Isaac
Years ago

Tom Daly wins Woollacott, Jess Mahony wins Halls

The Halls medal is determined by 3-2-1 votes from referees through the season. Mahony won the award with 40 votes, ahead of Eastern's Tess Madgen on 39 and Forestville's Olivia Thompson on 35.
Madgen won the Most Valuable Player award, which is voted on by Coaches.
Merv Harris Medal to Olivia Thompson.

All Star Five:
Mansfield (North)
Foley (Norwood)
Madgen (Eastern)
Thompson (Forestville)
Peris (North)

Best Defensive was Mahony and Coach of the Year was North's Mansfield.
The Woollacott medal is determined by 3-2-1 votes from referees through the season. Daly won the award with 32 votes, 1 clear of West Adelaide's Howard Salters Jr. on 31.

Daly received 8 first preference votes, 3 second preferences and 2 third. He won the award despite missing the last three rounds of the season due to injury, holding off fast finishing Salters.

Daly also won the Most Valuable Player award, which is voted on by Coaches.
Frank Angove Medal went to Codey Ellison.

All Star Five:
Daly (Sturt)
Miller (Centrals)
Klaosen (Sturt)
Moultrie (Norwood)
Vasiljevic (North)

Best Defensive was Todd Matthews and The Plumber Tom James-Martin got Coach of the Year.

Topic #29161 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to both winners .. well deserved

Reply #377174 | Report this post

Released  
Years ago

Not sure how Jess was not in the all star 5?
Clearly > Mansfield

Reply #377178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jess not making the All Star 5 demonstrates how the awards structure needs to be revamped. Only being allowed to select winners of each category (or position in the case of the All Star 5) from a list. Never mind if you wanted to vote for someone not on the list or in the All Star 5, two from one position. So many players are capable of playing many different positions its ridiculous you have to pigeon them into a position for the sake of allocating an All Star 5 which might not actually represent the best players in the league. Seems odd. But that said all in the 5 this year are worthy winners except the omission of the Hall's medal winner kind of invalidates that a little.

Reply #377184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The all star list is developed over the whole year based on voting by the coaches. From there a short list is developed and then a team selected. (I think by coaches)

If you miss games like Mansfield did this has more of an impact on the Halls Medal but not the ability to get in All Star Team. Obviously the coaches preferred the way Mansfield play v the Refs. Also it depends on how many other good players are in the team to take votes away in the Halls.

I think both players are extremely good and to say Mahoney is clearly better is incorrect. Just that the awards are determined by different people - do you want Refs to think you are the best or the Coaches!!

Reply #377200 | Report this post

Brick and Wall  
Years ago

Can't wait to see tom down in Mount Gambier next season playing for the Pioneers, he will be good coming off the bench in the seabl.

Reply #377201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How was Rashad Tucker's season?

Not as good as last year?

Reply #377203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mansfield is a much better all round point guard than Mahoney. Yes Mahoney is a good player, but not a fantastic point guard.

Reply #377207 | Report this post

Released  
Years ago

Anon, your obviously just someone who does not like Jess because anyone who knows basketball knows that Mahoney is a great point guard.

That's why she got 40 points in the Halls

Obviously different ref's each week and she kept polling 3 votes in nearly every game.

I acknowledge Mansfield is a good all round player but Jess is an ex Wnbl player who would have dominated the Wnbl if she had not been seriously injured shortly after being recruited to play for Lightning

Reply #377208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 208. People are allowed to have their own opinion. And mine is that she is not the best point guard in the comp. Thats not taking anything away from Jess, as she is a very good player.

Reply #377210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would rather the vote of coaches and captains as that I believe holds more merit. Umpires alot of the time vote for their favourites or don't look outside who they think is the best player.

Reply #377213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tess Madgen is clearly the best player in the competition. She missed a number of games and to only go down by 1 vote is outstanding.

Reply #377215 | Report this post

snoz  
Years ago

Australia wins bronze in the first 3v3 world competition in Greece . They lost only 1 game to the USA in the semi by 1 . Usa went on to beat France by 1 in Gold medal game . Aust beat the Ukraine by 1 in the bronze medal game . Australia were 8&1 for the comp.

Reply #377217 | Report this post

Fleagle  
Years ago

Congrats to Tom, take nothing away from him but also worthy of a mention is Millard with 38 votes

Reply #377224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you mean Ed Millard, he got 19 votes. Daly won with 32!

Reply #377228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My All Star 5 if picking the best 5 in the competition

Mahoney (Centrals)
Lewis (Norwood)
Madgen (Eastern)
Foley (Norwood)
Thompson (Forestville)

You could argue suitability of positions but to me they are the best 5.

Reply #377234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously, i think the Halls is a completlely flawed. Ref's should not be giving out the points as they are drawn to the players who have the ball the most, score the most, pretty much attract their attention. The only fair way is a independant group of 3 judges marking each match either live or via a video replay.

Mahoney was good all year, but was not even close to the best player in the competition.
If you look at the amount of points awarded to each team it is clear that it is wrong.

Norwood Flames 71
North Adelaide Rockets 75
Forestville Eagles 72
Central Districts Lions 73
Eastern Mavericks 53
Southern Tigers 56
Sturt Sabres 43
West Adelaide Bearcats 39
Woodville Warriors 26
South Adelaide Panthers 32

How is it that Centrals who lost 6 matches can get more points overall than Norwood and only just less that North who both only lost 3 times.
Norwood lost twice to Forestville and once to Eastern. While North lost twice to Norwood and once to Southern.

Also how is the defensive player measured. I hope it is not on stats as a good defensive player does not have to have stats. Restricting a player score, causing turnovers, deflections, offesive fouls drawn should all be taken into account, yet i believe non of these are.

And before everyone jumps up and down on how i must be a player, or my favourite didn't win i go for Woodville.

Reply #377237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I whole heartedly agree with the defensive player of the year comment. I'm not sure how its done ... my suspicion is they just look at steal/blocking stats.

Reply #377238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Todd Matthews prides himself on being a pest and causing opposition turnovers - are you saying that he didn't deserve defensive POTY? And the pest comment is a compliment, before someone jumps down my throat. Matthews is a star.

Or was that post about Centrals getting too many votes and how the defensive award is figured out another Mahony bash? And if you are all going to whinge about her, how about you at least spell her name right. Isaac gives it to you in the thread name, but most of you are still too stupid to get it right.

Reply #377267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Matthews is one of the best guards in the league and has been for years. I remember going to a game last year against sturt where he was all over tom daly like a rash.

Reply #377283 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Interesting memory - only played once last year. Tom 18 pts, 8 rebounds, 3 assists vs Todd's 9/9/3. Like a rash?

Reply #377590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Truslove was pretty unlucky not to get all star five!

Reply #377594 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:28 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754