36ers/Arena Petition on FB

Noticed this on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/SavetheAdelaidearena

Everyone should get on there and sign up

Topic #29056 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Priority is getting the Commonwealth Bank to recognise the 36ers' lease for 2012/13. Not just until the end of the sale process, but the end of the NBL season.

As I understand it, CBA will look to sell the Arena to recoup money owed by Groves. Groves will be harassed for the remainder. CBA answers to shareholders and also (oddly) Groves (given that they will be pursuing him for whatever they can't get in a sale) so it may be in their interests to maximise the appeal of the venue to potential buyers. One part of that is having it lease-free after the sale period (end of the year?).

Not 100% on all this, but I imagine that even if the government were to step in and help, the full sale process would need to be followed and CBA would resist confirming a lease in the interim? Not sure what options would be available in this case.

Reply #375659 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Anyone in the know like to speculate the chances of a new lease being agreed to so we can play out the current season.

Are we miles apart in terms of $$$ or are the CBA stating that they will not entertain entering into a new lease while it is on the market? If this is the case you'd have to say that it is unlikely to sell and settlement go through before 7/10 (season start date).

Reply #375660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll go 80% the 36ers will be playing at AA this season.

This whole story absolutely reeks of hyperbole.

Reply #375662 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

CBA will want to offer the most flexible terms possible to a potential buyer.

A potential buyer may actually want the 36ers to stay on. After all what good is a basketball stadium without a basketball team?

The CBA will be wanting to cover off their legal obligation in obtaining the largest sale price possible. Hence their desire for flexibility in the off chance they find someone that wants vacant possession and therefore may pay more.

By not acknowledging the 36ers lease it gives the CBA utmost flexibility in the sale process. a bit like selling a house that has a tenant in it, you may want to move in straight away but cant due to the tenant.

Of course CBA may well have an issue that they are simply ignoring the 36ers lease in the first instance. The 36ers could potentially have recourse against CBA now because of the way they have potentially harmed the 36ers commercially.

Any sensible buyer would want prolonged due diligence on the purchase to completely cover the current restrictions and to have the necessary conversations with council about any plans they may have. A DD period of 90 - 120 days is not uncommon for this type of transaction.

A minimum of 30 days for settlement to occur post due diligence.

For mine this highlights how poor sports amenities are in this state. There are a number of other lessor sports in this state that are able to use state facilities.

Would love to think someone out there is thinking of the big picture and looking to put a roof on top of Memorial Drive to make that the 36ers new home.

Reply #375663 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I was the one that set up the page, so i would appreciate any help on how we get thru to the right people, whether it be at CBA or government Representatives...

Cheers

Reply #375667 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I hope the recent local who won 50million in the Powerball is reading this forum and saves the club and arena.

Reply #375669 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Media have shown some interest in the fan campaign and are keen to have callers. Call up for Drive Time on 891 at 17:15. They may want someone to call through now and prepare a specific time to discuss it? Give it a crack if you want.

Key points are:

- awkward situation in the sales process means that an important NBL club are on unsteady footing and can't secure their previous lease with past owner
- thousands of people enjoy going to the games and following the club
- the 36ers have put together a promising team for this season (starting early October) and fans are keen to see them play
- alternative venues are either booked already, or too small
- fans are hoping that the Commonwealth Bank can confirm the lease for the 36ers so they can play this season

Reply #375670 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Actually, CBA might not be able to confirm the lease (see my previous comments and BJF's points above), but would there be legal reasons they couldn't put back a sale settlement to after NBL finals?

They might get stuck paying interest for that extra period, but at least that's a manageable financial position (could be offset by sponsorship/naming-rights) rather than the uncertainty of legal threats.

Groves might not have legal recourse if it were argued that a longer process could find more interest. Shareholders (unlikely to fire up anyway) could be deterred by noting the contra deal with sponsorship.

---

Other than that, I guess the hope is to play on sans-2013-lease, and hope the government comes to the party in time to allow the club(s) to continue from that point?

Reply #375671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand - the building is a basketball stadium, not a multi-purpose venue, right?

What else can it be used for?

Is it more likely the CBA extends the lease until the end of the next NBL season, then sells it to a property developer who knocks it down and builds apartment complexes?

Reply #375677 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

only other tangible use is a church,

and from all accounts Edge are hovering around like vultures waiting for the death

Reply #375679 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could be used for a lot of things, though there are restrictions that say it cannot be used for live music.

Remember that the area itself is not that big (doesn't include the car parking lawn areas) so it couldn't be an extensive complex. Also might not be suitable for residential development.

