news?
Years ago

Div 1 Coaching Line-up Thread

I notice South and Forestville have announced their Div 1 coaching line-ups. Any word from elsewhere?

Is the Centrals press release far away?

Topic #29065 | Report this topic

Oberon 81  
Years ago

Reply #375859 | Report this post

;  
Years ago

Yeah you would think the clubs would release the coaches prior to trials.

Reply #375860 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

Centrals release is being worked on prior to being made public. It is arguably the most awaited release for the upcoming season.

Reply #375864 | Report this post

R  
Years ago

Gonna be hard to top Centrals lineup from last year. Arguably the best the state has ever seen I think.

Reply #375871 | Report this post

;  
Years ago

Where is STurt's?

Reply #375893 | Report this post

Years ago

other than forum banter or observational reasons - 'announcing" your coaches on the internet is just some PR.

if anyone is dinkum about knowing who is coaching D1 and the club has actually made the appointments - contacting the JDO will reveal who is doing what.

Reply #375927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get with the times.

Professional organisations across the world have BIOs of their senior executives and in the case of basketball teams their coaching staff. Why can't our local clubs get more professional in actively recognising the skillsets, qualifications and experience of their coaches and setting the benchmark for their own coaches to aspire to as well as those externally. It's called being open, transparent and accountable.

It also helps make parents/athletes make informed decisions on their commitments to a club and helps them ask the right questions of their club and others.

Reply #375931 | Report this post

Years ago

as i said "announcing" just for internet surfers or window shoppers.

all clubs will appoint their D1 coaches in due course.

none of these appointments on club websites - have any bios attached.

i agree though some websites could be updated and bit prouder.

Reply #375933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure that clubs would want people who are going to move to their club because of 1 div 1 coach they like.

Those same people are more likely to move a season or 2 latter, again to another coach who they like.

Why would clubs want these people???

If you want to move to a club, do it because of the coaching you see across all grades in previous seasons, that would be your best indicator of coaching over the next 2 - 4 years.

Reply #375937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

, - It shows professionalism. No you are right there is no Bio's but most people can put a face to a name. It is a difference between an active JDO and a lazy one.

Reply #375944 | Report this post

lettuceeatcake  
Years ago

Anyone else see the irony of Bell and Holland both coaching div 1 teams for the same club in the wake of the magic/warriors fiasco?

Reply #376108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is digraceful that Bell helps set up Magic (for the bad of basketball), then leaves and goes to Fville. ... All about her.

Reply #376131 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Well I guess she thought she could get Div 1 teams at Magic and when she couldn't bring that off......

Reply #376137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She pissed off. She is the reason basketball is in a mess out in the West.

Reply #376153 | Report this post

G......T  
Years ago

I say let magic in Div 1 and 2 and see how they go.

How about a grading carnival to find out which teams should be in div 1 and div 2

No automatic entry into the top district grades

Reply #376178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Western Magic is a experiment that ruined the Warriors big time,now its time to ban them & proclaim Woodville as the only club in that part of town.All the founding fathers have left and the ship to sink, truly ungraceful.

Reply #376189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol magic

Reply #376215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If both these ladies had been able to put aside their petty grievances there would would have been a strong viable woodville/magic in the comp instead of a dying woodville girls and dead but doesn't know it magic.

Reply #376239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey ,who is this Corey guy that got booted out of West that everybody is talking about all over Hoops he should take over at st Clair & prove he can get the job done.Even if he is as half as good as im hearing he is more than qualified for the position.dude we need somebody to make this Warriors /Magic thing go down-are you up to it?

Reply #376266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumor from Norwood is 3 current Central coaches about to coach at the flames in 12 / 13 season on the girls side .

I wonder does that mean they are bringing girls with them ?

Reply #376283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

irish invasion perhaps.... surely norwood are not that dumb but then again country kids worth more than the trouble the leprechauns will bring

Reply #376290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know of a club that a coach has returned to coach div1 so their child can play in the team!

Reply #376297 | Report this post

R  
Years ago

Norwood are in for more than they bargained for, but that's their problem.

Centrals going to have a hard time replacing those who made up part of the greatest coaching lineup ever assembled next season?

Shame, I was looking forward to the press release. I assume it'll be tame by comparison now.

Reply #376298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone know who the tigers div 1 coahes are, they have trials this week but no coach announcements

Reply #376303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

R, you can't tame a Lion! It's coming.

Reply #376307 | Report this post

mimas  
Years ago

The 'Irish invasion' would account for two of the three coaches - who would the third be? I'm guessing the Irelands would be 14s/16s, assuming Schroeder is doing 18s, so who is the third Centrals coach heading to Norwood and are they coaching 12s?

Reply #376365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boys, James Murphy

Reply #376370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's James Murphy

Reply #376371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country coach.

Reply #376374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you country coaches love talking yourselves up. One question?? Wheres the results??

Reply #376375 | Report this post

dione  
Years ago

Murphy is the pick of the SAC coaches. In fact, he's probably the best by a country mile.

