Mick
Years ago

Crocs @ Hawks - Sunday Afternoon

Sportsbet odds:

WOL: 1.45
TSV: 2.75

Gary Ervin returns to the 'Gong for the first time since leaving after his MVP season.

Crocs will be hungry and dangerous after a narrow road loss to NZ on Friday night to slip to 0-3, while the Hawks have had a great start to the season, but haven't faced the same level of competition that Townsville has 3 games in.

I don't see Townsville dropping this one after the heartbreaker in NZ, especially with the way they have handled Wollongong the past two seasons.

That said, I am somewhat biased as a Crocs fan, and haven't seen these 2012 Hawks play yet so don't know what they are capable of.

Topic #29654 | Report this topic

G Rudd  
Years ago

Crocs have to wi this, or I'm thinking there will be a lot if us supporters out here looking for scalps.

Reply #383997 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I just hope that Allen, Hinder, and Abney have a decent game. They have been up and down so far.

Allen, Hinder, and Abney all need to get looks closer to the basket. And it's not the other players' fault, for not finding them it's theirs' for not getting good, deep position and hanging around the perimeter too much.

Allen needs to pick his spots a lot better. He doesn't know when to pass or when to shoot. Way too passive against NZ and finished 0/9 because of it.

Reply #384004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL TV coverage is very poor quality. The worst that I have seen. Thought that it would get better.

Reply #384031 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Very dark!

Reply #384032 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hi Mick, how's your Sunday going?

Reply #384070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just finished watching this on NBL TV, stream great, commentators not so but ok. Gee Hawks were good, very slick unit atm, big test for 36ers next Sunday.

Reply #384075 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

AAP.

WOLLLONGONG, NSW.

The Townsville Crocodiles have slumped to an 0-4 record to secure bottom place on the iiNet NBL ladder with an 84-66 road loss to the Wollongong Hawks on Sunday afternoon.

The Crocs, not content with possessing the NBL's worst offence, decided to make their mark on the other end of the floor, inviting even the most incompetent of Hawks' scorers to waltz to the rim at will.

Townsville coach Paul Woolpert described the loss as season-defining,

"This is a team that comes out to make statements every game," the second year Crocs' mentor said,

"I was disappointed with the way we were playing one half of the court in the first three games, so I said to the guys before this game, 'do you want to go down in history or do you just want to be forgotten as mediocre?' If we are going to have the league's worst offence, why not throw in the towel at the other end too? I was really pleased with the way the guys grabbed the bull by the horns and allowed Wollongong the freedom to score in the keyway without too much effort all night long.

"There were a couple of plays in that third quarter where our bigs almost contested some Wollongong layups, but I quickly called a timeout and reinforced the game plan to Ben, Jake, Rusty and Larry."

Having lost the first three games of their 2012 season coming into the Wollongong matchup, Woolpert was adamant to learn from the Crocs' early season missteps,

"I was a little worried with the way the guys were working too hard in New Zealand, diving on loose balls, running hard off picks, and actually on one or two occasions running at fall speed. I told them in no uncertain terms that if they want to stay on the floor on this team, any bodily movements faster than a power walk or light jog will not be tolerated."

The Crocs game plan of keep their four front court players on the perimeter again misfired, with Jacob Holmes, Russell Hinder, Larry Abney and Ben Allen once again failing to fill the role of spot-up-shooter normally reserved for smaller players with actual shooting ability and play-making skills.

"I don't like playing the big guys on the inside," Woolpert said, "when you've coached the game of basketball as long as I have, getting a seven-foot centre shots at the rim is bit of cop-out. It's too easy."

The Crocs have the lowest field goal percentage in the league for 2012, and are on track to set the all time record for worst marksmanship in the Australian competition if they keep up their remarkable early season form.

Captain Russell Hinder was open about the Crocs' strategy coming into the game,

"We know that if there isn't an open three point shot first thing down the floor, we have to pass the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock expires or we pass it out of bounds. It might seem unorthodox but that's how we surprise the opposition," the Crocs' skipper said,

"As the captain of this team I like to lead from the front by giving the opponent as many quick scores as possible so we can get back to our offensive sets in a timely manner."

Wollongong Hawks veteran Glen Saville said the Crocs' were an interesting opponent to face in a 21st century basketball game, "They seem to place no emphasis on effort, scouting, efficiency, passing the ball or running fast. As an opposing player it's quite refreshing. Several times I gave Ben Allen and Jacob Holmes an open lane to the basket but instead they chose to step backwards and shoot a twirling fade away. It's almost as if they don't want to score a layup."

"Layups are for under 12 girls," veteran Crocs' forward Jacob Holmes commented,

"Open layups are even girlier. Twirling, blind fadeaways under full pressure defense is how a real man shoots a basketball. Scoring from efficient spots on the floor is what the opponent will expect. We are smarter than that."

