Isaac
Years ago

Rookies after round one

Any thoughts regarding the rookies after their opening games?

For the first time in memory, I've watched all games in a round thanks to NBL.TV.

Thought Norton looked reasonably composed and Gliddon was sharp for Cairns. Steindl was efficient.

Tomlinson had one passage where he missed a three, ball got back to him, and he attempted another. Same result. But showed a lack of nerves I guess.

Topic #29531 | Report this topic

clarky  
Years ago

I thought Gliddon and Steindl were the most impressive, purely through their composure on the court.

Gliddon had a couple of passages where he made a poor decision or took a bad shot, but his ability to make up for it on the defensive end and correct his mistakes in the next play stood out.

Steindl was extremely efficient and somewhat reminds me of the way Anatoly Bose started last season before he became a focal point of the offense(picking his spots, doing all the little things, and playing good team basketball).

Reply #382464 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I was very impressed with Norton, thought Steindl and Gliddon really did their jobs well (didnt expect a defensive performance like that from Gliddon) and thought Tomlinson got caught in a bad situation where Melbourne's leaders went away from the game plan.

While he's not a rookie Mitch Creek is still very young and he looked like he has made some real strides, although this Friday will probably tell more.

Reply #382466 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

I thought Gliddon and Steindl were by farb tghe best.. Mitch Nortonm isnt a rookie is he?

Reply #382473 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He played a total of 28mins last season so effectively he is.

He played more than that last Saturday, and to go 39mins against Cairns for one turnover was a super effort for a 19yo, not to mention his 10 points.

Reply #382477 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Pity about his free throw shooting, he could have had a few more point

Reply #382481 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Norton's speed and confidence pushing the ball on the break really impressed me.

Gliddon and Steindl looked like ready made NBL players who will have an impact this season. Extra outside shooters is a massive help for that team, because Tragardh will score most of his points within 10 ft of the ring, and will demand a lot of attention from defenders. These guys will spread the floor. I like the mix they have on offense- these rookies fit well with Wilson, Tragardh and Loughton.

Reply #382497 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The jury is still well and truly out on all these guys though, and especially Tomlinson who will go up against Jackson + Bruton, Martin + Robbins, Henry + Martin + Bruce in the next 3 games. We'll see where he's at soon

Reply #382498 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Both of Cairns' rookies have nice high releases & trajectories on their jumpshots too, so they can their longball off with full coverage.

Norton's good game is great news too. The poor kid has been injured on and off for the past two years or so, so I hope his bill of health stays clean.

Reply #382519 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754