anonymous
Years ago

Chat Room in hoops?

This website is great. The forum is a great idea and obviously, very popular. Maybe you want to keep it simple and as it is but ever thought about having a chatroom? I'm sure people would enjoy it and like mixing with different people. I know it would be lots of hard work and the task of having a moderator in there all the time would be tough but i think people would like it. You could maybe open a chatroom one night a week.

What do people think? Is it too complicated?

Topic #2905 | Report this topic

A Bizzy Imposter  
Years ago

You can basically use this thing as a running chat room. Just refresh your browser and we can have chat now if you want

Reply #32947 | Report this post

Saint Nick  
Years ago

Good idea, not sure if it is needed? But out of interest how slow does this room get during the off-season? And does the Ozhoops board slow down as well?

Reply #32952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with nbl running over summer and abl running over winter with tournaments, olympics, commonwealth games etc when is the off season?

Reply #32958 | Report this post

Saint Nick  
Years ago

Don't be so patronising, it was a simple question and you have to respond with some idiotic remark to try and be a little bit pedantic and shoot someone down.

And you couldn't even have the guts to put a name to your response, good one gusto.

Reply #32959 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

i think anon raised a fairly valid (rhetoric) question. Basketball isn't like footy and cricket. Juniors run all year round, NBA has a long season there isn't really an off-season as such.

Reply #32966 | Report this post

Saint Nick  
Years ago

Well let me phrase my question

Does this room have any slow periods of time where the quantity of post freeze as in school holidays the quality of post drop a significant amount.

Reply #32974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and no. The posts used to be at the 700 or so a week and have grown to be around the 1000 posts a week. It really depends on what's happening in basketball and what's being said in the media. As long as I've been here there hasn't been any real major slumps where people haven't posted in days. Something is usually always happening in the Basketball world.

Reply #32979 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Isn't chatting on a forum called SPAMING? Unless it is allowed

(Mod: The link you created in another topic to a "Hoops SA chat room" has been removed. Please don't put the name of something I've created to something that isn't my work. I know you're trying to be helpful, but if something is said or done in there, responsibility or issues of reputation could well impact me. Thanks.)

Reply #33001 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Right, ok

Reply #33012 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure re a chatroom. Personally, I don't think I'd use one. People post at various times during the day, whereas a chatroom requires everyone to be available at the same time.

If you want profiles with an ability to store an MSN Messenger address or something, let me know.

Reply #33013 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Well, in the 4 hours my chat room was up before being removed it had 4 guests, and only had something like 60-70 reads so it does do something

Just try Isaac the people have requested it.

Make it BETA and test it out and have a go, I did and worked pretty well for a Friday Night at around 9pm

Reply #33014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Degenerate - dont you have some homework or something?

Reply #33015 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Anonymous, Don't You Have a life or something

Reply #33016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your right, i dont have a life, i might just go online and set-up a chat room, for losers who have nothing better to do with their friday nights.

If fact i might just go on a basketball site and give shit to a great bloke who gives up heaps of his time to set up a basketball forum.

I might just give no respect to a bloke who takes time out of his day simply for love of the game.

(Insert your own sarcastic tone.)

Reply #33017 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

To be fair D, I was one of those viwers just to see what reaction the place had, and the other was Isaac.

I think most people talk on messenger as it is anyway.

If anyone wants to add me, it's [email protected]

Reply #33019 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I really don't have time to create and maintain a chat room, sorry. I can't really delegate that to a freebie chatroom either as it impacts my reputation, as I said. And I don't really think it's worth it for 4 guests. I am usually on MSN to chat with DC and few of the other forum posters, and there are always basketball channels running on IRC for those interested.

With regard to "the people have requested it", I know that not everyone's had a chance to read and respond to the topic, but I'm pretty sure that only 2 people out of the 247 reads have really expressed an interest in the idea so far.

Reply #33020 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Ok, Well firstly to answer anonymous

I wasn't dissing Issac at all he does a great job
Secondly I don't actually get what your fighting for, Isaac doesn't seem annoyed, the losers you claim to chat are actually people that give their time to put into Isaac's forum so you just dissed them
Thirdly, get a username so then you can't hide behind walls just because you can't back up anything and are scared to face the music
Fourthly, I gave up my time to try and help Isaac and this is what I get for trying to make the site better, Isaac is a busy guy I would imagine with the pictures, promo's, posts, editing, deleting etc. he has to do. So then you don't support the site at all by coming on and trying and I use that term, TRYING to insult people and make them feel bad because they try to help Isaac.

I suggest you actually think about what you're saying before coming into to a discussion and posting your quite pointless posts.

To Isaac,
Obviously anonymous thinks I have insulted you, I have not tried to at all, I just was trying to make a point.

I never said that WE NEED a chat room and never said ISAAC needs to make one!
--
And I am not at all annoyed at him, I clearly said that in the short time my chat room was up it did get a good reaction, and was just letting him know it had some success if he wanted to try it.

I will agree with Double Clutch, most people use MSN as it is, maybe Isaac as you said set up a place were people can give their MSN accounts. That is a better idea

Anonymous say what you want, but then again no one knows who you are and know one cares, so just sign up to the forum and become a dedicated member of the site. I am sure you should back what you say up because it would dedicate you just like Isaac and I are dedicated to this site and basketball. Then you come on here and spit on people who are trying to help it out. Disappointing&

Reply #33021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac knows who i am. I have signed up on the forum, and i've had more posts than you've had jam sandwiches. perhaps i did phrase what i said poorly.

Isaac works full time, he's not a part-time worker, part-time HoopsSA guy. He is also not a student, which means he doesn't have the time you or i have to spend on Hoops. He has expressed in (#33013) that a chat forum wouldn't be the best way to go about what you want, and suggested an alternative, yet you disagree with him in (#33014). Don't forget he does websites as a profession, and if he was to put his name to something sub-standard, it would impact his professional reputation. A litte consideration to what he is suggesting is all i ask.

Dr Dunkenstein

Reply #33022 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Well Dr. Dunkenstein

As you put clearly you have posted many more posts than I. Clearly making you know more about the site. As I said I don't think we're arguing a point and should probably forget this.

I was trying only to tell Isaac that the chat room could work and was giving him my results incase he was unsure.

Dr. Dunkenstein also I am quite new to this and I think I could learn from my mistakes. I also think that you trying to put me down wasn't a very good look for your image, 180 posts in I think you probably could've explained your thoughts better off then just going to juvinal name calling and I think that this post anyway has gone way off the topic by now, I apoligise if I offended Isaac or yourself and I am trying to reasonable about it, and hopefully you will too

Reply #33023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no harm done all round. I dont use that name when i post like this, i dont think someone should get credit for posts that are completely unrelated. Your right, i should have known better, i do have a problem with how i phrase things.

Good luck to your Cabra team!

Reply #33024 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

Cheers and it is good to see people can forgive and forget, some continue pointless feuds for ages

Good Work Dunkenstein

Reply #33025 | Report this post

Mum  
Years ago

well my opinion is (and I usually have one, if not I make one up just for the hell of it ;-)) I agree with post(#32947)that this forum is a bit like a chat room and the conversations are there for all to see. With a chat room, when they are busy you miss out if you are away from your computer for a couple of min so at least on the forum the "conversations" are there for us to catch up on even if we are away for a month.

Reply #33030 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

I agree, Mum. And the funniest thing is that if you look at the times these guys posted, they have been using it as a chat room!

Reply #33031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" (and I usually have one, if not I make one up just for the hell of it ;-))"

- We've noticed!

Reply #33036 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:14 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754