Reply #376379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would be vary careful of any head coach who does not come to all trainings and who plays favourites and brings in players from FAR distant country areas. Those players may be talented, but if they don't train they affect team balance.

Reply #376384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dione, the results of the U16 Div 1 boys competition for the last 3 seasons:

Sturt: 40W/48G, +26 pt win average
Forestville: 38/48, + 13 pt
North: 31/48, +10 pt
Norwood: 30/48 + 9 pt
Southern: 27/48, -1 pt
Eastern: 21/47, 0 pt
West: 19/48, -5 pt
Centrals: 12/48, -16 pt
Woodville: 10/47, -17 pt
South: 6/48, -19 pt

Your team Norwood has been doing well.

Reply #376410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

do that now with the 18's and see if there is a improvement

Reply #376413 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

Country kids or coaches aren't the problem but weak clubs who are desparate for players and coaches are ! Most clubs have a rigid training attendance policy that accommodates country players, who by the way, put in as many training hours per week as their metro counterparts as well as up to 8 hrs travel/week.
The 'Irish' invasion maybe correct but both those coaches reside in metro areas !

Reply #376419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

413, Norwood always seem to be strong in 16s and 18s. It's the younger ages that haven't done so well.

Reply #376424 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nikki Ireland is a great coach. Norwood is closer to her and her sister is playing ABL there. IF she moves to Norwood then that will be a big loss to Centrals. Ben Wigzell has slipped through Central's net as well.

Reply #376429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Irish performance at centrals - results speak for themselves , under14 girls into nationals,classics and finals !!! What a pity any at centrals don't see past the boys program to notice this !! Consequence will probably be an exodus of players leaving girls program in disarray

Reply #376432 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Barry,
The training attendance point is so valid. If players are not attending training then their position on the team should be questioned as it affects team balance, they do not know the plays and the coach cannot work on their development. Country based players do have the travel disadvantage, but they also usually play in their own league and usually a second sport.

Regardless of their situation, players need to attend at least one session per week and clubs need to be strong enough to reprimand or drop players who fail to attend training without a valid reason. Consider three actual teams 4 seasons ago.

Team A: 69% attendance: Won 0 of 13 games
Team B: 79% attendance: Won 3 of 13 games
Team C: 86% attendance: Won 8 of 14 games

Reply #376435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry but prefer Norwood to be stronger than centrals. No starplex trip

Reply #376441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No changes to Norwood under 12 coaches div 1 and 2 , that part of the problem going forward . Just watch the under 12 girls play and you will see! Sisters have to go , no improvement in program for 3 years = poor results = coaching movement.

Which has happened in the 14 and 16 div 1 coaches

Reply #376448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's right 14's div 1 coach will be the 18 girls div 2 coach a good right for Troy but pressure on him to perform . As this will be the best group of girls that he has had .The 16 div 1 coach has moved to South to run that program in same age group after not being offered same position at Norwood

Reply #376454 | Report this post

Mad Season  
Years ago

No word from Southern about their coaching lineup next season?

Reply #376462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darren smith knows

Reply #376463 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Bell and Holland - now thats a great combo for harmony. Perhaps can talk about the farce that is now Magic and why they not still coaching there. Seems that the great magic experimemnt they were so passionate about has failed.The hit taken by magic to loose these 2 coaches and drivers making the program suffer - need back to rebuild. Magic are still viable and are building profile despite opposition - great promotion is working as more teams than ever expected.

Reply #376509 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

not sure if holand and bell were at magic together - know still bell at magic though doing great job with limited resources

Reply #376541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Holland was never at magic.

Reply #376548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will the Div 1 coaching line up for all clubs be released?

Reply #376636 | Report this post

Years ago

ask the jdos

Reply #376648 | Report this post

disgruntled  
Years ago

jdo going to coach a div1 team to make sure their kid is in the side although not up to div 1 standard now that's bewildering!!

Reply #376676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which club?

Reply #376678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nikki Ireland coaching her last game for Centrals tonight against her new team, Norwood. I hear a lot of that team is following her, so there could be a few Norwood feathers ruffled when they get bumped to Div 2

Reply #376937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not her last game ... Finals then Nationals.

Unless you're saying that Centrals aren't allowing her to continue?

Reply #376942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are you implying the irelands are going to give country kids favourable treatment over better metro kids??? well, I never heard such a thing.

Reply #376957 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Wup, Wup, Wup, Warning Sarcasm alert!

957, the sarcasm meter has gone off the scale following your post and you are hereby charged with Level 1 Sarcasm. We could impose a penalty, but sarcasm only works on smart ones.

Norwood could be the new Centrals. Norwood is Centrals "minus the white"? Will anyone in U14 girls Div 1 actually reside within a 5 km radius of MARS, or will they just don the red and blue tops on a Friday night? Will Norwood insist on a token "local" in that team? Does anyone actually know what mid-week training is?

Reply #376966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgruntled which club?

Reply #376978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's easy have a trial with new girls from Centrals and the girls from Norwood . The best 8 make Div 1 and the rest play div 2. , couldn't be easier .No poltics just ability

Reply #376979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except coaches promise things to get people to change clubs - it happens all the way up to their ABL teams

Reply #376980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, I usually love your posts, but how is it relevant whether or not the girls live within 5km of MARS?