Reply #375681 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Hey everyone, I'll be on 891 ABC Adelaide, Drive radio with Michaela Smyth, tonight around 5:15 talking about my page: Online Petition To Get Our Local Government To Save The Adelaide Arena
Please tune in to hear me talk about my passion for the Arena and my team The Adelaide 36ers
Cheers

Reply #375682 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Is it possible to be used as both a basketball stadium and a church?

Reply #375685 | Report this post

eyewonder  
Years ago

So much for their ad campaign that says CAN!! Clearly they WONT!!

Reply #375686 | Report this post

eyewonder  
Years ago

Any chance we could do them for false advertising ;o)

Reply #375687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dome was built atop a rubbish dump, so highly unlikely residential allotments would be allowed. Also not zoned within a Residential Zone (from memory).

Reply #375690 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tru Blue, thanks for stepping up!

Reply #375692 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

With all the donations from the government into other sports and the support they have given in building stadiums surely the government needs to step the F$%K up and buy the place.

Sick of bball being last.

Reply #375693 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

on that..minister for sport Tom Kenyon

http://www.ministers.sa.gov.au/ministers/hon-tom-kenyon-mp.html

[email protected]

Reply #375694 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Hi Isaac, I ( and maybe a lot of other people ) aren't savvy with social media.
Could you set up a petition on here that we can sign , and collect our votes that way?

Reply #375706 | Report this post

Green 75  
Years ago

Perhaps a certain south australian uni can have another crack and put money (without knowing) into bricks and mortar to SOS

Reply #375710 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They're too busy sponsoring the South Adelaide Panthers

Reply #375714 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Oh please let Flinders drop some cash into it, would be hilarious.

Reply #375717 | Report this post

Green 75  
Years ago

Relocate Arena to Tonsley Park

Reply #375718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"With all the donations from the government into other sports and the support they have given in building stadiums surely the government needs to step the F$%K up and buy the place.

Sick of bball being last"

So you want the Government to bail out Basketball again ???

Reply #375719 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Hey Fill Smythe, if you already have a Facebook account then all you have to do is like the page, even share it around, it all helps.
The pages numbers have increased exponentially since its inception only 8 hours ago, and has already had media coverage with hopefully more to come,
That's the power of social media...
www.facebook.com/SaveTheAdelaideArena

Reply #375720 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I was hoping to hear you at 5.15 , when there came a knock upon the door and I missed you .
One of the first stories on ch9 news last nite , they ran a '36ers will be homeless'

Reply #375724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#719 Government 'bail out' of BASA cost them $15m

Hidden bailout of SACA in 2012 as part of Adelaide Oval costing $85m

Government's bail out, fund, inject money into sport all the time.

When it's basketball its a costly bail out. When it's Netball, Soccer, Cricket or AFL its an investment (and always a lot more too).

Reply #375729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We need to keep the momentum going for this, with less than 400 likes no one is going to take us seriously, so please everyone get over to FB like the page and then share it on your FB page and encourage all of your friends to do the same.

Reply #375747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just got this repy to an email

On behalf of the Hon. Tom Kenyon MP, Minister for Recreation and Sport, I acknowledge your correspondence received 14 August 2012, about Adelaide Arena.

Your correspondence is receiving consideration

Reply #375762 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Please get on board

Save The Adelaide Arena

Click the image above...

Reply #375808 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Opps forgot the link code lol www.facebook.com/SavetheAdelaidearena

Reply #375809 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Possibly good news:

" Dear Adelaide 36ers Members and Fans,

The Adelaide 36ers are pleased to have received news today that indicates they will remain at the Adelaide Arena for the duration of the 2012-13 NBL season.

I received a phone call this morning from Ferrier Hodgson, agents of the Commonwealth Bank, to advise they will, on Monday, receive formal lease documents.

It was the news that we have all been waiting for - it's a huge relief for us.

Today’s verbal advice indicates that the Club will remain at the basketball venue for the coming season.

The Club has a few formalities to go through next week, but the call today strongly indicates that we can now fully focus on getting the 36ers on court on October 7.

This process has shown us how much support we have from you; our members and fans across South Australia – you have been outstanding in voicing your support for us.

We look forward to seeing you all at the Adelaide 36ers first home game at Adelaide Arena on October 7, against the Melbourne Tigers.

The Club would love to see a full house and we encourage those that have yet to purchase their membership for the 2012/13 season, to contact the Club on 8345 0900 about renewing.

Thanks for your support and see you on October 7.

Sincerely

Leeanne Grantham
CEO
Adelaide 36ers Pty Ltd"

Reply #375816 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:04 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754