NBL Fan
Years ago

What will be the next NBL Team?

I want to know your thoughts on where the next NBL team will be from and when it will happen. I want a Brisbane team back next season.

Topic #29087 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne 2nd team playing at Knox. Has to be done first

Reply #376214 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Years ago

There won't be, I think that it may go semi-pro in a couple of seasons.

Reply #376217 | Report this post

Nba agent  
Years ago

Should the nbl perhaps look at doing a development team or a seabl all star team, so players like cj massingale, shaun bruce, mitch norton, matt Andronicos, erik burdon type players get to show what they are like and devlope young aussie talent and give imports the chance to play and potentially get a contract.

Reply #376218 | Report this post

swisher  
Years ago

I guess the second Melbourne team is most likely. There were rumors about the Tinkler group financing a team out of Newcastle. I guess Brisbane is the one we want. It would be good to have all the major cities represented.
But the league needs stability not teams in and out of the competition. I'd love to see teams from all of the above, but we need them to be stable.
I alos wonder if there is enough Australian talent, now that we have gotten used to a higher standard of Aussies and the imports don't dominate the leause anymore. Would we need to open up to 3 imports to keep the standard up?

Reply #376219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would like to see a Wellington team given they gain sustain financially. There should some other guys from NZ could play in this level.

Reply #376223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a team back in tassie !

Reply #376225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say dont add another team for another 2 - 5 years, It looks really bad for the league when one drops out. Itsthe worst kind of publicity for the league. I agree. 3 import rule... but really to sustain that we probably need more money into the league

Reply #376226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another Melbourne team, then a Queensland/Brisbane team to follow. This news of wait 2-5 years and the NBL slipping is just rubbish negative talk with no merit. League has started to make marketing and free to air positive moves, slow progress but its on. They showed they have the balls to kick a team without the requirements out of the comp in the GC case. All positives for the game in this country.

Reply #376227 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

There might be a dozen new teams, all with salary expenditure of over $2mill each. We just have to wait til Daniel Eade starts his new rebel league.

Reply #376231 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Yes nathan tinkler's group hunter sports wants to fund a newcastle NBL team. close to another melbourne team but i really hope a brisbane team come back, i know i will be involved from a sponsorship level when they do, but from what i hear, finance is still the biggest issue.

Reply #376234 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

There should be NO other teams added until they league can sort its shit out at the moment. Once all the current teams can sustain themselves financially and have a decent fan base, the league is publicised and marketed well then it is pointless. It's been proven enough over the last 10 years... Unless somebody coming in can put CASH up enough to cover the entry costs, salaries (all personnel), running costs etc etc etc, for about 2-3 years, then no person should be given a team right now. The league needs to treat this like a business more than they do, so they should expect any new team to be at a loss for 2 years. The new teams should also have sponsorship dollars commited on their proposal to the league.

League also needs to open doors for more imports and make salary cap the same for all players, so imports can earn minimum also. The points cap needs to be kicked out too, it is holding back the league so much and is out dated.

In the end, Melbourne or another NSW team are most likely, and probably the most viable, along with maybe Tasmania?

Reply #376237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd love to get back in to the NBL but I can't stand the player rating system. I understand the intention but it just doesn't work in an apparently top league.

Reply #376240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey, a team from Brisbane or Melbourne could help the league become more financially sustainable. I agree they definitely DO need to have a sustainable model themselves before being let in.

Reply #376243 | Report this post

Boomer  
Years ago

Second Melbourne team out of the 3000 seat venue out at Knox's new stadium is just about good to go backed by a computer company allegedly.

Reply #376250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the Dragons owners decided to pull the pin 3 years ago, they should have had the cojones to re-launch the league so it looked like this...

Merge Cairns and Townsville = 1 x North Queensland Team (I know this probably wouldn't work, but the league doesn't need 2 teams up there. The communities do, the league doesn't. They could easily play SEABL or QBL and dominate.

Brisbane WHATEVER

Wollongong

Melbourne Tigers

Melbourne WHATEVER

Adelaide 36ers

Perth Wildcats

Sydney Kings

Solid Super League. One import inside the cap, one franchise player

Reply #376252 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

The NBls turning into a graveyard of defunct teams and it only gets worse every year. people are forgetting that the 36ers (who are a landmark team of the league) almost found themselvesout of the league earlier this season due to there own stupidity and missmanagement. no more new teams, they all try and fail. go with the league as it is for another 2 years and quit trying to bring in teams in areas just because it sounds good. Brisbane will have to wait, melbournes second team will need to wait. not til they prove they can enrich the league in some way should it even be considered.

Reply #376253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely with the new state basketball centre in Melbourne you would want an NBL team to play there next season? If it eventually gets its capacity up to 5000 then it is a perfect place to play and should come very cheap (if Knox can afford it). It is the stadium Melbourne has needed for a long time and in the right area.

Reply #376258 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Commercially the league needs a Brisbane team and would preferably have a second Melbourne team. They will help the league attract better TV ratings and better sponsorship deals.

They need to have sound long-term business models though, and BA needs to show leadership to iron out the politics that seems to have been hampering bids from both places.

Reply #376262 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Can anyone tell me why NBL teams struggle financially?

From the face of it, French ProA teams, Bundesliga teams and teams from other smaller leagues seem to be able to survive with competitive salaries even though they don't get extraordinarily big crowds (This is just my assumption, not sure if its reality)

Why do NBL teams struggle-- Crowd figures aren't dismal.

Is it because of the commercial side of things? Does the NBL not receive enough through sponsorship and commercial deals?
Is it because of the cost of leasing venues for games in Australia is excessively high?

Reply #376313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ceos coming in and out, getting involved in politics creatingbetwee different parties, now theres two thngs that make those WITH money not WANT to.get involved. stop blaming a lack of money and financial stability all the time and wake up to what inside turgid knowledge has been uncovered here. for nbl to.get more teams they themselves as an organisation need to be solid. nobody will bring money into it if nbl and bq politics keeps deciding everything. very easyto say theres no stability in teams and that may be the case. but ecen worae stability in the nbl heirachy itself? screw that wih a big black stick say those with money to burn. please try to keep up its not that hard

Reply #376335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and at last count tinkler already went to the.media.and said.he had exact sam probs wih the nbl himself. so finding money isnt nbls biggest challenge. its finding integrity within themselves and their disorganised dishonest dealings that causes those with.money to.get turned off and spend it where its appreciated. nbl is obsessed with.creating new drama without fixing its existing ones first.

Reply #376336 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

MACDUB, there's more commercial sponsorship dollars available in France, Germany, Italy etc.

Reply #376351 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:10 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754