Basketball in SA is not zoned, therefore players have the right to choose any of the ten clubs to play at. Physical location has nothing to do with it.

Reply #376988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one has the problems Southern has!

Some of the best coaches have not even been told about trials this Sunday as they dont fit Mr Smiths grand plan.

After the strides this Club made it is all falling down due to a commmittee that can not comtrol this man.

The AGM can not come soon enough!

Reply #376989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern will make the right decisions. Brenton Davies you should be ashamed to be posting stuff about a club that put up with your crap as president. The committee are obviously still mopping up after your mess where all decisions were based around you and your kids.

Reply #376999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By what I've heard from some players in the seniors, the above comment is soo true. I have been told there is a rumour that this Brenton guy wants an aba gig to secure his daughters spot.

Reply #377003 | Report this post

Daddys Girl  
Years ago

I've heard that as well,he has done it his whole career alternating between his kids to advantadge whichever one needs the most nuturing !!!!!!
Also heard the whole family may soon be at Woodville :)

Reply #377006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I heard that the politics at Southern never change. Hopefully Sturt's pre-trials go well today.

Reply #377008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon 989, Which ones are the best coaches that haven't been told about Southerns trials? Have they expressed their desire to keep coaching? So much speculation and so little answers. Surely you must know the answers...

Reply #377013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who ever but those lies on here about Brenton have got NO idea......YOU should be ashamed!!!!You all are listening to rubbish.

Reply #377016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now if Corey was to marry Ireland and move to Southern, problem solvered.

Reply #377023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lions Div 1 coaching lineup announced.

Reply #377026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where?

Reply #377039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all centrals news is posted on the kadina website or head office.

Reply #377045 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

I would think think Norwood would be begging centrals players to prop up their girls program, given nor woods win loss record in 14 and 16 girl this season !! Don't get too excited the best centrals players are moving to west and sturt for family reasons so Norwoods 'local' players won't be affected and they can continue to play div 1 and lose regularly. Check your facts, i hear it is unlikely Nikki ireland is coaching anywhere next season.

Reply #377047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Check your own facts Bruce. Nikki has already been announced as Norwood u14 coach. Apparently she was at trials last week, along with quite a few centrals girls.

Reply #377048 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

And u16 ??

Reply #377051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't know who any of Norwood 16 girls coaches are , as of last week they didn't have or appointed anyone in Div 2 or 3......guess the jdo's will have to do it !

Reply #377068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

068, these appointments are very political so they are keeping it under wraps until closer to the season.

Reply #377137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mail is U16 Girls Div 1 is Ben Wigzell.

Reply #377635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey is a warrior now

Reply #377657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The good ship 'warrior' hit a reef and sank because of a coaching line up designed to send what few players they have, to other clubs.

Reply #377665 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Rupert Sapwell div 1 coach at Centrals for the under 12 boys......

Reply #379530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, that will be his son's team. Centrals Div 1 coaches have been up on their website for a few weeks now.

Reply #379532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrals had a policy of no coach coaching their own child. Obviously that rule has gone out the window. The same will be happening in another div 1 grade too.

Reply #379541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not true! Where is this policy written?

Reply #379542 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Most clubs have that policy, and it's sparingly adhered to. Why? Because clubs need coaches. The policy makes sense, but enforcing it and running out of coaches is just foolish.

Reply #379543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha ha ha, stop kidding yourself.

Reply #379545 | Report this post

ex Lion  
Years ago

A good example of why we switched clubs. One rule for one, one for another

Reply #379555 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

Whatever way you look at it the Sapwell appointment at lions is a further boost for the lions boys program and maybe shows the trinity/lions link is working !! Now with a boys premiership under their belt they won't ever shut up !!

Reply #379656 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The appointment of Sapwell and Ricky Simpson are very clever moves. Sapwell is the head of sports at Trinity. A school that has 3,000 kids or something like that spread over 5 schools. Simpson runs the courts at Starplex and runs his basketball academy as well.

The experience those two men bring to the table should turn Centrals into the "Sturt of the North"

Reply #379665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack, I think that's a big call!!

However, for someone that's been involved with basketball for a long time as a coach and now parent of a child playing I find the evolution of Lions basketball to be a unique and fascinating story to observe.

They still seem to have a hell of a long way to go though!!!

Reply #379670 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Could be a big call, but it's up to them to take advantages of their opportunities

Reply #379673 | Report this post

Vesta  
Years ago

Yeah, Cause his team got so much better this year.

I find it interesting that so many ex players are only willing to coach when it is their kids involved. And are unwilling to coach other peoples kids.

Reply #379674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack,

Would Sapwell and Ricky know a girls program exist? Sturt are strong on both sides.

Reply #379687 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

best thing good ship did was sail away with old tired crew - look at program and tell if its been successful only "one direction"
new horizon await with eagle on horizon

Reply #382722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woop Woop I'll have what he's ^^^ having please

Reply #382730 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:13 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754