA players, a third that played in the NBA for 3 years, and another that was an NBA draft pick.

They were pretty much awful.

China's roster had an NBA player, and 2 ex NBA players and they were awful, etc.

Great Britain, playing at home, with 2 NBA players and 2 ex NBA players and they didn't do much either.

Really, none of those teams was really noticeably better than Tunisia with zero current NBA players, zero ex NBA players, and zero NBA draft picks on its roster.

If anything, you could argue that Tunisia even played better than Nigeria and China did.

Reply #375234 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Some players like navarro choose not to play NBA, Navarro did but not for a long time he could easily still be killing it in the NBA today some people don't like it and choose to stay in Euro where there more of a star and get good minutes how many nba players on your team doesn't mean much unless your team USA

Reply #375252 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

China also had 2 ex-NBA with ZhiZhi and Sun Yue

Reply #375258 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Saying JC Navarro would be "killing it" in the NBA is a bit rich.

Of course # of NBA players doesn't matter in and of itself, but it's just an indication of base talent levels in a generalised way.

As for the USA margins of victory: it's easy to say that the gap is closing, but even with Spain missing Rubio, France missing Noah, etc. the USA is missing their entire frontline and playing small ball all tournament long.

Reply #375266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

France would have been good if they had all their players available. I can name 16 current French players who used to, or still do play in the NBA. Check out this lineup:

Parker/Beaubois
Pietrus/De Colo
Batum/Gelable
Diaw/Turiaf
Noah/Mahimi

Reply #375278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To put it bluntly, no.

The stars on national teams (ingles,mills, etc) would have to fill a role in the NBA. That is the hardest thing, going from being the man, to spot minutes playing your role. This in my opinion is why Mills has not gotten relevant minutes in important games in the NBA. (see playoffs when games were within single digits)

Reply #375300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It has no bearing at all. Greece with no NBA players beat a team of LeBron, Melo, Howard, Bosh, Wade, Paul, prime Hinrich, prime, Jamison, prime Brand, prime Brad Miller, prime Shane Battier, prime Joe Johnson............

Reply #375305 | Report this post

Wade  
Years ago

So,

Argentina with:

Current NBA players:

Pablo Prigioni
Manu Ginobili (NBA starter)
Carlos Delfino (NBA starter)
Luis Scola (NBA starter)

Former NBA player:

Andres Nocioni (NBA starter)

NBA draft pick:

Federico Kammerichs

Future NBA player (they are already saying the NBA scouts are all over him:

Facundo Campazzo

Lost in the bronze medal game to Russia,

With:

Current NBA players:

Aleksey Shved
Andrei Kirilenko (NBA starter)
Timofey Mozgov

Former NBA players:

Sergei Monya (bench player)
Viktor Khryapa (bench player)

NBA draft pick:

Sasha Kaun

Argentina's team has like 10 times more "NBA pedigree" as the American NBA only fan "analysts" call it, yet they los the game 81-77.

The bottom line is that the best Euroleague players, can easily compete with a team built around NBA starters, and it has been proven numerous times.

As European teams built mainly around Euroleague players (Greece, Serbia, Lithuania) have many times beaten or come very close to beating teams that are built around NBA players (Argentina, USA, Spain, France).

Reply #375318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. Look at Nigeria.

4 guys that have been in the NBA on their roster:

Al-Farouk Aminu
Ike Diogu
Olumide Oyedeji
Ejike Ugboaja

And a 5th player, Champ Oguchi, that is being offered NBA contracts right now.

So that would end up being a roster (as it stands now) of 5 NBA related players...........

And Nigeria's team was absolute trash at the Olympics.

And it's not like the rest of the team was total trash.

Archibong, Alade Aminu --> Guys that have been on Euroleague teams.

Skinn --> Eurocup team.

Obasohan --> Eurocup and Spanish League teams.

Dagunduro --> Italian League.

Ibekwe --> Played on Turkish League teams.

A team with 5 NBA related players, and other guys that have played in leagues like Spanish League, Eurocup, Euroleague, Italian League.......

Yet they could not do anything really, and were by far the biggest joke opponent that the USA ever had.

So it sure didn't help Nigeria any having 5 NBA related players on their team.

Reply #375865 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:49 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754