Years ago

is netherlands a rising force ?

see the dutch cleaned us up in the u17g worlds - WTF ???

or are they a one horse show with one player getting 29 pts ?

never new hoops was on the agenda for the orange power ?

wonders will never cease.... amybe we will do better in curling !

Topic #29103 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

The Dutch are on average the tallest nation in the world, I believe. Even taller than the Sudanese.

Reply #376472 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Theyre 2-1 at this WCs with wins over Turkey and Aus. Their older age group has come 4th and 5th at the past two U18 Euros, so they obviously have some talent coming through.

This age group went 6-3 but finished 9th in last year's U16 Euros, losing comfortably to the big teams. So this is a little bit of a surprise but homecourt advantage is a big thing and U17s can be quite unpredictable.

Reply #376476 | Report this post

Abc123  
Years ago

Have a look at the shooting figures for both teams from this game, also have a look at the shooting percentages for the Dutch before this game.

They rode the crowds support (way out numbered the Aussies, but we did the best we could) they rode their momentum and gave the ball to the hot hand shooters as often as possible

Reply #376480 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

More likely to crack the top ten in cricket in the next 10 years than senior basketball i reckon.

Reply #376485 | Report this post

rotateonthis  
Years ago

Can i hear a R - I - K Smmmmmittttts !

Reply #376492 | Report this post

Years ago

breakout your clogs )

Reply #376495 | Report this post

Cmon Aussies  
Years ago

think we had 25 more shots....Many low percentage shooters..

Reply #376498 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Looking at how they are going, their senior women actually played in the Eurobasket Div A (second div effectively) last year for the first time in a long time and won four games, against Croatia, Ukraine, Finland and Belgium.

Croatia was a massive win, they ended up in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament. So that combined with their U18 results shows they are obviously doing something with their women's program.

But even with the world of hoops slowly leveling out it's still a game you would expect an Aussie team to win, even at U17s.

I am also certain Im not the only one tired of hearing an Australian team has lost because of a bad shooting night!

Reply #376516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shooting is not taught in Oz. Coaches promote hardworking defenders (not necessarily smartworking)over offensively skilled...as most coaches themselves have never been skilled players themselves.

Reply #376536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 536 on the money.

Reply #376554 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:55 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754