skip
Years ago

CJ Massingale officially signs with Adelaide

"I look forward to coming to Adelaide and showing the members and fans what I can bring to the game."

Full story

Like many NBL fans, I'm excited to see if his game cuts it in the NBL.

Topic #29297 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Doesn't look particularly quick, but from that video appears to get by on doing the right things at the right time. Passing, easy lay-ups, making threes. With that spot, we needed something remotely like CJ Bruton (shooting veteran) and CJ isn't especially fast either. Wonder if that veteran effect will be negated somewhat by him being completely new to the league?

Reply #379025 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

At least it will stop all the "Massingale should be in the NBL" talk

Reply #379029 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I await the 'told you so' comments straight after his first game. Regardless of how he goes.

Reply #379030 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Yeah he does look a little slow and out of shape. Will be very interesting to see how he goes and how he fits in to Clarke's uptempo style especially on the defensive end.

Reply #379032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ the brad.... CJ is not out of shape. Controlled, mature, experienced player perhaps.. Should not be mistaken for out of shape!!!

Reply #379033 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

This isn't a comment on whether he is NBL - level or not, as I don't know anything about him, but that might have been the single most boring highlights video I've ever seen.

Reply #379038 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Based purely on the video above I'd say he'll be coming off the bench in an 8th man rotation. Something along the lines of:

C Schenscher(30)/Johnson(10)
PF Johnson(20)/Petrie(20)
SF Weigh(25)/Creek(15)
SG Gibson(20)/Massingale(15)/Creek(5)
PG Crosswell(15)/Cadee(15)Gibson(10)

Again, from the video above, does not appear explosive at all. Looks to have good court vision and seems a good passer which should help Cadee and Gibson to be able to play off the ball a little when he's on the floor. As long as he knocks the 3 ball at a reasonable clip and defends commendably its a good pick up.

Reply #379039 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Let me tell you first hand. CJ is NBL level out of shape by a long way.

Reply #379040 | Report this post

j  
Years ago

Here is Mick again with his insightful comments. Someone get him outta here!

Reply #379043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying CJ isnt especially fast is an understatement! Making shots that n make you squirm until it goes in, is the reason he still plays at this level. And he always makes them!

Reply #379047 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

surely massingale is in the lineup to make the 3 ball, and to provide experience amongst a young group.

Team looks solid...
go sixers...
haters gonna hate! :)

Reply #379050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ will definatley start over Creek! CJ has averaged over 25 points per game in the toughest basketball comp in Australia outside the NBL for a number of years now! Some of those SEABL teams would've gone close to beating some of the 36ers teams of the last few years.
I dont think Creek could get that done!!
He will end up scoring at least between 12-15 pts per game and be one of our most important players mainly because of one thing that the 36ers have certainly not had since Maher retired.

HE WILL WANT THE BALL IN THE FOURTH QRT AND WON'T BE AFFRAID TO TAKE THE BIG SHOTS!!

I would say Gibson is the only other player in the team that fits that category!!

Reply #379051 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Won't be asked to do too much so he won't have the weight of expectations that other NBL imports have on their shoulders. If he can knock down the three ball, defend, and pass at a decent level he will be a success on this team and have done his job, but "one of the most important guys on the team" is probably a bit of a stretch...

Reply #379058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's great CJ has been scoring 25 ppg in the SEABL for a number of years. Fantastic. THe difference is the caliber of athlete in the NBL compared to the SEABL is remarkably different. Taller, more athletic, stronger etc etc. I doubt if he turns up in SEABL fitness he will do very well. I look forward to him going against NBL guys, doubt he will have the same swagger.

Reply #379063 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

firstly Australian basketball itself is not exactly an athletic league so people are just been stupid here. Is Gibbo more athletic than CJ? Hell no...

CJ is an explosive scorer, he has the ability to single handedly carry a team. As far as bad highlight tape? Well you can say that's the quality of Australian highlight tape in general. Other than NBL level the single camera highlight for almost every other level is just terrible.

I'm sure you guys will eventually warm up to CJ and he'll be a better version of Homicide IMO, although like Homicide I have a feeling teams with CJ will never win a championship like Knox. In saying that he don't have the cancer attitude like Homicide either.

Reply #379065 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Homicide was a lot of things, but he wasn't a cancer.

And I don't think it's a good idea to compare this guy to him, considering their games are not really very similar in any way...

Reply #379071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide would smash Massingale, what a joke. Gibson may not be Abercrombie but he is strong as an ox. Lucky they are on the same team otherwise i can just picture CJ crying to the referees every play! Oh oops......that happens now!!

Reply #379090 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

funny that CJ himself described himself like Corey who can shoot...

Reply #379091 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

The guy looks around about as quick as me.. lol. and thats not a compliment! however seems to know how to put the ball in the hole.. and thats all the sixers really need from him. Hes not gonna be the star player, hes going to be a darren ng type... come in, hit some shots, come off... and for that much he should be useful. Dont expect highlight reels from him though....

