hoopie
Years ago

Which NBL coach will be the first to go?

The Tigers just don't have the fire-power or size to match most of the other teams, based on the game against Adelaide. If it wasn't for Seth Scott, the margin would have been much more embarassing.

However, would the poor roster and the fact that he's a club golden boy be enough to keep Chris Anstey in the job to the end of the season? I don't think so.

Opinions?

Topic #29521 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

None will go.

Reply #382330 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

yeah, too early to suggest any will go...

Reply #382332 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

None.

Reply #382333 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

None.

Reply #382335 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Woolpert.

Reply #382338 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I reckon first player to go will be Braswell.

Reply #382339 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Situation, you're a subtle artist.

Did wonder if your spoiler comment yesterday was legit or a gag about Melbourne's ability?

Reply #382341 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

None will go this year.

No way, no how.

Clarke has the highest chance to go if the Sixers underperform, but even then, they would give him more than a season with this roster to figure it out, you would think.

Reply #382346 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The Tigers just don't have the ... size
------

They are actually the tallest team in the league at approx 201cm, some 2cm ahead of second tallest (Adelaide) and four above the league average of 197cm.

In terms of interior size they have the 211cm Burston who is a legit big man, 208cm Scott who looks like he can more than handle himself, 205cm Ballinger and 203cm Walker.

That's more than enough size.

Reply #382349 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

My spoiler comment yesterday was because the match result was in the thread title.

Today's comment is because I think Woolpert will be the first to go out of the current crop. Whether it happens mid-season or at the end of the season, I think a poor year by the Crocs, which is likely, will see him shown the door, especially after the import debacle they've already had.

It doesn't mean I think he is a worse coach than Heal or Anstey but neither of those clubs will sack their "golden boys" this year.

Reply #382354 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

I'm with most on this. I don't think any will be sacked during the season. If you go through the list the coaches fall into two categories
1. Runs on the board as a coach (N.Z., Perth, Wollongong, Cairns, Townsville)
2. Runs on the board as a player (Melbourne & Sydney)

The only one different is Clarke who has recruited a very good line up and will lock his place into Cat 1 after this season.

There could be a couple of off season changes is teams fail (Adelaide, Townsville, Sydney and Melbourne) but I have a feeling that we may see the same coaches go at it again next season.

Reply #382365 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

None will go.

If things went really pear shaped in Adelaide, I could see Clarke going mid season. He's probably the main one I could imagine getting the boot mid season, as he's the only one with the combination of 1. Being an experienced coach (ie: Not in first season) and 2. Never having achieved anything of note in his coaching career to date. So with the roster he's got now, if they're really struggling then his head could be on the proverbial chopping block

Reply #382366 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

When I said first season, I meant at that club

eg: Heal is in his first season at Kings, so although he's achieved minimally as a coach, he's exempt.

Adelaide is also historically a successful club with a proud history, and there will be a huge weight of expectations on Clarke's shoulders. You'd imagine he'd go if they miss top 4 anyway (especially if they miss by a margin) but if things go badly enough he's a candidate for a mid season sacking

Reply #382368 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

it does become a case of "if you can't do anything with this team, wtf will it take" in regards to Marty Clarke.

Reply #382376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal will go.

Reply #382402 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754