Spursfan
Years ago

Snakepit vs Sandpit

What is the go with the Hawks and the 'Sandpit' or 'Snakepit'? Media seem to use the two words interchangeably in Wollongong's case, but Cairns has always been the Snakepit (obviously). Did Wollongong steal the nickname?

Topic #29486 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Different venues. Snakepit was the old place but is still used sometimes for trainings which is why you might be thinking it's used interchangeably.

Sandpit is the WEC which is right on the beach and actually a pretty cool spot with lots of food options within a block or two. There's even a brewery/nightspot under the same roof, though you have to exit the building and walk around to the other side to get in.

If you ever want to see your non-Hawks team play on the road, Wollongong would probably be a good spot to do it as things are quite accessible. Fly in to Sydney, train down to Wollongong and then pick accommodation within walking distance of the venue. Good beaches and so on all easy to get to from there.

Reply #381803 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Yeah I have seen an aerial image of the Wollongong beaches and it looks nice. The WEC is a pretty aesthetic place as well, love everything about broadcasts of Wollongong games except for the clunk of the rim... it borderline sickens me. But nah, good to know, thanks.

Reply #381807 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Snakepit was the old Hawks venue at Beaton Park and they used until they moved to the WEC "sandpit" To even suggest that the name Snakepit was stolen from Cairns is incorrect. The Beaton Park "Snakepit" gas had that name since the 70's when Newcastle guard Dennis Kibble said something along the lines "going to that place is like entering a snakepit" The Newcastle V Illawarra rivalry was huge in the days before the NBL even existed and the original "Snakepit" was indeed a very hostile environment.`

Reply #381811 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The Snake Pit (Wollongong) was where i fell in love with the game. It's still going these days for local leagues and some state goes. Hawks also train there and have some pre-season games there. Hawks HQ is at the Snake Pit as well.

This year i went to both pre-season games at the old Snake Pit, top bar was open and had a great night chatting with some of the oldest NBL/Hawks fans who told me stories of the Snake Pit in the early 80s etc.

Reply #381817 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Have to agree with Isaac on of the best places to attend an away game, get there early and head straight to the brewery for some beer and food before tipoff

Reply #381820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Snake pit has seen better days I will tell you that....

The emergency doors around the stadium do not close, many are cabletied shut, one door is like rice paper and could be blown down easily.

But a great venue with a lot of nostalgia! Hopefully they get some funding to keep it in better condition for future generations to enjoy!

Reply #381861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:56 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754