Jack Toft
Years ago

ABL 2012 Grand Finals

The season has reached its pinacle and what a tight season it has been in both the mens and womens. Final positions were still being jockeyed for going into the last round and hinged on results. There's been some excitement and tears too along the way. I would like to think that the four teams playing off are the four best teams over the entire season, but I think the best thing about the grand finals this weekend is that four clubs are represented. Wouldn’t Div 1 be boring if it was two teams from the same club?

Women
North v Norwood
North have had a stellar run home to secure a grand final spot. Their players have played to the best of their abilities and should be proud of their spot. COYR Barry has choreographed his team’s course to finals like John Travolta on the dance floor. Do the flares and open neck polyester top still fit Barry? Norwood have had a great season too and dominated the competition from the opening tip-off. The Norwood team relying on oranges, not apples, for their energy, but 7 of their last 9 games have been tighter than a lift full of Sumo wrestlers.

In Round 2 Norwood won the boards and steals to take the game easily over the Rockettes. In round 11 they outshot the Rockettes and won the boards once more. In their third meeting the Rockettes jumped them in the first Q, won the boards and won the battle of the threes. Seems whoever wins the first quarter wins the game, so the first ten minutes is the key.

You would think Norwood has this in the bag given their lineup, but they are under more pressure than a traffic cop to get their monthly TIN quota. The Rockettes are well placed to take advantage of this and could put the Flames into foul trouble early. Norwood are a bit like the Titanic, said to be unsinkable, and North has the potential to be their iceberg. Whoever wins the first quarter will win the game and so I expect Norwood will come out of the blocks faster and should get a well deserved title.

Men:
Sturt vs Forestville
If there’s a boy’s or men’s grand final, you can almost put your house on it that one of the teams will be Sturt team. They truly are the Sith Lords of Basketball in this state who know how to do great junior development and get the most out of their players. But along comes the Forestville Jedi. The Jedi have had a great season and stopped the fairy tale run of Norwood last round. (I suspected the fairy tale was over when Brad Davidson didn’t arrive on his unicorn and hadn’t slaid the dragon earlier)

Sturt is all about D. In your face, niggly, pestery, grabby kinda D. The D that puts players off their game and gets under their skin like some exotic African parasite that lays their eggs that hatch larvae that squirm around and pop out of your skin leaving you scratching and on the verge of insanity. Forestville is all about offensive flair. They have an impressive arsenal at their disposal and when this is firing, they have cracked the ton 5 times out of 20 games this season, a strikerate better than Ponting, and one even Don Bradman would be proud of.

Both of these teams have good reasons to gatorade their coach, cut the net down, and lift the silverware to the adorning Adelaide Arena crowd. It’ll get down to attention to detail and I think the surgical precision of Ng will be hard to contain and the Tom Daly show will take centre stage. Let’s face it, a Woollacott means nothing unless you can drink beer out of a silver cup with your mates and spill it all over you. Forgive me Father for I about to sin, Sturt.

Topic #29194 | Report this topic

AK-47  
Years ago

"Sturt is all about D. In your face, niggly, pestery, grabby kinda D. The D that puts players off their game and gets under their skin like some exotic African parasite that lays their eggs that hatch larvae that squirm around and pop out of your skin leaving you scratching and on the verge of insanity".

Jack, you are beyond fantastic mate!

Another great read from you and agree with your predictions. Defensive pressure is something you can bring every night, offense not so much. Sometimes your shots just don't fall. Think thats what gives Sturt and Norwood the advantage going into weekend.

Reply #377676 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

Interesting to note that both teams have given up 73ppg on average this season.

Perception is always interesting versus facts....

Reply #377722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol at the traffic cop TIN quota, dont even get me started on TINS, GENS, CENS....

Reply #377742 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Gold jack

Reply #377763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doyle to burn Daly... Eagles to win by 15+

Reply #377944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

flames to win by 5, eagles to win by 10

Reply #377948 | Report this post

W final 1/2 time: Nwd 45, Nth 31.
Nwd have 10 of 12 players scored, Nth 5 of 12.
1st quarter turnovers Nth 5, Nwd 1.
Nwd scored 22 to Nth 10 in 2nd qtr.
FG: Nwd 48% Nth 35%
TO: 4 vs 11
Paint points: 24 v 14
Points off turnovers: 12 vs 2

Reply #377960 | Report this post

68-43 at 3/4 time. 23-12 pts for qtr.
Nth 17- nwd 7 turnovers.

