Isaac
Years ago

Hawks sign import guard Lance Hurdle

188cm from the D-League. Not much more mentioned in the Hawks' article. Hurdle's first pro contract - Gordie likes trying to unearth gems. Hopefully this isn't going to turn out like the last 2-3.

Can't really work out what the plan for is with this guy - would he be a PG? Stats seem to show 2-3 APG. Takes and makes the three, but nothing else stands out. SG alongside Martin? Is there a PG import to come?

Topic #29122 | Report this topic

pwned  
Years ago

Does this free up money for a better 2nd import? General consensus had the Hawks splashing out on a 'bigger name' Combo, then getting a no frills big.

Reply #376694 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Numbers are fairly modest:
13.2 PPG, 2.7 ASS, 3.3 REBS in 31.8 minutes a game.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/lance_hurdle/

Reply #376695 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hurdle doesn't seem to be a no-frills big, or a known, more-expensive combo guard.

Hoping they still get a combo guard and this guy's a wildcard.

Reply #376696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Mercury did Mentioned that they are close to signing a second import guard,The Mercury did also say that they are on the verge of finalising the Playing roster with the imminent signing of an Australian Forward just wondering could that guy be Auryn Macmillan

Reply #376700 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The Aussie big man will be Auryn Macmillan..

Reply #376701 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Please don't be Auryn Macmillan. He is a retard!

Reply #376703 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Hmmm.. seems abit underwhelming if compared to other import guards in recent years?

Time will tell I guess.

Must have came cheap and/or Deleon must have wanted too much cash?

They really need a big banger F/C import now if they are to do anything but fight Sydney for the Wooden Spoon.

Reply #376704 | Report this post

Doesn't look impresive, have a little article on www.nbl.com.au. Hawks really need to look at an experienced big as an import.

Reply #376713 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why do they need an experienced big? They have Davidson and Forman who have a bit of experience between them, plus Gruber and Coenraad can play PF.

Now those guys aren't quite dominant in their positions, but in their most successful recent seasons, their rotation was largely Davidson/Forman/Gruber/Behrendorff or Davidson/Tragardh/Gruber(?), etc. Catron didn't improve their frontcourt fortunes last year. In those years, they had strong combo guards (Ervin and McKee). In one year, they made finals; the other, if it weren't for Saville's injury, they would've done the same.

I'd rather see an import guard and someone like Coenraad playing bigger than an import big and Coenraad playing more SF or even SG.

Really surprised they didn't grab Deleon and hopefully they still might, though Nat suggests it's unlikely now.

AndTheFoul has tipped Martin starting at PG and Hurdle at SG.

Reply #376718 | Report this post

Gman  
Years ago

Best to just add a quick PG who can drive and dish to the shooters, play some run and gun and small ball.
This signing is definately a SG , team needs to add quickness , this isn't really a big league

Reply #376722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They just got him for his name.

Reply #376725 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Those stats are a little misleading.. last season in the NBDL he started the first half of the season off the bench. Most of the 2nd of the year he started and averaged 25ppg including a few games where he dropped 8 3s

Reply #376731 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

**Most of the 2nd half of the year!!!!!!

Reply #376733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems ok to me, not neccisarrily a stud but atleast at the level of most of the import guards from last year if he maintains his NBDL stats, Chris Warren averaged similar in the NBL last year, not a stud import but decent at the same time imo.

Reply #376744 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit more height than Warren at least.

I think the Hawks have considered Warren actually at one or two points.

Reply #376749 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"at the level of most of the import guards from last year"

At the level of Lisch, Jackson, Wilson, Gill, Ubaka and Deleon? His college numbers are well behind the two Warrens from last year.

Glad to hear he had a big second half the year in the D-League, his story of improvement reminds me a little bit of Craig Winder who could have been a decent role-playing SG in the NBL but was a woeful PG.

As always with new imports time will tell, and like a lot of his new teammates Hurdle will benefit from a quick PG who can create good looks.

Reply #376761 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Illawarra Mercury article suggests a second import guard is on the cards. Hope they're right.

Hawks have also signed MacMillan, just to piss off anon...

Reply #376766 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As soon as anon wrote that I was sure theyd sign him!

Reply #376771 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@natwhereyouat - not sure where you're getting your stats from... here's what Lance Hurdle averaged in March-April of he NBADL 11/12 season (including 3 playoff games):

GMS 19
MPG 33.5
PPG 12.6
FG% 35
3P% 35
APG 2.3

This includes zero games where he scored 21+ points, and zero games with 6+ made treys. Also, I'm unsure how he could average 25ppg when he eclipsed that mark 4 times in >40 games...

He's likely not a BAD player, but a typical inefficient combo guard that's mores suited to SG.

Hawks fans had better hope their 2nd import is an absolute stud, otherwise you'll be battling with the Tigers for the wooden spoon.

Reply #376793 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Had eight threes twice in 2011-12 going by this game log. DLeague stats seem to be a bit all over the place.

Reply #376802 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He looks like he's a dangerous three-point shooter, his last five stints in the NBA-D have brought 40%, 45, 37, 52 and 36%. I

He doesnt look anything like a star, but if the PG is someone to create looks Hurdle could definitely fit in well at the Hawks who like to shoot the 3-ball. It sounds like he is quite quick and athletic too, which the Hawks need.

Reply #376809 | Report this post

JJJ  
Years ago

Would he suit playing off Gary Ervin?

Reply #376814 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ervin has already signed overseas. Deleon is who I'd be hoping for as a Hawks fan. Cross your fingers!

Reply #376816 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Please not Deleon.

I like the Hawks as one of my "second favourite teams".

I can't root for them if they have Deleon...

Reply #376898 | Report this post

Nix 84  
Years ago

Homicide would be a good fit with the Hawks???

Reply #377199 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754