Anonymous
Years ago

Nathan Tinkler's decline

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but rumours are that the 30 something, mining baron, poster child NAthan Tinkler is close to financial disaster. He was set to reestablish an NBL team in Newcastle. Seems that another basketball backer is going to be put out of action! :(:(

Topic #29229 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Told you it was a good decision by the NBL not to engage with that bloke.

Reply #378207 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

He/his management group have always dodged people and burnt bridges. At first i was all for him, until i had some talks with people within his sports management circle, now im glad the NBL never took him up on his offer.

Reply #378209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's a stupid but relevant question: How does a billionaire go broke?

Reply #378221 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

No, no that is a great question...

Any billionaires out there care to enlighten the working folk??

Reply #378247 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

You'd be surprised how many NBA players go broke 10 years after retirement

Reply #378253 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I went off , my fists in my torn pockets . My only pair of trousers had a big hole . Like a lyre I plucked the elastics of my wounded shoe.
I seen billionaires borrow a lotta money and when interest rates go up they go broke. Kerry Packer who paid cash for everything bought a lotta bargains from them.

Reply #378255 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Billionare with billion dollar debts - everything he owned he had to borrow money to get it. When he bought his first mine for $500k (really just a mining lease), he hung onto it and then sold it a few years later for several hundred million during the coal boom. Fast forward till now, he has bought and sold other mines/leases and what cash he made he plunged into horse racing, Newcastle Knights etc which have no cash flow to pay the loan back to the banks.

Now he is trying to sell these assets to get some cash back, no one is buying. So while he has say $2 billion in paper valued assets, if no one buys them or they dont generate cash, he defaults and goes bankrupt.

And there endth the lesson *Sean Connery voice*

Sad if it pans out that way for the sports / communities he helped along the way.

Reply #378286 | Report this post

Ineedmore  
Years ago

I reckon the rich going broke is easy as ABC.

Reply #378365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/09/04/why-nathan-tinkler-has-a-cash-conundrum/

Reply #378374 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754