igotmadskills
Years ago

Any news on farley

Just wondering if anyone has any news on farleys singing?? I heard his contract sign off date was yesterday and it hadnt been signes. channel 10 stated it was a 2 + 1 year deal..??
Has smyth signed yet??
any other gossip going around??

Topic #2956 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

farley sings??

Reply #33601 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Sorry mate, typing too fast.. You never made a mixstake before...that 1 was a joke by the way.

Reply #33605 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last I heard, Farley had rejected the offer and the club had given him 48 hours to reconsider.

Reply #33609 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Can anyone spell debacle?

Reply #33613 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

where all worried about farley
has it occured to anyone that we havent secured Maher - ok hes given his verbal agreement but so did bradtke all those years ago and so did farley last time and this time,

Farley will be a Momentus loss but to fatham losing maher the heart and sole of the 6ers would result in utter disaster , i know myself as supporter and ticket holder would be disgusted to see him in anything other then 6ers hell i would go as far as saying you would be lucky to get 30% capacity at the dome - this could very well spell the end of the sixers and we will be remebered in the likes of canberra once a power house now extinct,

GET your act together Sixers cause we the Fans have had enough of your BS

Reply #33632 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I agree that Maher cannot be replaced but if he gets an unbelievable offer from Europe what do you suggest the 36ers do about it or could have done to prevent it?

It's not fair to blame anyone if this eventuates.

Maher as the greatest ever 36er (sorry MD) deserves to make whatever choice he wants and if he wants to continue playing in Europe then good luck to him but it won't be because of a blunder by the 36ers.

The alternative of signing an early replacement for Maher because of the chance he may stay in Europe isn't realistic. Maher's spot on the roster has to be kept for him until the day Maher says he will definitely not be back.

Hopefully this day won't arrive but if it does it won't be because of the 36ers' mistake.

I'm sure Maher and Farley will be back next season and we will field a better team than last year.

If Farley doesn't return we will just have to hope we sign a great import replacement and not a dud.

If Maher doesn't return then you would think Hill would become a starter and the cap space created used to improve the roster in a different way (ie Aussie big man).

Even in worst case scenario the 36ers will not be a joke this year and will win their fair share of games.

Reply #33634 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Botis article today makes it sound like he will not be coming this year sighting his wife being pregnant as a reason to not take a pay cut.

I can just imagine the offer " yes Willie you were runner up scoring leader, lead the team to a 4th finish that should have been higher had we not thrown the game against Cairns, gave the few fans that came to the games some great memeories and provided a marketing tool that we did not use.

As a sign of our apprcaiation we would like you to take a pay cut."

If he aint here this year i doubt he will be back at all.

Wonder what dollars he played at the pigs for?

Reply #33640 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

As a Kings fan I hope Farley signs that will burn up your second import spot and with not many Aussie big men available and Paul Rees not being re-signed it will make the 6ers small. The Kings have had success over the past couple of years with import big men don't you think it's time the 6ers looked that way.

4 Peat in the making.

Reply #33645 | Report this post

Saint Nick  
Years ago

4 cheat in the making more like it.

To borrow a line from the NBL front office "the NBL has to have a successful side in Sydney to make basketball a viable national sport" Gee I wonder who is screwing with the system for success.

Reply #33647 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's Boti's article today:

Willie may return but no time soon

Given that the club are not spending the full cap, surely it's an issue of the Sixers lacking the funds to spend on him this year.

Adelaide coach Phil Smyth expressed disappointment with the situation.

"The danger for us is Willie might be somewhere else in the second and third year," Smyth said. "After all, he is a professional basketball player."

Would they have had the funds if they did a better job of marketing the games last year? If they had more realistic ticket prices?

Why isn't it an option to come up with extra money now, via a sponsor, get Willie, and make sure they put a top team on the court?

Where is the extra money coming from in 2006/07? Letting a reasonably paid player go elsewhere?

Reply #33652 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Any theories on how the Sixers will be able to offer more in years two and three?

Planning on cutting other players? Maher retiring? Planning on huge crowds this season increasing revenue? Planning on winning the lottery?

Seems weird to me.

Reply #33656 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What known options are left? Or are we to be forced to try an unknown?

Higgins mentioned that they had other imports they were considering but didn't have any names.

Redhage is tearing up the SEABL again, but we already have Dusty and enough other forwards.