Reply #379096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a look at CJ in the SEABL Grand Final.
With the NBL season just around the corner CJ should be at his prime. Jazz tore him a new one. Defence? None.
http://au.prime7.yahoo.com/v1/news/a/-/national/14743656/breathtaking-bandits-fire-up-video/

Reply #379098 | Report this post

j  
Years ago

Jazz would be a great player in the NBL as he can actually shoot the ball and is quick. I think he will get a look this year if an injury occurs somewhere.

Reply #379105 | Report this post

Years ago

At least he will have the confidence in himself to take the big shots in the fourth qrt!!
Compared to some of the pathetic finishes we had to games last year when no one wanted to step up and take the final shot, we now have someone who will want to take that responsiblilty every time! Whether he makes it not I guess is irrelevent, just the fact that he wants the ball in those situations will be an improvement from the past 3 years in similar situations!!!!
He could be the find of the season and for what he will be getting paid, the bargain of the season as we finally have a go to guy in the fourth quarter!!
His record of being a clutch performer in the SEABL outlines this.

Reply #379108 | Report this post

the chief  
Years ago

oh well I suppose winning another league MVP for 2012 all star team 2012 to add to the dozens of awards he has earned over the years doesn't seem to count.You don't win the awards he has fi you cannot play.

This guy is the genuine article and what Adelaide should realise they now have an instant fan base in Victoria all because CJ will be playing for them.

Reply #379109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another nice addition. OMG all of a sudden the Sixers squad looks so hot (no homo).

Reply #379111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just lock up Pero V and the team looks great.

Reply #379123 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Again I will say he is not NBL fit. He will be required to practice at 110% every single day. I'll make a call that he will breakdown in the first month with a calf, hamstring or back from being unfit. Great player but 4-7kgs overweight for NBL.

Reply #379130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massingale has not signed officially. I thought it was a breach to make public announcements before the NBL had signed off on the paperwork.

Reply #379134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Adelaide 36ers announced today the signing of CJ Massingale for the 2012/13 iiNet NBL season.

Coming off a great season with SEABL team Knox Raiders, CJ averaged 25 points at 45.3%, averaged 5.9 rebounds, 3.6 assists per game and won three player of the week awards throughout this past SEABL season.

Adelaide 36ers Head Coach, Marty Clarke said that the Club was looking for a quality mature combination guard.

http://www.nbl.com.au/teams/36ers/news/article/article/2012/september/massingale-signs-with-36ers/

Sounds and looks pretty official to me.

Reply #379136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id take CJ over Homicide. A team player versus a cancer. A guy who can shoort vs a guy who cannot.

Homicide struggled when he played in SEABL for a few games

Reply #379140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Homicide was an NBL league MVP too.

Reply #379143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ is not official.

Reply #379146 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

CJ is official.

Reply #379151 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Wow anon are you a psychic??? Hopefully you aren't charging money for your predictions!! I hope CJ tears it up just to silence all the haters on here! Everyone is so quick to judge CJ when he hasn't even played a single NBL game yet.

Reply #379155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A mistake - nbl is a big step up from seabl

he won't have many open shots

should have gone for andrew warren off the bench for the 3 ball and d

Reply #379158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Warren has already signed with a team in Italy's Div 2.

Reply #379159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go look at the Albury Vs Bandits post from earlier.
See how CJ get carved up by Jazz. See the missed layup? See Jazz brak CJ's ankles?
As a 10 point player he will nee to produce from Day 1 and keep doing it at the next level.

Reply #379161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same thing was said on CatChat when they signed Redhage. Not many people admit to being one of those haters now.

Reply #379163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow ..... Pretty sure the NBL is not an athletic league and there are plenty of perimeter based players he will defend very well. His ability to play with poise perhaps makes him look slower than he is and to use an AFL analogy he is like a nick Dalsanto who just appears to have plenty of time.
I personally think he will do very well now that he has his opportunity lets not forget he has played against guys like gibbo and performed year after year in a league where every teams focus has been stop CJ and has I think three league MVP 3conference titles and many more all seabl teams

Reply #379166 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Season highlights from 2010. (as opposed to a single game higlights)

Reply #379178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great idea showing a highlight package from 2 seasons ago.

Reply #379179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah CJ has played over 200 SEABL games. Gibson 56 I believe.
SEABL followers of Redhage knew he was a great pickup.It is a shame that so many good players get over looked from the SEABL.

Reply #379187 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Has to produce because he's a 10 point player? Shows a pretty limited understanding of the situation. They were gifted two quality Blaze players which left them with import spots to spare and points to do something if they could make it fit the budget. Makes for an easy chance to gamble on a SEABL chance like this. They'll barely have minutes to spare for him.

