The truth
Years ago

NBA AGE LIMIT ???

What do people think the Quote " the nba needs an Age limit to protect the quality of the game "

The questions has to be asked would kawmi brown be better had he gone to college ???

Would Tmac and kevin garrnett be better had the gone to college

Is the nba quality really suffering due to high school players

Or is this a ploy to save college Basketball??

Its a well known fact that college would love to have seen players like lebron james and tmac play college basketball...

but they were taken by the bright lights of the nba ...

What would the nba be like if you had to play four years of college you have to really wonder ....

Topic #2932 | Report this topic

bootleg  
Years ago

I think that players like Tmac, Jermaine O'Neal, Zach Randolph, Tyson Chandler etc would have came into the NBA as much better and complete players had they gone to collage and would of probably became the dominated players that the are today much quicker. But on the other had there is players like Amare, Garnett, Lebron that when they came into the league they had an impact straight away. That very really happens especially considering the amount of players coming straight out of high school now days. I think that they would have been a lot better doing what Carmelo did go to collage for just one year but I guess if the amount of money was shoved in my face I don't think that I would be able to say no either. On the age limited I think that it is a good idea in a majority of cases jumping straight to the NBA is probably not the best thing for them but then there are the exceptions lebron anyone? So guess that I'm kind of one the fence with it in most cases yes (it's a good idea) but in those one or two special cases no it's not a good idea holding back those players that are at that level already.

Reply #33353 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

would you lose any players because of such a limit. How many of these players that go straight to the NBA wouldn't get the required academics to attend a college. Of course Europe is an option, but are the euro clubs going to be scouting the high schools.?.?.

Consider this - if there is an age limit on players entering the NBA, kids would know they can't skip school to train etc. would that impact on the quality of players entering the NBA. More pressure on their grades, less on the game (at a high school level).

Reply #33383 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

i think that in a way there kinda droping em in the deep end with the high school ballers. only the strong survive. sink or swim.

i think its beneficial for those who survive e.g lebron and garnett. but on the other hand it may be bad for the likes of kwame brown. he could have done with a year in college.

so its a debate either way.

i think that teams should only realli draft garunteed picks like lebron and such.

risky high school picks are bad news i reckon

Reply #33395 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Truth where is that quote from? It would be good to see the rest of that article to see their full argument. From memory there was a similar discussion on NBA age limit not long ago.

Reply #33465 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

I was doing some reseach on assessment for school on high school basketball becoming to serious and saw the quote from david stern on it and found it quite intresting ... might be something on NBA.com apart from that im not sure

Reply #33482 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

The previous article Isaac posted close to a month ago was NBA Age and Racism . That thread poses some serious and deep issues. Issues that highlight significant flaws in american culture. There is a link there also to the original article ITA.

Reply #33483 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Cheers Dr D... now i know the context. I think i said enough on that one already.

Reply #33484 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Sorry Guys didnt Know this topic had be done in such detail already ...

Reply #33498 | Report this post

KGallant  
Years ago

There are way too many players who are making themselves eligible for the NBA draft. I can see KG T-Mac Amare and LeBron entering the draft Jonathan Bender, deShawn Stevenson, DeSagana Diop, James Lang, Robert Swift and Dorrell Wright are jokes, way too many players going in too soon there should be a limit

Reply #38154 | Report this post

SERGIO A  
Years ago

I think that there shouldent be an age limit for high schoolers to join the NBA, i think that if a person is good enough to make it he can and should. Lebron has proved it to us and Amare also. changing this age limit may be the cause of a lot of storming high schoolers losing the chance to even make it to there dreams witch is the NBA. The sport of basketball today is dominated by the young athlets, even in the NBA. This new era of basketball is being run by a new generation of kids. YOU CANT CHANGE THAT!!!

Reply #38901 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

That's a bunch of bs. 'High schoolers losing the chance to even make it to there dreams witch is the NBA' (i'll use your words) due to age.

Shit, it was my dream to play in the NBA, guess what!!!!!

LeBron, T-MAC, KG, Kobe are the good examples of high schoolers entering the league, shitloads of highschools don't make it. Of those 4, only 1 produced in their first year.

The new CBA is good, what it does it makes kids goto college for a year, that's it, and the progress they make in that one year, playing with bigger bodies, training, learning a system and playing defence helps the product in the long run. If I were a GM, any day of the week I would take a 19 year old with some college experience over a 17 year old that has been dominating other 17 year olds.

All the phenoms that have hit the NBA before College dominated and destroyed their competition in high school. Very few dominate the NBA straight up, or even College for that matter.

Good move by Commissioner Stern..

Reply #38913 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754