Jack Toft
Years ago

DVD Review: Larry Bird - NBA Legend

As a Lakers fan, I had always thought Larry Bird was one of those players who was a little over-rated until I watched his highlight DVD. I knew he had an amazing 13 seasons, 3 titles and 3 consequtive MVPs to his name, but I didn't know the "Hick from French Lick" was such an intelligent player with the court sense and cunning of a hay shed cat from the cornfields of Indiana. After watching the video I would class him as a Player’s Player, one who inspired his teammates and lifted them up to his standard. I couldn’t imagine any of his teammates not wanting to be on the pine wth him. Reminds me of a local lad who played a season or two.

Anyone who has a retired number at an NBA Franchise and who is inducted into the NBA Hall of Fame is worthy of a DVD and the DVD is worth watching.

The DVD starts off in his early years and shows some great footage of him at College where his rivalry with Magic Johnson started. They had short shorts back then so just a warning for small children and those with heart complaints. Bird’s impact on the Celtics was immediate and the footage collected as part of the DVD creation shows some classic shooting and plays that would get any Celtic fan drooling like Homer Simpson over a doughnut, and any coach reaching for their whiteboard to jot the plays down.

It’s rare to find a big man (6’9”) who can shoot and dribble like a guard and the highlight reel is limited to the amount you could fit into one DVD. That’s why there’s two of them. After the special on Bird, the first DVD features a full game from one of his many playoff seasons. The highlight being him nailing a seemingly impossible 3 to force it to OT and then it goes to double OT. Bird finishes the game with 47 points. Its late in his career so the short shorts are a little baggier and the top a bit sloppier by now.

The second DVD contains two classic games. The first is game 7 in the ’88 playoffs against the Atlanta Hawks. Keep an eye out for #25 for the Hawks - Celtics fans will know who he is. The lead changes at least 22 times and Bird bags 20 points in the final quarter to lead his team to the win. The second game is the ’85 Classic against the Hawks. It’s the game where playmaker Bird gets 60 points. He probably could’ve bagged more, but didn’t want to be greedy.

A must see for all Celtic fans, and fans who just want to watch great basketball and learn a bit more about a great player.

Topic #29243 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

An amazing player, with an even more amazing story.

The numerous tales of his trash-talking prowess are some of my favourite NBA stories of all time.

Reply #378385 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They didn't say too much about his trash talking

Reply #378396 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Interesting to hear his rivals talk about him. I have a book written by Dennis Rodman ( who used to buy game footage to work out how everybody moved) said that guarding Larry was like playing a computer game.

Reply #378409 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

yeah,Larry legend......i remember buying his first book,that little green one, can't remember the name of it but i had that book for 20 years i reckon and now i cant find the bloody thing.
wow...tough beginning though,family had nothing then his dad goes and hangs himself in the garage....and Larry went on to become a legend !

to tell you the truth, i havent watched the nba since those guys retired.

Reply #378423 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Larry Bird was the reason I got into basketball.

His style of play inspired me because like me he wasn't the tallest, the strongest, the fastest nor leap the highest.

He relied on smarts and sheer determination, his hustle plays are just incredible.

Reply #378434 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

This DVD is awesome especially with the bonus games added to it.

Great story.

Legend!

Greatest white player of all time.

Greatest clutch shooter along with Reggie Miller.

Reply #378496 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The sad thing about Bird is that we may never have seen the best of him, which is a pretty scary thought. His back injury prior to the 1986 season hampered him severely as time wore on, and ended up forcing him to retire. Imagine someone as good as him, playing as well as he was in that period, being unimpeded.

And calling him the best white guy of all time isn't doing him enough justice. He is a top 5 player of all time, no question.

Reply #378501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But does this come in BluRay?

Reply #378956 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I managed to watch this DVD recently as well and was definitely worth it.

Bird reminds me in many ways of our own Andrew Gaze in the NBL...

Could shoots the lights out, was tall but no athletic, and just playd smart.

Reply #379176 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I Love the DVD with the narration by Daniel Stern. But interestingly when Larry Bird the Basketball Legend came out on DVD the Boston Globe Sports writer felt the video does not do justice to Bird's career with it going only for 45 minutes the reviewer felt it was too short.

I still love the DVD and I own it in my own collection.

Reply #379683 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754