Anonymous
Years ago

Vjbl finals

Watching the vjbl finals at the state Bball centre. I can't believe the amount of zone being played.

DV and Melbourne in the 16s played a heap of zone, and in the 14s, nunawading have started in a zone.

Is it a compliment to Vic's offensive skill or can they just not play defense?

Topic #29393 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

coaches who are scared to lose.

Reply #380282 | Report this post

athlete  
Years ago

I think it's more to do with how a lot of teams struggle to play against the concept of a zone, more to not being able to play defense. Teams are so used to a man to man, that when a zone is thrown at them, they often struggle.
Melbourne often have a zone thrown at them to try and throw them out their shuffle offense and get them out of sync. Just for an example.

Reply #380285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I understand that, but its not used that way. I can't see the benefit of playing it from start to finish.

Reply #380286 | Report this post

Joker  
Years ago

Zone in juniors is for coaches that either cant teach man, or want to win at all costs. Its not the way to teach juniors.

Reply #380302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12's and 14's shouldn't zone, but don't have a problem with it in 16's and 18's. By that age, kids are strong enough to pass and shoot against the zone and counter it.

However, staying in one all game isn't the way to go for mine, I would hope teams change between that, man and presses throughout a game, and still teach a lot of man defense at training so it doesn't stagnate the players development.

Reply #380305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In finals you do what you have to do to win. Watched all games on stream. 16 boys awesome game - Was battle between big guy from DV and 2 Melb Guards.

Melb awesome shooters - esp pull up jumpers. Most of these guys r in state team and Aust squad so should be good. 18s should be good game too!

Reply #380794 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Under 14 VC champions from last year played a zone D all season and won the VJBL, only to go to Nationals in Brisbane where no zones were allowed.

Didn't even make finals, there's your answer...

16's and above fine, but VJBL should not allow zone D in 14's and under, it is just not a good idea in my opinion!

Reply #394268 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:03 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754