NBL Fan
Years ago

New Melbourne Team sustainable?

In an interview I recently heard, Kristina Keneally was talking about expansion. She said that they are optimistic for a team in Brisbane next season but will receive a very good bid for a second Melbourne team. I don't think a second Melbourne team will last for a large amount of time, just look at the Tigers, they have a small fan base. Hopefully the bid for a new Brisbane team will be successful and we will see a team in Brisbane next season. She also said that a decision on expansion would be made in the next couple of months.

Topic #29407 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

I think there exists an enormous amount of Melbournians who are staunch "anti tigers", so you have a built-in fan base in that regard.

I'm not as optimistic about a Brisbane team right now, to tell you the truth.

Reply #380502 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The second melb bid will be based on the Anti-Tigers community feel in Melbourne basketball heartland from Eltham to Dandenong.

Hence if they base the new team at the new state centre it is in the middle of that heartland.

I think the key is more the Corporates thou as it is along way from the corporate hub (CBD) for those type of supporters to travel and as with all sports they are all important!

Reply #380509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess there would be many "anti tigers". I just really want a team back in Brisbane because I am from Brisbane and the Blaze recently died.

Reply #380510 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

What is the capacity of the new state center?

Reply #380512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been a fan of the Giants, Titans, Giants again and then the Dragons, and watched them all disappear. I'm a huge basketball fan and really miss regularly going to games, but I won't support another Melbourne team until they've been around a few years. Every season there seems to be teams on the brink of disappearing. Might be hard to attract new fans until the league can stop this trend.

To top it off, I was also a Sonics fan. : (

Reply #380541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #380542 | Report this post

ant  
Years ago

State Basketball Centre will increase its size to about 3500 I think.

The Melbourne teams you mentioned all paid huge amounts of money to hire stadiums such as Hisense and Rod Laver, the State Basketball Centre would be cheap as chips to play in and has a good capacity.

The location is also the biggest assest it has. In Melbourne's basketball heartland where basketball has a huge following. A 2nd Melb team seems like a no brainer to me now

Reply #380548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this interview available online?

Reply #380553 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Surely Melbourne can support two teams. It supported 4 at one stage plus Geelong were in the league then.

Reply #380556 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

I hope we can get a Brisbane Team up. not sure if things will be ready or good enough for next season, unless some things change quickly

Reply #380576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Melbourne team will have no $$$$$$ problems.Look for the money to come from the USA..Huge corporate..dont forget to lock the "Gates"

Reply #380580 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Tiger Watchers comments are spot on.

You cannot support an NBL franchise with 3000 seats being full every week.

You have to bring the corporate organisations, and they need to be the ones that need to avail themselves of great corporate entertainment opportunities.

There is no evidence that Knox provides that opportunity, not matter how nice a stadium it is.

It might be in basketballs heartland, but it is otherwise off the beaten track, a long way from the City and bitch of a place to get to on a Friday night, and one I don't want to travel to on a Saturday.

Plus, the venue experience is just not that good. One function room, no suites, difficult entry and exit etc.

Reply #380581 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Interview link

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-21/keneally-on-the-state-of-basketball-in-australia/4273166?section=sport

Reply #380587 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would imagine the team will play some games at Hisense and some at Knox. That is a good set up for an NBL club.

Reply #380588 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Anon #380547, do us a favour and don't support the 36ers :P

Reply #380590 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

An expanded league would be great, but after the weekend at Dandenong I am becoming concerned about the future of the NBL. I went to the pre season games on both friday and saturday and was alarmed at the lack of support for the event.

It only cost $2.50 to get in and all the sides were there, but there were more supporters at some of the recent VJBL finals than at the NBL & WNBL games. I think the event was a worthy one but very poorly promoted.

I was coaching a domestic junior game at the venue on saturday afternoon and encouraged my kids to watch the Tigers play after our game. They had a quick look but decided they were not interested and went home. There was no connection between the kids and the big names playing.

There was no promotions going on at the stadium apart from a half hearted push for Tigers membership. No posters, no caps, no give-aways.

At least a few years ago when the Dragons started they had a huge presence around the local stadiums of Melbourne before the season kicked off. These days the vast majority of the thousands of kids playing in Melbourne could not even name a Tigers player.

I know I have wandered a bit off topic but I am seriously concerned about the future of the League.

Reply #380592 | Report this post

ant  
Years ago

I went on Thursday night and I was impressed by the promotion of the NBL live TV. They had a few people handing out flyers for it and the court announcers pumped it up a fair bit.

In terms of getting the corporate dollar to Knox I feel that it is not really a big problem. When you look at NBL teams I doubt even most NBL teams could tell you the main sponsor of every NBL team in the league. There is more than enough sponsorship available to offer what an NBL team would want.

