Isaac
Years ago

Grantland: NBA should consider 40 minute games

Games are too long
Why not go to 40 minutes?
This isn't completely far-fetched. I’ve talked to several high-ranking executives who would favor cutting game length, and the NBA and FIBA have discussed unifying basketball rules across the board.
Suggests that 40 minute games could build unpredictability in the regular season and notes that this is something that helps the NCAA tournament:
... the NCAA sells the broadcast rights for a three-week tournament for nearly as large an annual fee as the NBA gets from an entire season of games. The inherent unpredictability of the NCAA’s one-and-done format and the resulting scarcity of games are the driving forces behind the wild popularity of the tournament — and of its sky-high broadcast fees.
Full article

Topic #29615 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

oh isaac, you have been trolling the web looking for something like this haven't you?

If this happens what are the haters gunna hate?

Reply #383602 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@BenFitz spotted and tweeted it.

Corrected topic to note that it's a Grantland story, but not by Bill Simmons.

Reply #383603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh all the NBA boners will go nuts if it ever happens......what about stats.....but the best league in the world plays 48....Whoops

Reply #383605 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

I contest that Anon, Euroleague plays 40 minutes./

Reply #383607 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Stop trolling HO!

Reply #383608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Contest all you like, but like the olympics, the depth of the USA teams are better. Exhibition games between Euroleague teams and NBA teams mean nothing to the NBA teams, they are simply a jaunt.

Reply #383613 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sorry Paul, he was wrong. Euroleague definitely plays 40 minutes. I looked it up. I think he was talking about the best known league in the world. Easy mistake to make.

Reply #383617 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're mostly a jaunt because no NBA team would dare play a serious game. They have too much to lose.

Reply #383622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many NBA games are over with 4-7 minutes remaining. Especially for road teams who have to travel to the next town. They pack up and put it to bed.

This is why the Olympics is so good. Every possession matters. There is no filler. Mistakes and turnovers get amplified X 100.

Reply #383643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone has ever watch a NFL or MLB game on TV you would realize that the NBA's 4x12 min quarters are considered a short game in comparison to a 3 hour NFL game.I could never see them shortening the an NBA game.

Reply #383742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not a good idea and the nbl should go back to 48min games

Reply #383869 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754