Shame all of this wasn't handled earlier so that Darnell could've been considered...

Reply #33659 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Hey St. Nick I'm sure they are doing something its expensive to live in Sydney but they are getting it through the NBL and I'm also sure that what ever Sydney can or is doing every other club can also do at the end of the day 3 banners in the den with a 4th in the making.

Back to subject my point is I think the 6ers need a quality big as the second import, find an Aussie point to help Maher out whats Damon doing? I see Luke Martin is on the free agents list. Is Brad Hill the answer?

Reply #33660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allan Iverson is the answer. Not sure what they call Brad Hill. He aint the answer though...yet.

Reply #33661 | Report this post

Saint Nick  
Years ago

If Iverson is the Answer? Do we want to ask the question?

Reply #33666 | Report this post

Pablo  
Years ago

I hear Charles Thomas might be going back to Woolongong, maybe he isnt such a bad fit anymore here

Reply #33667 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

CT is currently averaging 16.7 PPG, 6.5 APG and 6.3 RPG in Sweden. Oh, and 3.1 SPG. His profile

I still think that a lot of people were/are too harsh on Charles. Went to his outside shot too often but made some great passes while with Adelaide.

So, without Farley, what are the options?

Reply #33669 | Report this post

Ogre  
Years ago

Are people putting too much hope on Brad Hill I think they should ease him into it last year he caught teams out with the surprise factor it is another thing to be able to do it when teams know about.

Reply #33672 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

bankrupt here we come

Reply #33681 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

no import is going to take a pay cut,so count farley out of next seasons team.

Reply #33696 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Farley basically gone (just waiting for offical work really) and talk of CT. I feel sick.

Reply #33707 | Report this post

Saint Nick  
Years ago

At the end of the day BASA or 36ers management have to do what is best for the organization, and if that means asking Willy Farley to take a pay cut then that's what they have to do. Willy will not make the 36ers any better than any other import that they could get (no disrespect to him) but being an import gives the coaching staff a lot more opportunities to find a replacement player. Had it been Brett Maher who was asked to take a pay cut and he refused and left the program that potentially would have created a lot more headaches that could not have been fixed quickly.

Who knows what player will get signed, Phil Smyth may find a player who is willing to sign for one year that may allow the fans to forget about Mr Farley.

The 36ers management have to balance the books just like every other business throughout the world, and if the books don't get balanced the employees have to take a pay cut or redundancies will get put in place.

Reply #33709 | Report this post

Avanti  
Years ago

"Willy will not make the 36ers any better than any other import that they could get"

Huh?? Plenty have come and gone through the league nowhere near the MVP calibre of Willie....

His loss would be a huge one....

Reply #33712 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Saint Nick, you make a good point. Fact is, this should have been sorted months ago, so we could have looked at free agents like Mee etc. If you are to take the hard line and make everything a business decision, then why not set a deadline two months ago so the club can look at quality players and put a team on the floor.

Reply #33713 | Report this post

Saint Nick  
Years ago

'The Doctor' absolutely, but why wasn't it? Simple BASA and the 36ers board have different priorities regarding how much money they have to spend on players or recruiting. Looking from the outside, the people involved are not that efficient at making decisions regarding player contracts or a salary budget and have individual agendas. Why wasn't the necessary amount of money needed for the salary budget known 2 months before the end of last season or at very least how much they would have to spend with players already under contract.

Reply #33715 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Awesome, let's get Scooter Sherrill!

Who? My point exactly.

Willie was second in scoring and almost got the league MVP award despite playing for a team with other stand-out players. He has done well in both his years with the team. When Maher was out last season, he elevated his game. Regaining that type of ability is vastly preferable to chancing it on an unknown.

He is a fan favourite and an entertainer at heart. That doesn't come with every import that enters the NBL -- not even close.

Now, there may be issues with the negotiating that have led to this, but I don't think anyone should be seriously suggesting that Farley is easily replaceable.

Reply #33716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers really need to shape up sooner than later.

Reply #33718 | Report this post

Saint Nick  
Years ago

The same predicament was being talked about when Darnell Mee left, did anyone know about Willy Farley before he came to Adelaide? What about a young bloke 21 years ago who came to Adelaide from Philadelphia, Mark Davis wasn't it? The point I am trying to make is, Willy Farley is a very good player and in the top 3 or 4 player in the NBL ATM but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't sign with the sixers. There is a plethora of talented players that would be a viable option for the 36ers that could replace Willy Farley

Reply #33721 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Name one.