As most basketball fans live within 15kms of the stadium it is not a problem to get to for the majority of people. Going into the city to watch the Tigers play is an absolute bitch though with traffic.

The State Basketball Centre does need some work, especially with the car park and lighting at night is very poor. This is very easily fixed and it looks like it is in the works anyway.

Reply #380608 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBL didnt bother promoting the pre-season tourny. That money and effort is best spent on promoting the real stuff, and realistically pre-season games with players missing and coaches experimenting arent that good an ad for the league.

Reply #380610 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Remembering that the State Centre isn't finished yet, once phase 2 is completed this stadium will be outstanding. Much easier to get to than Hisense.

Reply #380615 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If there is a lack of potential corporate support in Melbourne's outer east that could be a problem, but surely there are some major industries based out there that would be interested?

In the end, whilst professional basketball teams need corporate support, is there any real point (or likely longevity) to their existence if they don't have a passionate fanbase?

In a city as big and wealthy as Melbourne, I would have thought its more important to base a team in a location its potential fanbase can attend and then to cultivate a relationship with prominent local business people?

Reply #380623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ket I'm jinxed I know. I've been thinking about following the Lakers for a while just to see what happens.

Reply #380630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

corporate sponsorship is done and dusted.thank the usa and the computers you are all using now

Reply #380635 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wow. I was told it would be the most impressive Australian sports club sponsorship ever, and if what youre suggesting is true that would be the case!

Reply #380640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey paul 120 Big ones..Drop in the ocean to BG

Reply #380641 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

When the Margaret Court arena upgrade is complete, surely the Tigers and 2nd Melbourne team should both play most of their games there, ala the Tigers-Magic days of 1992-2000 when they shared Rod Laver arena. Assuming, perhaps far too optimistically, that Melbourne Park offer rent at a reasonable price. That will satisfy corporates and then the 2nd Melbourne team can play a few games at Knox to further establish their Eastern suburbs identity.

Reply #380643 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

2nd Melb team - yes. There is enough anti-tigers hate out there to easily support a 2nd team. And with them playing a 3500 seat venue which I can only expect will be cheap by the sounds of it, they should be able to remain viable for some time and allow them to grow.

2nd Brisbane team - not so sure. I need more convincing that basketball in SE Queensland has the support. I'm still annoyed at the Brisbane people where only 4000 attended the Boomers Olympic qualifier (in a 12,000 BEC) during a time where they needed to show support for a Brisbane team. It was the only big game of basketball in years in Brisbane and the support was disappointing. Need more convincing for me. Then to follow it up with only 2000 or so attending Blaze games at the Convention Centre. Brisbane still has a long way to go in my opinion.

I'd be happy to see a Wellington team from NZ join. I think they're more advanced than Brisbane are right now for support and eagerness for a team.

Reply #380658 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree with Wildcat fan, give the nod to second Melbourne team or Wellington before Brisbane.

The wider Brisbane public just doesn't care about basketball.

Also, interesting to see Paul was the only one who bit at that troll's puerile Microsoft bait.

Reply #380679 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

To use the state centre for NBL they had better fix the access issue.

At recent VJBL finals getting out of the car park through one exit back onto High St was a killer - that will put people off big time for NBL.

Reply #380777 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sorry Mick, but last year Boti Nagy said one of the Melbourne bids had a major sponsor that would "knock the leagues' sock off" or words to that effect. At the same time others in Melbourne mentioned the bid had financial support from the USA.

So from that I guess I am ripe for a troll baiting if that is the case!!

Reply #380783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul...We maybe wrong but when and if it is announced I want some credit for breaking news way ahead of time.Ex major daily newspaper reporter now on books,extra staff ready to go..changes in coaching staff at some SEABL clubs in preperation of announcement.My info is total package is worth about 120 million that involves total pathway deal,from socially vulnerable right through to the top level.But I might be completely wrong

Reply #380897 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im not judging you either way. I would be happy to give cred but you dont have any sort of name!!

It seems very unlikely that such a big international company would be involved. At the same time, it does kind of fit with what Boti reported, what has been said about overseas investment, and the fact this latest Melbourne bid is very well advanced with finer details being worked out.

If what you say about it being a complete social investment is on the mark then that is truly exciting and a fantastic way to imbed basketball in the culture.

If youre speaking crap, well no harm is done and we will find out the reality of the bid fairly soon anyway. All we can do is wait and hope this time the bid actually becomes a reality.

Reply #380906 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

120 million? Must be an awful lot "in kind".....

Reply #381010 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754