Isaac
Years ago

Taipans confirm dev players Bruce and Andronicos

The Skytrans Cairns Taipans are pleased to announce the signing of 208cm Power Forward, Matt Andronicos and Point Guard Shaun Bruce, as Development Players for the upcoming 2012/13 iiNet NBL Championship season.
Full release

Good selections? People seem pretty positive about Shaun Bruce?

Topic #29098 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not good for local talent.

Reply #376356 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Local Talent has had it's chance. Jimmy and Matty will still be training players but if the Taipans are to remain sustainable they need to attract young up and coming players from around the country. Great signing.

Reply #376373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can remember watching Bruce play for the 36ers development squad when they played the under 20 state team when Aaron was on the squad. He outplayed Daly and Warbout who were the dev players at the time while he was on the court. Has played well the last few seasons in SEABL and by the looks fearne really rates him highly!

Reply #376389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Locally there are no true bigs or PGs ready for the NBL so it's good to bring in outside players to fill those spots. As the poster above wrote, the local lads are still training players with the possibility of one of them being the final DP to be signed.

Reply #376401 | Report this post

win  
Years ago

Isn't Kerry Williams local?

Reply #376489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish call!

These guys get 1 minute game time in probably 7 homes if lucky.

COMMUNITY TEAM should have locals.

Reply #376508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Except the locals had their chance and struggled. I'm in the community and want to win a ring too. Both these development players are Gunna be special in future

Reply #376515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Isn't Kerry Williams local?"

Sure he is local but not competing for a DP position which is what this thread is about. He now has a contracted PG position for the coming season.

"Rubbish call!

These guys get 1 minute game time in probably 7 homes if lucky.

COMMUNITY TEAM should have locals."

Hopefully with a much better core roster this coming season the DPs will have more playing time. Most games were too close previously to give the DPs much court time. As a team I would think they would all prefer a win.

Mitchell and Adekponya are in the training squad and teams are allowed 3 DPs so time will tell. But you can't tell me that either of these or any other player in Cairns could act as substitute if for example Loughton or Tragardh is injured for an extended period of time, hence a good signing in Andronicos. All the local bigs are overseas - Jawai, Baynes, Hill, and dare I say Ellwood.

Adekponya could play PG but the Taipans have signed Bruce who is an excellent ball handler and still young at 20. Coach's decision and I repeat there are no local PGs available for NBL as too undersized.

Comino would have been another player closely looked at after a stellar QBL season cut short by injury. Unsure if C Ahwang still training with Taipans.

Reply #376544 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I kinda disagree with the "locals as DPs only" thing.

I think it's a discredit to the local guys to consider them over guys from elsewhere who are more talented. I'm sure they would want to be judged on their merits alone too.

Seeing guys who clearly have no future in professional basketball filling DP spots just because there was no better local player is a bit sad in my opinion, and it gives them false hope.

I think the best young kids in the country should get a run in the big league, period. You will naturally have more local DPs because they are being watched more closely by the NBL club due to their innate proximity, so it helps the community anyway. No need for any hard and fast rules.

Reply #376721 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754