Isaac
Years ago

Will Tragardh for Crosswhite change Taipans' D?

The Taipans' coach Fearne runs a dour defensive unit and outgoing centre Ian Crosswhite was a part of that. Incoming scorer Cam Tragardh can put points up quickly but isn't renowned for his defence.

The league this year sees a few strong frontcourt groups including Pledger/Hudson/Vukona/Boucher, Knight/Redhage/Wagstaff, and Schenscher/Johnson/Petrie. Cairns' combo of Tragardh, Loughton, Edwards and Rychart look as solid as any other on paper.

Can Fearne make the new combination work?

Topic #29306 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

From what I learnt last season - never doubt the Taipans.

Reply #379248 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

yeah, hard to fault them until they actually screw up, I think I've learned that lesson too... Fearne has really done wonders and wo't be doubting them this season... From memory, Trigger had a couple of blocks in one of his pre-season game against the Kings? I think it might have been the first otherwise I would have seen it.. Not sure if the Kings players went up lazy, but still, nice change to hear his name on the defensive end in a positive light ;)

Reply #379251 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Perhaps a little but the key principles will still be there I think?! Given they are a much more potent & mobile offensive unit this season I wouldnt expect them to play as slow as they have in the past so their defence may alter a little as a result of that? If rumours are true and Trigger has dropped considerable body fat and got himself fit he may be a little more nimble defensively than he has in the past? Its all a guessing game at the moment but as others have said, I wouldnt be writing Cairns and Coach Fearne off. They should finish Top 4.

Reply #379252 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Definitely don't doubt them, because Fearne is a great defensive mind, but something had to be done. I would have liked them to keep Crosswhite (who for my money is vastly underrated, and the best defensive big in the league) and add the scoring elsewhere, but you can't have your cake and eat it too, I guess.

Cairns was just atrocious at times on the offensive end last season. Sometimes you'd watch them during a particularly dry offensive stretch and think "you know what? I don't see a way for them to actually score another basket during this ball game, outside of a contested jumper dropping".

Can they get Tragardh to buy in? Is it a mental/effort thing or is he actually not well conditioned enough to be an effective two-way player?

Or will the whole focus of the unit shift and offset the defensive holes with a magnificent offense?

Reply #379255 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Who said that the best defence was a good offence? ;)

Reply #379257 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

I interviewed Mark Beecroft on radio last week & he says you'll see a very defensive minded Tregarth this season!

Taipans will go deep in2 the playoffs this season...

Reply #379274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word from inside the camp is that he is making it a number one priority to gain some respect on the defensive end this season.

Working hard at it

Reply #379280 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Taipans will miss crosswhite this year,forcing the opposing guards to go around that big body at the 3 line was an absolute bonus to the taipans defence.

1/ you can't win the NBL championship by limiting the amount of plays in a game,it will work alot through the season.....but not in game 3 of ANY final series.

2/ Taipans need 20 extra points to be serious contenders, have they got that?......Loughton is still the key to it,if he has a good year and forces the opposing 4/5 out of the key way/early rotation ....Trigger will have a cracker.

the mobile Loughton/Trigger combo can win it all for the Taipans this season.

Reply #379285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leopards don't change their spots...

Reply #379286 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

You might find Trigger is doing all he can to be focused this season. He has deleted Twitter, is in the gym daily, his skin folds are down to career best and working very hard at being a leader. Expect big things from the great man

Reply #379288 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Brad Hill's penetration is a massive factor to the Taipans success also, no one really sees that. How many guys can really get to the rack apart from Wilson?

Reply #379291 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

brad hills role as a slasher is very much a luxury role, when the going gets tough(bit like the other brad with the boomers)sure his penetration is good/great at times, but you've gotta bring other stuff to the table.

Reply #379292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans are top 4 this year providing the core stay injury free
will still have the team d at the same intense level but will be able to put more points on the board.

this will be the difference with last years team..

Reply #379313 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Skull, I'm talking about success at success (beating the top teams) *Kobe system reference. Of course the Taipans do well without production from Hill, but when he does produce, the Taipans step up another level.

Reply #379370 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

spursfan - success at success ?
anytime cairns beat a top team it certainly didnt have much to do with brad hill.
a great slasher must also have a very good perimeter shot and a punishing first step.
brad has his best games against the lesser teams and ok games,mainly from broken plays against top teams....this is a reflection of his skill set as a true slasher.

Reply #379415 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754