Reply #33723 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Saint Nick ..

We could end up with a dud like Jo Jo .. or Paris McCurdy .. at least with Willie we have a 'known' commodity.

Talk to me about this 'plethora' of players .. Do you have any suggestions? Are you a scout? or just got plenty to say about very little...

Sixers management have been caught out for neing too slow yet again... if $$ were an issue then let it be fought out between the second half of the roster not a pivotal piece of the team !

Isaac is right .. he wont be easily replaced, and we dont wont to do the Sydney import exchange (5 imports in 2 seasons or something)to find someone good .

Reply #33725 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Saint Nick, you're talking about 3 imports out of however many that haven't really lasted. Do I need to point you to the "Worst Sixers imports" threads?

The guy almost won the scoring title twice. One championship from two attempts with the club. Threw down one of the most satisfying dunks seen at the Dome. He's at the height of his game, has no real history of injury (has he even missed a game for Adelaide?) and he's the main fan drawcard in the team. Have the Sixers ever had a more entertaining player? Stronger? Yes. More complete? Yes. But I don't know about more entertaining.

Reply #33726 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Well said Skyhook. We don't want another Jeff Brown incident. 24 ppg is hard to replace.

Whatever the reason why this issue wasn't dealt with months ago, it doesn't really matter. The management know whose contracts are up, how much they are being paid etc. Why can't this be sorted in preparation for the end of the season, then give ALL players one month to accept/reject offers, then chase free agents to fill spots with the pool of money available.

Sixers approach is let players take as long as they want, don't tell Reesy we don't want him (make HIM make the ultimatum!!) get caught with our dicks in our collective hands and try to scrape up a team last minute. If we are lucky, we get a good import. What about the other spots? We could end up with bloody Grant Kruger!

Reply #33727 | Report this post

Saint Nick  
Years ago

We could also end up with a gun like Chris Williams or someone of his calibre. Have a little bit of faith in Phil Smyth and who he may recruit (plus have a look at his record for recruiting imports as well, any duds) to replace Willy Farley

Other than that

Oh well, your right, I am wrong, you're the king of the castle.

Reply #33729 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Grant Kruger .. LOL i think we have more chance of coaxing Gaze or Kerle out of retirement!

He's about as popular as taxes !

Reply #33731 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

Simply put, Farley should be paid whatever he asks for. This guy is the reason that Adelaide was entertaining to watch last season. He cannot be easily replaced. I agree with Isaac, if the money isn't there this year where is it going to come from next year.

Its my understanding the Mark Nash has resigned. I don't care if he signed for $30K, would that not have been better spent on Farley?

I agree that we have to wait for Maher, but to risk losing our best scorer from last season and the best scorer from the last decade is insane. It also puts a HUGE amount of pressure on Brad Hill.

What happens if Jacob Holmes actually manages to shoot WORSE than he did last year? Where the hell is the offence going to come from?

Reply #33732 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

I am actually fairly confident in Smyth that he is capable of finding a good replacement import if need be.

People can site Jeff Brown, Paris McCurdy, Jo Jo English. But they weren't brought here by Smyth who has a very good record with recruiting imports.

Reply #33734 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

im a big fan of what smyth has done for the club, but i thought that last season should have been his last. I think that it may have been a mistake resigning him as coach. I think sixers need a fresh start, after all, what are we doing resigning nashy. Nashy was good in his day, but why not look elswehere,

And why didnt we go stronger at bradtke when he was in the free agent market. We waited for so long for players who have always been off and on. why not play the immediate free agent market.

Reply #33738 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

i think farley is invaluable in all aspects as he was club mvp, and made a huge difference to the team both times he joined it, he also is a fan favourite and a huge loss!!!!
who do you thik we should get to replace him???, i still think they should negotioate n see if they can get him back tho.
Imports such as Wethers, Franklin, Wells, Tucker i think would be good fits, another combo i thought of was sign james harvey and an import big like garrison to help out coops in the middle since there r few decent aussie bigs available, but we definatly need a starting guard. Heres hoping maher comes back or it could be a very long season!!

Reply #33739 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

St. Nick you are right. Farley goes you sign another one. There are plenty of fish in the ocean. You just have to know what ocean and how to catch them. The problem is I dont think the sixers even know what ocean to look in let alone how to catch one! We missed out on the last few fish we could have got. Mee, Bradtke, Newley. Perhaps we need to engage some different fisherman.

