Issues with District Basketball?

Anyone have any issues with Basketball SA and the way basketball is run in this state plus the district system.

One thing I've noticed, its not how good you are, its who you know.

Topic #29513 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its definitely who you know for a lot of people,just look at some clubs division one line ups then when you notice that division two has much better players you kind of get the message.Had seen this in six clubs at least ,what a load of BS!

Reply #382182 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Well maybe if some of you looked pass your ego's and consider seeking options at the other 4 district clubs who are probably looking eagerly for posible Div 1 and Div 2 players and who gladly give your son /daughter an opportunity. Otherwise welcome to the system - been through it / done it - regret now not giving kids opportunity at the lowly clubs so they could have reached potential or at leasr had opportunity to show their potential rather than doing time waiting for the promises and then seeing next lot of recruits come in the door.Nothing apparently changed so grin and bear, can always hang hat on being at the big 3 club or the big 6 clubs, its about being part of the team and club, so embrace it. Wont change, so dont complain unless you are prepared to back with actions. End of day if kids happy thats a good thing but beware of false expectations before passes them by.

Reply #382189 | Report this post

Mr Carnegie  
Years ago

'One thing I've noticed, its not how good you are, its who you know.'

A very powerful and insightful observation Mr Interested Onlooker.

And there I was thinking that my mediocre performance in sport, business, love, in fact life in general was all my fault.

Nope. I just don't know the right people. My bloody friends - they're to blame!

I've de-friended all my facebook contacts and feel better already.

Success is just a click away.

Reply #382192 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Interested Onlooker, what's troubling you? Do you have specific issues, or just a general whinge?

Reply #382199 | Report this post

Years ago

"who you know and socio-economic status"
just pick em on talent please!

Reply #382222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clicks occur in most clubs in most sports, in teams, in the parents that support, in committees, in boards etc, interested onlooker your observation runs true in life as well its the corporate way. Coaches often overlook kids capable of playing in higher groups based on numerous things, parents, economics, height, intestinal fortitude. All parents believe their johnny is better than the next johnny..

I'll overlook a kid with talent and select a raw player with potential because I know a raw player is keen to learn and develop where as some kids who have been in district for several years are jaded know it all's who look good in practice but on the court prove that they don't understand teamwork.

Reply #382235 | Report this post

dko  
Years ago

Get some squeaky wheels.

Reply #382277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or you can Be like some, become a coach and just put your kids in Div 1 whether they are that standard or not. Put enough good talent around them and they will look better than they really are. That coach doesn't have to know anyone...lol

Reply #382340 | Report this post

Nug  
Years ago

I dont know of many clubs where someone could just walk up and say "oh yeah um I'd like to coach div 1" out of nowhere! Ridiculous point. And if they can, well that's the clubs fault for allowing such rubbish

Reply #382380 | Report this post

fact  
Years ago

i have worked hard for 2 clubs now - both times after improving the area i have been involved in - i have been pushed out (ie no longer required) by associates bringing direct family members in to replace me or into where my future position was to be.

Reply #382404 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Interested Onlooker, what's troubling you? Do you have specific issues, or just a general whinge?

I think you would find disgruntled people at every club. The most contentious issues that would be common to most clubs:

* Perceived favouritism from coaches / CD's/ JDO's
* Team selection criteria not clear or adhered to
* Court time (or lack thereof)
* Varied standards in discipline to poor behaviour (eg non-attendance at training, tech fouls etc)

The squeaky wheel does get oiled, particularly parents (mothers) who can rally support for revolutions. However, some paranoid CD's can suffer from control issues and seek to crush anything they perceive as "dissent".

I think there are a few groups of difficult people at clubs (both parents and coaches):

"The Sherman Tank" - If they don't get their own way, they just drive through everyone until they do.
"The A-Bomb" - the dangerous one. Bottle everything up and then explodes publicly creating a scene
"The Sniper" - the sneaky ones that whiteants the team's or club's efforts by sniping behind people's backs.

Reply #382408 | Report this post

Monthlies  
Years ago

Err Jack Toft ,you missed one ,LOL.
The "Hurdler" ,the kid who comes from a top 2 club and is picked for State Team despite their talent and plays more minutes than another despite that other getting the team back into the contest when on court.

Reply #382416 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:55 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754