Centrals Div 1 coaching line-up

Andrew Jantke, not many of you may know who he is, but he is the Boys Coaching Director at Centrals, and responsible for the greatest division 1 coqching lineup ever seen.

What are your thoughts?

Topic #29408 | Report this topic

MJ @ Super  
Years ago

My thoughts are that I don't know who the coaches are?

How about you include the names of coaches.....

Reply #380514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what is the boys Div 1 line up then ?

Reply #380515 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Lol centrals

Reply #380521 | Report this post

U/10s - Sean Carlin (former Olympian)
U/12s - Rupert Sapwell (no introduction needed)
U/14s - Toby Lockwood (just won the winter season GF)
U/16s - Andrew Jantke (Coaching Director)
U/18s - Ricky Simpson (has coached College ball in the US)

Reply #380522 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did Sean Carlin play basketball at the olympics??

Reply #380525 | Report this post

.com  
Years ago

that is a great line up and with no doubt one of the best junior line ups ever.

if it isnt let's have what beats it.

with names

well done centrals

Reply #380530 | Report this post

M  
Years ago

some might disagree but seems lions are on he prowl -got to give credit to AJefforts to get strong core group together- although think TL neds to take chill pills- lose that arrogant attitude to better suit his enthusiasm and undoubted skill set - potentially number state coaches in this mix times are changing and new era dawning.AJ has learnt well from the best

Reply #380536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sean was a hammer thrower in the Olympics I believe and was encourage by his son's passion for Basketball to coach.

Reply #380546 | Report this post

THeManHimself  
Years ago

THis is silly!

Reply #380549 | Report this post

You're dead right about Toby having to take a few chiil pills. An very very talented coach, if he just concentrated on that and not the officiating then he'll go far!!

Reply #380559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think whoever started this thread should take a chill pill!

That lineup that AJ has assembled is a pretty good lineup of coaches but AJ is the weakest link in that chain.

Reply #380564 | Report this post

.com  
Years ago

centrals to get it done this year for sure.

Reply #380568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think most people would consider that a strong line-up at all, with the exception of Simpson.

Reply #380575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to be joking not to even mention Rupert with Simpson

Reply #380598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends on what you know about Rupert and his coaching.

Reply #380609 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Centrals and Norwood swapping coaches?

Sapper to Centrals with others

Nick and Trudi Ireland to Norwood

Reply #380618 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Well in to Jantke. Observing from afar, has a passion for bball and has worked extremely hard and practically single-handedly to get Centrals to where they are today (finally tapping that 'potential' given the size of their catchment area). Nothing but respect for the man - and whatever you might say, that's a quality coaching lineup (two ABL Championship winning coaches in juniors!?)

Reply #380626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not about their Div 1 coaches but their depth of other coaches/players which hold the club back, a philosophy of keeping the club small.

Reply #380631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The turnover rate is too high at Centrals. Part of the problem is the travel, but the club needs to develop a winning culture to retain those players. If Centrals held onto those players, they would be massive.

Reply #380636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think CEntrals would suggest the turnover rate is comparatively small and they turnover the 'right' players.

Reply #380639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do u know their lineup? I scanned their website and couldn't find any mention....

Reply #380642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's on their website,

Juniors/Coaches/Summer 2012 13

There's a bio on each coach which is not as over the top as last year, but is still completely unnecessary.

Reply #380646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Norwood Centrals feeder club now. Just like several years ago where West and North were Norwood's feeder clubs

Reply #380653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think so. It looks like there has been a bit of coach and player movement between the two clubs this season but it's in both directions.

Looking at Norwood's squad lists on their website, there are three coaches who have left Centrals to go to Norwood and if the banter on here a while back was true, some players as well.

Just on that, looking at Norwood's Div 1 coaches it looks like they have had some big changes. I think only the u18 coaches, and maybe the u12 girls coach (but I'm not sure) are still there. What happened to the rest, apart from Sapwell obviously?

Reply #380656 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

There's a bio on each coach which is not as over the top as last year, but is still completely unnecessary.
Why "completely unnecessary"? If I'm looking at somewhere to send my child, wouldn't I be interested in the people involved in the club? Sounds like a good initiative to me.

Reply #380663 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"Did Sean Carlin play basketball at the Olympics?"
Are you serious??

One of the best hammer throwers that we have produced! Salisbury East lad as well.

Reply #380664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly - I knew that but what that got to do with basketball.

Reply #380668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious? He was an elite athlete in his day, the best in Australia and one of the best in the world. THe preparation, dedication, focus etc. etc. of being an elite athlete might just have some application (??!?!)

Also a qualified PE teacher who has had a son represent SA at 5 National championships and a junior world championship.

Maybe, just maybe, might have some useful insights and experiences for his U10 chargers :):):)

Reply #380678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do they still hav a girls program at centrals? They seem to have losses from the girls side and made adds to the boys!!!

Reply #380688 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Pretty sure an elite athelete can teach young kids about dedication, what it takes to win etc.
Doesn't have to be a hoops person to coach kids.

Side note : Does Charlie Walsh know anything about football? Pretty sure he is extremely sought after. Ric Charlesworth??

Reply #380689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charlie Walsh did wonders for the Crows? What? Oh....

Reply #380717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Charlie Walsh did wonders for the Crows! What? Oh....

Reply #380718 | Report this post

LOL  
Years ago

Issac and DB5,

Only people who already know something about basketball would be choosing a club based on coahing line up. Otherwise they would not know who those people are. Those people would already have some club affiliation and would probably know that a playing background does not necessarily mean that a person will do good job of coaching and will probably just go to their closest club.

It is a nice fluff piece. But it is really just that, fluff.

Will they be good junior coaches? Who knows? Being a good player or good athlete does not mean you will have the ability to transpose knowledge nor know the correct knowledge for the appropriatet age. Nor have the necessary talent to reflect the knowledge that you do have compared to the opther teams.

Wish them the best of luck, and hope they do well.

Reply #380739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sean Carlin was an u16s state basketball representative before focussing on athletics

Reply #380745 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Being a good player or good athlete does not mean you will have the ability to transpose knowledge"
LOL, you are 100% correct, just because you are a great player in any sport doesn't mean you are going to be a great coach. Some of the best coaches were hopeless as players.

Reply #380748 | Report this post

Where?  
Years ago

LOL, Simpson won Coach of the year for the nation at the ABA level, Sapwell-Championships and sa coach of the year. Both of these guys were players. I think your argument is stupid. Why would it matter that a club wants to lift the profilenofncoaches with a bio? Some people are just negative about everything I guess. Do something better yourself as a coaching director or shut the pie hole.

Reply #380780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At ABL level you do very little development. It's all about recruiting the 1-2 imports/NBL players to win you a title and/or getting kids that have done their development through juniors.

Simpson/Sapwell will be tested as to whether they can actually develop talent or not. I expect more of the same from the lowly Lions.

Reply #380928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At Juniors these days its the same mate. All about recruiting the best kids in the group

Reply #380930 | Report this post

bball fan  
Years ago

Centrals will be in for a real treat with Sapwell there - just wait and see

Reply #381091 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754