Reply #377961 | Report this post

norwood won by 15-20

mens into o/t

Reply #377973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive comeback by the Eagles to smash a lead in OT 86-78 big turn around

Reply #377975 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Grand final MVP's?

Reply #377976 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

MVP for Men was Adam Doyle. Not sure about the women.

Reply #377977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lewis for womens, doyle mens

Reply #377978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lewis for womens, doyle mens

Reply #377979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ambulance was called into Sturts change rooms, Ng pulled a heart muscle and Daly choked on his medal

Reply #377982 | Report this post

Rizza  
Years ago

Great job Sully way to go out on a huge W!!

Reply #377984 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Don't be a dick anon982. I'm an eagles fan and loved their comeback to win but I also acknowledge that Sturt put up a great fight and played some super ball that 2nd qtr that had the Eagles rattled..

Sturt are a young team and their inexperience showed in the last quarter and o/t against a much more experienced opposition. But I have no doubt that they will be there next year.

Reply #377986 | Report this post

it was a classic match and sturts offence stagnated in the last - the daly lads did a great job - sturt could have won it with 3 shots in the last 4 seconds but the defensive pressure was too good.

sturt ran their offence well - but forestville found that little bit extra self belief to win with momentum.

Reply #377988 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's always great to see a GF go to OT.

Reply #377996 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So quiet today. I guess the forum will start moving again once those downhearted Sturt fans start gloating over their junior wins.

Reply #378043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Aha gold

Reply #378048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always great to see sturt lose...

Reply #378050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood getting it done!!
north never looked likely.. Jo hill tried all game, but as a team didn't get any offensive flow..

Reply #378066 | Report this post

Secret Sabre  
Years ago

How could we possibly be dissapointed with the performance with our boys this year? For a team with 11 out of 12 club juniors, it is a magnificent performance. To see the dissapointment on their faces after the game tells of their commitment to the club. We could go on about how we could only be beaten by a team who's best performer was not only a Sturt junior ,(and congrats to him on his continued improvement, we were hopefully all happy to see him do well) but onyl 2 of their first 7 players where club kids. Or we could look at how we are doing in U23 and Div 2 and see that this grup of people involved are setting us up as a club for a long term of success.

Well done boys. Proud as hell.

Secret Sabre

Reply #378067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hamish burns played at forestville didnt he?? dont let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Reply #378068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah this has been mentioned before I think in another thread,

3 of the Sturt ABA team were juniors elsewhere.

Reply #378071 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

Secret Sabre..You should be proud the Sturt boys did great...But don't try & take away from the Eagles boys...

Doyle - Eagles Junior
Fildes - Eagles Junior
Haydon - Eagles Junior
Deng - Eagles Junior
Harvey - Eagles Junior
Boonstoppel - Eagles Junior
Newland - Eagles Junior
Tormet - Eagles Junior
Wernham - Eagles Junior

9 Eagles Juniors in the side..is also fantastic..
(Not that I believe there is any criteria so not sure what your point is)

We could also look at how well we are doing in U23's winning summer with winter to be decided...Think we finished 2nd at end of minor rounds.

Reply #378170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't class Burns as a Forestville guy AND Doyle since Doyle moved to Forestville 1 year later than Burns did to Sturt in their junior careers.

Reply #378172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps another way of looking at this same issue is why players such as Brad Sullivan & Brad Gelach both decided to join a club like Forestville (and not somewhere else?) .... and then play for many, many years for them. Even Neil Mottram has now played in 4 seasons for the Eagles.

Reply #378238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone get over it this is state league. There are going to be players changin clubs! U can't name one club that has all juniors from their own club. Its how it is. If people want to win they'll try to go to the stronger clubs. The same happens in every sport! Deal with it!

Reply #378264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it's called trying to buy success, club loyalty died long ago with tradition, and is mainly held by the old heads that haunt forums or the bar watching and reminiscing ;)

Reply #378268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^trying to buy into success I should say.

Reply #378269 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:48 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754