Nick
Years ago

Taipans v Crocs 6/10

Reptile rumble tonight in Cairns.
Who do people think will win and any stand out performers?

Topic #29503 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns will win and a stand out will be mabye Ben Allen

Reply #382018 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

My projected starters:

Crocs-
5. Allen
4. Holmes
3. Blanchfield
2. Crawford
1. Ervin

Taipans-
5. Loughton
4. Traghardh
3. Hill
2. Gliddon
1. Wilson

As usual the far north derby should be a tough game and I am looking forward to watching it on NBL.TV

Reply #382019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have Ervin out.

M Cedar to start?

These reptile rumbles are normally tight/hard fought games especially with Cairns grind out style.

Surely if there was to be a one sided game it would be this one with the Crocs not bringing any imports on the trip and Cairns potentially having an increased offensive output this year.

That is how it looks on paper although I guess they don't play the game on paper.

Reply #382021 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Mitch Norton will start in place of Gary Ervin.

The Crocs are only bringing 9 players to Cairns including development player Brendan Teys.

Reply #382023 | Report this post

G Rudd  
Years ago

Imports not playing. Irvin arriving today and I think Abney Sunday. Hoping my Crocs can give it a good crack, but without imports, don't hold much luck.

Reply #382024 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Silver lining for Crocs is that Ben Allen will be a high usage player for one more game, easing his good form into the regular season. The extra touches without the imports will keep his rhythm & confidence up.

He is the key to the Crocs' making a bold stamp on this season.

Reply #382025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Allen = silver lining = Yikes!!!!

Reply #382031 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The silver lining isn't Ben Allen, it's Ben Allen getting big game experience as a high usage player.

He didn't have the luxury that guys like Daniel Johnson have had playing big minutes for a cellar dweller to fast-track their development.

Reply #382032 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

Cairns will win this with the crocs without both imports and Ben Allen and Hinder will have there work cut out tonight with Loughton and Tragardh Cairns by 15 points

Reply #382036 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Cairns by 20....if their serious !

Reply #382040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Taipans -6 paying $1.90. Main risk is that they're a dour, stingy team and could win narrowly. Still, if they mean business, they should handle them comfortably.

Reply #382042 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Anyone got a black screen with sound on nbl.tv?

Reply #382047 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ok how does NBL tv work - all I'm getting are all game - last nights as well - shoeing as 'upcomng'

Reply #382048 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Opt yeah I got the black screen

Reply #382049 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Yeah black screen both on iPad and web. Getting audio only atm.

Reply #382051 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Black screen too

Reply #382052 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I haven't even got a black screen? Is it supposed to allow me to click somewhere to bring the game up?

Reply #382054 | Report this post

Anonalso  
Years ago

Got Picture now on Ipad, but the camera is Horrible! Not smooth and poor quality. Yesterday it didn't work until I deleted the app and tried again and the logo for the hawks Kings game shows Cairns. These bugs need to be fixed!!!!

Reply #382056 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Reinstalled app and away we go - still can't get pic on tv via adapter though

Reply #382061 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Good game so far. Nbl TV is perfect quality, hasn't jumped at all yet.

Reply #382062 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Cam Gliddon. My boy!

Reply #382074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can Jacob have played 34:50 in a 30 min period?

Reply #382077 | Report this post

Nev  
Years ago

Gliddon- not even mentioned in any preseason comments but leads Cairns in minutes so far, including a pull up three after dribbling down the court. Future star.

Reply #382078 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Gliddon for Rookie of the year. Clint Steindl to be on his heels. i dont see any other rookies even in the conversation!

Reply #382081 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Had $21 on Cairns by 11+ and $20 on them at the line -5.5. So i now have $100 in my betting account (double my original investment).

Only 1 point for Edwards. Gliddon put up 9 3 pointers. PC didn't make a field goal. Allen with another 15 and 9 game. 19 attempts is pretty crazy though. Townsville seem to be struggling in the guard department, Ervin should help that. 25 rebounds from their big 3, so with Birdman, they should be ok.

Reply #382088 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Mitch Norton was fantastic. He is also a future star.

Reply #382090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes id say Ervin will help them in the guard department.... just a bit haha

Reply #382093 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Decent result for the Crocs without the two imports. Cairns are a quality team. Mick Cedar and Peter Crawford both had nights to forget.

Ben Allen, Mitch Norton and Russell Hinder having decent games carrying over their pre-season form allows everyone to breathe a little easier I think. Ben Allen didn't shoot it that great from the field but at least he rebounded well.

Cairns' interior defense is very different without Crosswhite. Fearne will need to address that if they want to go far this season. Both rookies look nice - efficient production from both.

Frustrating to watch as a Crocs fan, but at the same time, not a bad result at all for a first round game without two key players.

Add Ervin and Abney to this mix and they have a chance to be a great team. If Abney can average even half of his output from last time he was in the NBL, he will be a welcome addition.

Reply #382098 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Norton and Hinder were good. Holmes would've shot at 80-90% if he hadn't put up so much junk. Any reason he didn't play when they made their run? Things just working without him? I think Cairns took their foot off the pedal at one point.

Reply #382104 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Norton is only a teenager. Lots of people don't realise that. He has a bright future indeed. This is pretty much his rookie season since he was injured all year last season and only got on the floor in a couple of games.

Holmes always puts up abrupt, awkward shots that seem jilted in the context of basketball logic and the wider offensive flow of the game. Even the shots that go in are usually rubbish looks haha. I'm constantly amazed he shoots the ball at such a decent percentage given his absurd shot selection.

Three pointer on the fast break when you have no one in front of you on D except a PG and no offensive rbeounders in place? Why not?

Offensive rebound at the free throw line with no defender under the rim? Don't put it on the floor and lay it in uncontested, shoot it from there while moving sideways and backwards! Swish. He consistently defies logic on the offensive end. As long as he keeps rebounding though I don't care.

In fact, I honestly can't remember a single instance of him scoring off a layup in his year in Townsville.

Reply #382106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last night shows exactly why Crawford making the Boomers was a joke.

Reply #382112 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

By that same rationale you could say "last night shows why Ben Allen / Cam Tragardh not making the Boomers is a joke". One game -- good or bad -- does not a Boomer make.

The Boomers had a severe lack of outside shooting and addressed that with the final guy on the roster in PC.

Crawford isn't a franchise player like the Crocs' front office sometimes makes him out to be, but he is still the best shooter in the NBL, can play reasonable defense (used to be a great defender by age has slowed him) and can get his shot off against full defensive coverage. That is, he is a game breaker when he gets hot.

Ask him to do too much and he racks up turnovers.

He basically brings the same thing to the Crocs that CJ Bruton brings to the Breakers.

Reply #382116 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754