Mick
Years ago

Crocs v Breakers Recap

Crocs slip to 0-3, despite some on-court improvement.

They are still only playing at a small percentage of what they are capable of, but by the time they figure it out will it be too late?

Peter Crawford had another game to forget, while the Crocs were in control numerous times during the game, but then regressed to their "pass it around the perimeter two meters out from the three point line until you pass it out of bounds or the shot clock expires" offensive scheme. Gary Ervin had a few key turnovers and a brain fart technical foul, but otherwise had a good game.

Mika Vukona willed his team to victory and was on every loose ball. Can't say enough about his performance.

Officiating was pretty bad again, going both ways. It seemed like the bad calls would go one team's way for a five minute stretch, and then all go the other team's way for five minutes, and back again, and so on, and so on...

Was interesting that it was a game of two halves to a tee: Townsville controlled the first half, with a late Breakers run to close the half, while NZ controlled the second half, with a late Crocs run to close the game.

Topic #29640 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Mick, you know how I said the refs werent allowing the holding and hacking of previous seasons (and you agreed), well they certainly slipped back into old ways last night! It was very poor.

It was an excellent first half and a fantastic finish with Ervin's brilliant late spurt after an ok game and then Jackson's game winner. Vukona was incredible as you said, and Pledger was a force defensively.

Crocs will certainly be competitive this year.

Reply #383881 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think Crocs should have won that one, there were some bad calls by the refs.

Reply #383884 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think they would have run away with it and put it out of reach in that first half, until Gary Ervin's shoving re-enactment with the ref sparked a Breakers run afer the technical foul. And then the Crocs managed to gain control and blow the lead out again before having a couple more brain explosions to close out the first half.

This Crocs team has lots of young guys playing major minutes (norton, blanchfield, ben allen), and NZ capitalised on that. Then you have guys like Ben Allen, Jacob Holmes, Russell Hinder, and Larry Abney whose offensive decision making isn't always exactly intelligent or in the flow of the offense. They will get better as they find more of an identity, and Gary Ervin and Peter Crawford are still finding their rhythm and role within the new team.

Woolpert has a lot of work to do implementing a suitable offense for when things keep getting stale, and policing the distribution of shot attempts. PC shooting 50% off only 4 attempts while Ben Allen goes 0/9 is just not gonna cut it.

On a positive note, their defense is already better than last year's team, and they look great when they run and attack, but that halfcourt offense is just embarassing to watch.

Michael Cedar and Todd Blanchfield both had another solid game for the Crocs. Cedar in particular has impressed me with the way he has focused on defense and rebounding to turn around his form. He is becoming one of the better rebounding guards in the league.

On an unrelated note, now that he plays for my hometown team, it was interesting to note that Ervin is listed at six foot. He makes Mitch Norton look tall, and he is only listed at 5'11"...

Reply #383885 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also, on another unrelated note, Darryl Corletto and Ben Allen went head-to-head in the first round of the battle for the NBL's prestigious "who has the stupidest metrosexual haircut with the most hair product in it" award.

It was a dead heat. Ben and Darryl will spend more time staring at themselves in the mirror perfecting their craft ahead of the next matchup between the two teams.

Reply #383908 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Crawford looked pissed when he went to the bench and Cedric Jackson looked rattled, not sure what was up with that weak looking stiff arm to the back of Hinders melon.
Pedger almost shoved the ball down Ben Allens throat on one of those blocks

Reply #383976 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't think I've ever seen a big man at any level put up so much weak garbage as what Ben Allen did on Friday night. I hope Pledger taught him a lesson.

Most of those pathetic attempts wouldn't have even gone in without any defense.

Reply #383980 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754