Anonymous
Years ago

SEABL D-League and Big V SYCM Merge?

Anyone got any news about the merger of the SEABL D-League and Big V SYCM1, word was there'd be one Victorian Under 23 League with 20 teams, 2 conferences of 10?

Topic #29468 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Silly decision! SEABL teams plus 3 or 4 YL1 teams will kill the other 10 teams.

Make 3 divisions
Premier (D League teams plus, Tigers, DV & Ringwood)
Div 1
Div 2

Relegation/Promtion system

Reply #381655 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Anon #381655

Not sure if you caught any of the D-League games this year but Bendigo,Ballarat & Frankston wouldn't have made finals in SYCM and even possibly Nunawading.

To be fair you'd think the top 6 from each league goes into the Div 1 then the rest up make Div 2!

The hardest thing with Youth league promotion/relegation is the influence of college & junior commitments has a large effect on results and could cause a big association to have a "poor" year and end up dropping a divsion, thus smacking all of the smaller clubs.

Or conversly a "small" club has 1 great year gets promoted and then loses all there players to its senior side and without the numbers of juniors coming thru gets smacked every week and makes a mockery of it all!

I prefer the soft promotion/relgation set up in Youth league due to the large turnover in playing talent from one year to the next.

Reply #381660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently the decision was made to have 20 teams all in the 1 premier Under 23 competition. There was to be a meeting last week to have the proposal approved by BV...

Reply #381661 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Youth League Basketball will fail under the Big V banner! Looks no different to VJBL Championship basketball and look at what a fail that competition is. The standard between the top 20 teams is so far apart the league will become a laughing stock. These kids are our future and by not providing QUALITY games week in week out you will find the overall quality drop.

Reply #381665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As with Youth League right now, no doubt there will be multiple divisions in a merged Under 23 competition.

Let's not leap to conclusions here, give BV and Big V a big of time to sort it out, this is a significant transition being managed here but should be in the interests of the sport over the long term.

Agree with TW, the standard of Youth League teams can vary a lot from season to season, but hey, that's why it's a development competition.

Reply #381714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #1665

VJBL is a fail ??

Not sure what competition you are watching ... if you pay attention to the many threads on this forum about how other states go about it, VJBL is fabulous.

It evolves over time, and changes in recent years have seen the mid season split into Champ and Reserve in the VJCL division. This has helped a lot to provide more even competition and maybe more changes can be made over time to help further.

Oh and BTW, the competition is "owned" by all the participating Clubs who have delegates assigned to the general meetings to made the decisions.

So if you think it sucks, maybe get involved through your local Club to help improve it.

Reply #381715 | Report this post

Boomer  
Years ago

Agree with the above post VJBL is certainly not a failure they do an outstanding job.
A combined youth competition would be multi-divisional giving both D-League and SYC teams a chance to play at their level.

Reply #381719 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

A combined comp will be under the governance of BV and the VJBL with day to day control being handled by the SEABL front office. Thats how BVDL ( SEABL D-league ) is and was operated last season. It will be a 20 team, 2 conf comp for maybe two seasons to bed down. Its possible that after that there may be a relegation system to send the lower 4 team back to the Big V YL2 comp but with the changes to playing rosters due to players getting older etc it may not really work. WHat this will do is hopefully force clubs to work harder on junior development. It would be a great idea to restrict transferes and players movements to encourage that.

Reply #381752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When can we expect an announcement on the format? There are many clubs and players with tryouts coming up who are affected by the decision. There are probably 10 teams on the cusp of either being in the 20 team 1st division or placed in the second division in a 3 tier format?

Reply #381758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is everyone so worried about stretching themselves? Have a crack and see how it goes, for too long i've watched teams camp in lower divs in their comfort zone, if a team gets smacked week in week out fix the problem, recruit, develop or if you're maxed out then drop back as a last resort but Basketball is becoming infected with cruisers and apathy.

Reply #381760 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

An announcement is governed by how the Big V clubs handle the transition. As we all know Big V is controlled by the delegates with the front office really just there as window dressing to organise fixtures etc. If it requires the delegates to vote on it NOTHING will happen until after their AGM junkett in November. If the clubs can simply leave Big V YL and join the new BVDL then the AGM has no influence at all and it will be a matter for BV and the admon of the new BVDL to announce. If what I hear is true then the latter is the case and an announcment could come at any time. Its equally possible that it will fall over for another season as we are relying on Big V clubs to get thier shit together and leave Big V. These clubs are not well known for being the smartest operators so procastination may kick in.
I dont think there should be any relegation so if you opt in to the new BVDL comp then thats where you stay until you opt out. We need better rules about team movement and players transfering to make the comps more professional and maintain a high std. The attitude of BB for all is fine for D2, YL2 and juniors but an eleite comp has to be treated as such and run by elite people.

Reply #381761 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon. That whole thing just makes no sense at all.

Reply #381764 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

HO.. what dont you get ?? Its easy. If the descision needs to be ratified by the Big V then it will go to the delegates in Nov. If its just up to individual clubs then it could be announced anytime.

Reply #381787 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Well that COULD be construed as what you said. What is with all the other crap in the original post? - just lay out the process, don't embellish it with your prejudiced commentary.

And I think you have it wrong, my understanding is that it is BigV that will run the new competition.

Reply #381815 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

HO. DO your research, who is running BVDL right now ??

Reply #381842 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Relax Anon. You seem angry.

Right now the SEABL is running the D-league (or as you might put it - acting as the front office "window dressing") on behalf of Basketball Victoria.

But that is now.

My understanding is that the proposal for the merger of the two leagues has them coming under the BigV.

Reply #381845 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I really hope that is not the case. SEABL have a better track record of management even though their comp is physically smaller and some would say easier to run. My gut feel is that it will not get off the ground in 2013 and the chatter coming from the Big V clubs who would be able to make the jump is that they have heard nothing official.
A couple of SEABL coaches I have spoken to also have no word on anything. Seems that BA was driving this alone and have no dropped the ball to focus on other issues.

Reply #381863 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

so is my research ok?

Reply #381869 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

HO, you have not said anything about a time line so i cant comment on that. All I know is that people seemed to think a meeting was held and an agreement reached about the new combined comp. I doubt that is the case.

Reply #381885 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754