Vart
Years ago

Dane Pineau commits to Saint Mary's College

http://www.mercurynews.com/college-sports/ci_21380792/australian-dane-pineau-commits-play-saint-marys-college

The Australian pipeline is alive and well for the Saint Mary's College men's basketball team.

Dane Pineau, a 6-foot-9 forward who attends Melbourne Grammar School in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, has orally committed to be the third member of the Gaels' 2013 recruiting class.

"I'm really excited to come play for the Gaels," Pineau said. "I went over for a visit in late December and the people over there were just great."

Pineau has most recently been a member of the Australian under-19 national team, known as the Emus. He'll look to make that team again next year for the World Championships, and said he will likely target sometime in July to make Moraga his home.

Asked what his strengths are on the court, Pineau said he tries to bring a high energy level to the game. He said he's comfortable both getting up and down the court and finishing around the basket.

And, he's not unfamiliar with the United States, having lived in New York from 1999-2002. His father, Brad, played collegiately at Hawaii and went on to play for the Melbourne Tigers of Australia's National Basketball League.

While other American schools did contact Pineau, he said there wasn't much doubt where he would end up.

"There were a couple others I was considering," Pineau said. "The thing was, I always wanted to come to Saint Mary's."

It also didn't hurt that the Gaels had a secret weapon in recruiting. Pineau said that getting to know star guard Matthew Dellavedova during his visit helped make up his mind.

"He's an amazing player and he's an amazing guy too," Pineau said. "I got to talk to him when I went over and it seemed like (the program) would be pretty awesome to be a part of."

With Pineau's commitment, Gaels coach Randy Bennett now adds a skilled post presence to an already-impressive recruiting class. Pineau joins guard Cullen Neal of Eldorado-Albuquerque (N.M.) and swingman Calvin Hermanson of Lake Oswego (Ore.) as 2013 commits.

"Relieved is a good word. It's nice to have it over and done with," Pineau said. "I'm really glad the decision was to go to Saint Mary's."

Topic #29133 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Nice one! SMC needed a young post prospect and now they have it!

The Aussie connection is set to continue! SMC also chasing Exum, but apparently have another Aussie guard on their radar as well - Djeric?

Reply #376840 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Think its another 2013 kid and wouldnt Djeric be a 2014? Scuttlebutt is its a guard and he commited last year but neither wanted to go public yet with the information so who knows

Only thing I remember about Dane is him in the Stankovic Cup looking like a 15yr old trying to defend against the Chinese Olympic team who were pushing everyone else around with ease :p

Reply #376843 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Seen him run around in Big V this year....he isn't a post player at all! Good pick up for SMC as a strech 4 man.

He plays more of a 3/4 with good mid range jumper and great reader of the play with good off ball movement so he will be suited with a strong point guard finding him in the right spots.

Reply #376849 | Report this post

RUFUS  
Years ago

SMB LADS

Reply #376850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what happens with AIS new strategy of going after players after they have finished HS? Surely they would have wanted Dane there? Great decision by Dane, terrible strategy by the AIS.

Reply #376855 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

You ask me the AIS went stupid changing the things they way they have, they have too many attractive options once they've graduated from High School.

The best players will either A) Go pro and get paid in the NBL/Seabl/Europe etc or B) Go to College state side and gain a degree while playing Ball.

How exactly does is the AIS a better option then those?, I don't see the best of the younger kids staying around in the program.. Dante/Simmons have already decided there NCAA bound when there old enough

Reply #376858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok Deng destroyed this kid at nationals. Why didn't St Mary's go after him instead?

Reply #376868 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Anon: Maybe they did. Maybe he doesn't want to go to college. Maybe his academics won't allow him to go to college.

If he's better than Pineau, is able, and wants to go to college I'm sure he can find a place.

Reply #376870 | Report this post

Charon 40  
Years ago

Majok is going to college, he had interest from NC State and Boston college, however the subjects he did at high school meant he is ineligible so he is going to Indian Hills Community College and will progress from there.

Reply #376877 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Deng has the talent but not quite the smarts...hence the college he is going to.

Pity cause Deng has alot of talent but great athletes like Deng are a dime a dozen in US so got to have the book smarts to.

Reply #376889 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

I remember Brad teaming up with Mark Leader as the imports at Devonport, Tas when they were in the NBL.

Reply #376967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if I'm correct Deng Deng from Waverley committed to LSU

Reply #377010 | Report this post

Mark  
Years ago

Good one Rick, im that old i can remember Danes father Brad and Mark Leader playing for Devonport as well.
Are you the same Rick who i used to shoot baskets with after NBL games in Devonport?

Reply #377110 | Report this post

The kid can absolutely ball! He is an unreal talent and youre correct in saying he is a stretch 4.

On the AIS - why would anyone in their right mind send their kid to the AIS if the kid is truly a Student-Athlete. The academic program that the AIS runs in conjunction with Lake Ginindara is horrendous, so if a kid like Dane is talented enough to make an Aussie Rep team and get a quality education at a school like Melbourne Grammar then why would he leave?

If schools like Caulfield Grammar & Melbourne Grammar, etc are able to offer these kids (including Dane and other Aus representatives like Josh Oswald and Micky Luxford - both at CGS) a high quality education, and their abilities and home-grown coaching means they make the team then I would be staying at home too.

Look at the u17 men's team that went to Lithuania. Of that team there were 3 players who attend the AIS. Of the other 9, 5 were Victorian. Of those 5, 4 attend private schools in Melbourne and the other (Ben Simmons) attends Box Hill Senior Sec.

You don't need to go to the AIS to make an Aus team, and if you can get a better education, stand yourself in better stead for future life, and still improve as a baller, there is no reason to go. At all.

Reply #377531 | Report this post

BBallRUS  
Years ago

"Majok Deng destroyed this kid at nationals." I watched the Nationals U20 grand final and yes, Pineau was beat pretty bad. Deng scored 21 in the first half against him. But he is a year older. Deng was in turn destroyed by Venky Jois who kept Deng to just 2 points in the second half. Eastern Washington must be laughing at Saint Marys missed opportunity by signing Jois last November:-)

Reply #378279 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:19 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754