The Crocs were not entirely without offensive punch, with young-gun Todd Blanchfield bravely defying the North Queenslanders' prematch game plan and attempting to score the basketball from historically-efficient spots on the floor,

"I made a couple of strong moves to the basket and hit a couple of open threes," the third year swingman recounted,

"but then I realised I was deviating from the game plan. If I am going to be a great player in this league I have to learn from the veterans like Larry, Jake and Russ. If you've got height, skill and athleticism, don't let it get in the way of the team strategy which is to pass the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock expires or the other team steals the ball. I guess in that regard I was selfish. I just hope my teammates can forgive me and won't go too hard on me at training this week."

Captain Russell Hinder said the athletic Mackay product still had lots to learn about professional basketball,

"Vinny (Blanchfield) was completely out of line tonight. The kid's heart is in the right place, but he was making plays at the basket, attempting to get teammates involved, and shooting open jump shots with his legs underneath him and a decent follow-through. That's not Crocs basketball. It's something we need to iron out in training this week, but it will continue to be a learning curve for the kid. If he wants to make a name for himself in this league, and on this team, he needs to shoot the ball from the perimeter and the perimeter only, preferably under a tight double team when there is an open Crocs player under the rim screaming for the ball, like everyone else does. At some point or another, he's going to have to tow the line."

Third year centre Ben Allen couldn't find the basket in what appeared to be a constant attempt to avoid contact at all costs, but managed to put the whole night in perspective,

"It's a road game, the hotel didn't have a hair dryer, and I still managed to make my hair look this good. If that's not a road victory in this league, then I don't know what is..."

Next up, the Crocs face fellow cellar-dwellers Sydney in Townsville on Friday night.

Reply #384085 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Mick absolute GOLD!!!!!! Lets hope the Crocs read it now and see how embarrased Crocs supporters are.

Reply #384087 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Fantasy teams must be loving Allen's 24% from the field. Almost as though teams gave him an expectation of greatness in the pre-season.

Mick, I now see what you spent Sunday evening doing...

Reply #384092 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I can't recall in recent memory a lazier team that is more easily beaten in effort areas.

This is a train wreck right now. I would happily stand behind a team a team that is outmatched in height, athleticism or skill, but losing like this is not something anyone could be proud of.

Still plenty of time to turn it around, but you'd have to ask yourself right now if anyone on this team apart from Todd Blanchfield actually wants to put the ball in the basket.

They all look like they have money on the other team.

Reply #384095 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

Mick, Thanks for the laugh

Reply #384096 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

I was reading this thinking... oh wow I cant believe Woolpert actually said this during an interview, but I guess it is a good way of firing the guys up a bit... Then I got to...

"Captain Russell Hinder was open about the Crocs' strategy coming into the game,

"We know that if there isn't an open three point shot first thing down the floor, we have to pass the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock expires or we pass it out of bounds. It might seem unorthodox but that's how we surprise the opposition," the Crocs' skipper said, "

At this point it dawned on me.... LOL!

Thanks Mick - contender for post of the year!

Reply #384098 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Kudos to the Hawks as well.

They aren't the most talented team in the league, but they play the game the right way, take all the right shots and work hard on both ends of the floor.

Reply #384103 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Mick, gold! Great start to the week. Ha ha.

Reply #384111 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Well done Mick. I thought you were delusional early on with your support for the Crocs bigs in general and specifically Allen but nice to see you are calling them out.

Looks to me that Woolpert has "lost" this team. Poor effort, bad decisions and Crawford pouting even more that he has in the past.
Will Elliot Goblet get the flick if things continue?

Allen, Hinder and Abney have turned Trigger, Pledger and now even Gruber into superstars in the last few weeks. Only Blanchfield and Holmes at times can hold their heads up so far this season.

Reply #384207 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Holme's shot selection has always been atrocious, but he's taking it to a new level this year. At least he is rebounding well, I suppose.

Only player that can hold his head high is Todd Blanchfield.

The Crocs are historically bad right now. It's purely an effort thing too.

Every pass they throw is a lazy, lobbed toss when a crisp, straight chest is called for. I don't think I have honestly seen a Crocs player sprint this season. I mean actually run at full speed.

The only time would have been Gary Ervin in that late run in Auckland.

The bright side is that it couldn't possibly get any worse than this. They still have the potential to be a playoff team -- because the problem is entirely in decision making and effort, but right now I am calling them what they are: lazy, careless, passive, and embarassing to watch.

Reply #384245 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Did you find the team comparison stats and see their rebounding numbers?

Reply #384246 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The rebounding numbers aren't as worrying as the anecdotal evidence: guys getting good position and still giving up the rebound, or grabbing the rebound outright and then having the ball stripped.

And then you have back-to-back games where the opposing PF goes off for 15 boards.

All effort stuff.

There isn't a single thing they are doing well, but their offense stands out to me as being the most pathetic.

They played OK defense against Perth in that first half and against NZ in stretches. Wollongong was just a complete implosion.

Reply #384248 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754