Happy Days
Years ago

Does sacking the coach guarantee success?

Interesting to see the Tigers yesterday and was left wondering whether we are going to see any real improvement from them this year. They seem to lack a real spine to build around with the likes of Rush, Walker, Lewis and Greer.
Your thoughts....

Topic #29522 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Andrej Lemmanis had the media calling for his head after his first few seasons and again when they failed to make the play offs with Penney. Marty Clarks 3 year plan seems to be finally headed in the right direction also.

Reply #382343 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Without the demise of the Blaze, the Sixers would look very different - a frustrated Schensch surrounded by kids, and that payout from Clarke's "three year plan" looks different too...

Reply #382345 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

But they did make the most of that situation and they did get an able cast to surround the big Ginge.
Sometimes a little patience can pay off

Reply #382355 | Report this post

cousin it  
Years ago

If Gold Coast stayed alive the 6ers would have signed 2 imports at high budgets based on the Gibbo and Peach signings.
Wasnt Caddee signed before Gold Coast fell over?
I think its a bit lame to argue that the gold coast issues made this team, it is more like they took the opportunity instead of imports

Reply #382362 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The Tigers problems go way beyond their coaching panel. Gleeson got in there last year and was trying to correct the lazy culture and look where it got him. Gleeson wasn't the problem. He would've been the solution had the organisation wanted to change. They didn't. Anstey has his hands full with problems and I, for one, don't feel one bit sorry for him considering he brought it all on himself.

Reply #382373 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Does buying a condom guarantee sex?

Reply #382379 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The Tigers will struggle again, but it would've been the same with Gleeson.

The biggest problem with the Tigers is their roster. Who have they got who can change a game?

Look at the other teams- they've all got someone who can average close to 20 a game and be a legit go to man. And legit star players who do the little things and can win games on their own- ie: Guys who might not regularly shoot 20 but do other things and have a huge impact on the result, like Gibbo or Damian Martin.

The other teams mostly have several guys who fit those cetagories- eg: DJ, Gibbo @ 36ers. Wilson, Tragardh @ Taipans. Ervin, Maybe PC @ Crocs. Jackson and Abercrombie @ NZ. etc. Perth have Martin, Redhage and Lisch.

The Tigers? No one who you could really safely say was in that elite category. Ballinger maybe? Seth Scott looked good yesterday- he could be a candidate? Goulding if he steps up in a major way? They're all question marks at this stage.

Reply #382381 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, cousin it, Cadee signed before the Blaze fell over. Didn't want to play behind Gibson and an import.

The Breakers didn't see success straight away, but they did benefit from Brisbane busting up and them getting Bruton and Boucher after that as a result. Those were key pieces. Final piece was getting Vukona from the Blaze, I think.

Reply #382383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed LV. It's really not a coaching problem, it's a culture problem

Reply #382394 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Did Marty and his red-headed step-brother sign the Blaze players ( Gibson and Petrie) , or did the "organisation" strongly suggest doing so - and then ensured that there was enough money to get those players ( as I think may have happened with Schensch) rather than all it to be spent on another pair of coach-selected imports.

I really think that the only new player "recruited" by the tassie twins was Cadee - and he may well have basically self-selected the 36ers as the only team who were likely to give him good court time in the PG spot.

Reply #382399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where was Gibson when he was making his choice after the Blaze died and where was Clarke at that time?

Reply #382403 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

good point Anonymous - I'm certain that they were both sitting at the end of the Olympic bench doing very little - I'm certain that their hot topic of conversation was

"can you come and play for us ? - I'm well known as a great development coach !"

(Mod: Sniping.)

;))

Reply #382411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aha gold scouting comment Old

Reply #382449 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Agree cousin it, 36ers probably would have signed 2 imports and probably higher priced than Massingale. The difference from what did happen is that the imports most likely would have been unknown quantities. To date, Clarke's record with recruiting imports - particularly new to the NBL - for specific roles has been unimpressive.

Reply #382467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No didn't you this:

http://themoscownews.com/sports/20101126/188234406.html

Reply #382811 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:45 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754