Reply #379189 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I wouldn't say Jazzmar killed him unless you think shooting 8 from 30 (26%) is a killing.....

I think CJ will be the right fit here.

Reply #379190 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

he probably has the most basic highlight tapes I have ever seen of an import.

Reply #379192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the people who suggest he won't be up to NBL level I'd ask by what standard? If you're basing it on the standard expected of an NBL "import" then yes perhaps there are some questions to ask. But if you disregard the generally higher standards expected of imports and treat him like any other player then I don't have much doubt that he is an NBL level player.

I think the fact they have recruited a guy from the SEABL is in a way an endorsement of the great local talent they have been able to secure. Surely it's a sign of a growing and sustainable league if teams don't feel they have to sign two imports or saviours if you will to carry the team?

Reply #379193 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I think the question that should be ask is he the best player available for the money we have left (don't worry about that he is a 10 point player or an import), I doubt we spent the same money on him as we did on simpson or warren last year.

Reply #379204 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems there was a rule about that . They would regard a certain amount off the salary cap , regardless of what he was actually paid and we'd be over the salary cap. They made that one up for Bogut.

Reply #379208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My biggest problem with CJ getting a run in the NBL is that it took so long to happen so now the guy is 30 & yes, he probably is a step or 2 slower than you'd like at NBL level. He still has game though.

I agree that NBL clubs should be looking closely at the Bandits Jazz Ferguson too & just hope that we don't have to wait 6 years for that to happen. NBL clubs have had blinkers on regarding SEABL imports for too long.

Reply #379217 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

To everyone that has commented, all I stated was he looked a little slow and a tad out of shape. That is my personal opinion and I could probably say that about a couple of players in the league, Mark Worthington has been out of shape for a number of years now.
But it seems the Sixers were limited on what the could offer an import and to be honest all we need is that guy who can shoot and pass a bit, yes very much like the other CJ.
He seems like he can shoot and pass so good get for the Sixers he fits the bill of what the team needs.
I just don't know how he will go under Clarkes uptempo full court defence that he will want to play, especially with Gibbo out there.
As long as he's not lazy and is basketball smart he wil be fine.
Good luck to him and it does sound like it's about time he got his chance.

Reply #379224 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Is he NBL level. Yes id say he is

Is he as good as the other imports? No

Would he be cheap and value for money. Yes

Thats all that matters... this team doesnt need a standout import we have a feast of guys who can contribute. CJ will probably be back up SG

Reply #379226 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Am I a little off in comparing him to Rob Rose at the same age? Just reminds me of him from the limited highlights I have seen here.

Reply #379231 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely . Since they were gonna go with Darren Ng , but he retired .

Reply #379232 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

A good point Camel, is he better than the good doctor, and I have to say yes

Reply #379236 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Looks alot like (current) CJ Bruton?

Will be a very good pick up if he plays the same role as Bruton, coming off the bench for some points and experience.

Just going off the clips he does look abit unfit for this level but so does Bruton.

Reply #379240 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bruton just has that veteran shuffle going. Knows when he needs to push himself and when he can take it easy and still score. Team success and output are the keys, and the Breakers were successful.

Reply #379243 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The thing that amazes me about guys like CJ Bruton or say a Robert Horry in the NBA, as opposed to your "superstar" clutch performers, is that they consistently come up with the goods... but its not like they take their game to the next level, owning the court and putting in extra effort, shutting down opponents and making all the right plays. They just make contested long bombs that are generally not great from a shot-selection perspective, that they have been missing all season long, and run at no pace faster than a slight jog at any point during the game even in the clutch moments. But it's no fluke - these guys do it again and again in the big games that count. You can't help but respect it.

There's no craftiness, smarts or effort to it, just stone cold balls, beautiful arrogance and a steady hand on the 3 ball.

If CJ Bruton isn't on that Breakers roster you would have almost certainly had a Townsville v Perth grand final last season and a very different balance of power in the league. All because of a few lazy-looking long bombs that just never looked like missing. Would Schenscher have left the Crocodiles having played in or won a GF series? Something to think about...

Reply #379267 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CJ wins the MVP of the SEABL.

Reply #379275 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Looks to me a great pick up with the money we had available and can carry the ball but importantly shoot a 3.
How many times last year game on the line all madly getting rid of it until last seconds then left usually to Weigh or Warren to shoot a brick.

Reply #379335 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Even without CJ I think things will be differently this season anyway especially with Gibbo running the point!

Reply #379349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It intesresting to note that CJ played 10 games less than the Geelong import (Kimmani Barret)who had a season ending injury.
CJ won the vote by 1 vote from Barret)140 - 139.

Reply #379417 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Comes down to whether you want a guy who is entertaining or you want the best guy to fill the role. Any true fan of the 36ers would take the role player every time. Too many numptys around these days think that if he isnt blocking shots above the rim or jamming it over two defenders then he cant play basketball.

Reply #382786 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:13 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754