Reply #33742 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

What is the exact problem with why Farley won't join the team next season, but indicated he would for the following 2 seasons? Perhaps money is not an issue this year but his wife being pregnant is. Does he just want to stay home this year to be with his family? If its purely money that is causing the problem, then perhaps the Sixers need to be a bit more flexible. After all trying to skimp on his salary is going to affect the number of seats being filled in the stadium. If you don't spend the money, you don't make the money. Farley is a very family orientated person and finds it difficult being away from his family for so long. Money is not always the answer to everything.

Reply #33765 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The ocean that the sixers are fishing in is the same ocean that contains the Titantic and quite possible the Bermuda Triangle and did anyone see where that midget Japanese submarine go???

Is it just me, but just how many bandaid's can BASA and the sixers management keep putting over their issue's before it all turns to shit and dies???

Farley is gone, and I can't really see, actually there isn't a replacement on Australian shore's for Willy......

Oh well.....as they say shit happens!!!! Nothing surprises me now.

Reply #33775 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Cmon Lets put or complaints to paper lets start a petition to bring chage to this moronic board we have.

PEOPLE POWER

Reply #33781 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I agree that there are other imports out there, but why wasn't this crap sorted months ago so we can do the absolute best job of recruiting them?

I agree, put Nash's money into Farley or Bradtke or James Harvey or Ben Castle. Nash is done at NBL level. I hope he proves me wrong.

Saint Nick, its easy to say that there are plenty of fish in the sea, but its another job to get them here. Why mess with our imports? We had the BEST import duo in the L last year. The shortfalls of the Sixers were in other areas of the roster. Big men and back up guards.

Reply #33852 | Report this post

cagey  
Years ago

Doc,
No matter how you look at it Nash is still 6'8 and can shoot the three and rebound - a great NBL role player. Plus the sixers get him cheap cos of his injury history. the money saved if they hadn't got Nash would be peanuts.

Reply #33856 | Report this post

cagey  
Years ago

Also,
The sixers seem to be in favour of going with Maher, Farley and Rychart as their big three (forget the actual recruiting process for a moment). They really need role players to surround them eg Nash and Oscar - shoot the open three, rebound and play D. Rees - set screens, rebound play D. What they have lacked is a consistent role player in the guard/small forward department. Jacob needs to get his shot consistent (spoken about enough on here already) and Hill is still young and may be the answer in a few years but probably not yet.

Reply #33857 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Nash if Fit will be a comendable player all season and will be welcome addition back to the team

Cagey you mention rees to set the screens unfortunetly hes been told to go,

Jacob, Oscar are ready to take the next step. jacob needs to improve his shooting but the rest of his game was spot on, oscar needs to have a bit more confidence in his self

But with out farley or if we get a substandard import to much pressure is on these guys and it might work wonders for there game or it could also put it into reverse :P

Reply #33872 | Report this post

Wish I could Dunk  
Years ago

Dont we go through this crap every year? leave the recruiting to the last minute....guess its worked for Smyth in the past...lets hope it does again

Reply #33890 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

except i dont think smyths suggestion are even getting looked at by the powers at be

Reply #33906 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

so are team for next season-hill ng holmes nash forman????????????sad

Reply #33912 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

And Cooper.

Reply #33927 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Any one else see the channel ten news were a ice hockey pro from Pittsburgh is playing for the Avalanche basically for the plane fare out here.

The NHL is currently on strike so this dude has taken the opputunity to travel the world and play some hockey at the same time. He is 6'9 and weighs 118kg.....wonder if he can shoot the ball??

How this relates to the sixers is that the Avalanche thought there was no way a guy making milions in the NHL would ever go for playing hockey in Adelaide for nothing yet here he is....can you see BASA being ballsy enough to do that?

BASA stuffing around with contracts cost us Cattalini .( Cats contract was that he had come to Adelaide to play as long as Phil was coach, when he signed with Cairns we had no coach officially therefore giving him an out of Adelaide clause.)

Stuffing about with Willie is making us miss out on other options.

This happened last time Willie's contract was up. I thought you were supposed to learn from your mistakes!?!?!?!?

Reply #33936 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Come on do you think they will learn from there mistakes

that would assume they have common sense and a brain

sadly they lack both

Reply #33945 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754