Jason
Years ago

Steindl heckling

so did anyone hear those guys heckling steindl when it went quiet a few times?

thoughts? good for the sport or bad?

Topic #29669 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

Seemed to work for him!!

Reply #384078 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

they started when he had 15 points and he finished with 19, i was near them and one time i saw steindl say "F**k off" under his breath in the last quarter. pretty funny i thought.

Reply #384080 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Excellent job whoever it was!

Remember BAAAAAARRRRRLOOOOOOOOOWWWW a few years back? I can't imagine the whole crowd getting amongst it like they did last night, we seem to be too nice lately.

Reply #384083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cos the team has been crap, Hard to heckle when your team cant back it up...

Reply #384084 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with heckling as long is it isn't overly personal or really offensive. Mockery is a great form of humour.

Reply #384088 | Report this post

Years ago

We would be peanuts compared to what they would have copped state side. I liked his game! Used to see him playing for St Marys and he is cool when the heat is on.

Reply #384090 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

One game against Perth, Redhage was taking the throw in and there was a bit of quiet when a guy behind me yells and quotes Rodney Dangerfield

"Hey Redhage, last time I saw a head as ugly as yours it had a fish hook in it"

Reply #384094 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

You should hear some of the stuff said at Hawks games. There's a bunch of guys that have season tickets behind the visitors bench.. And my lord, the things they say. 1 or 2 of them have been removed a few times over the years because players and coaches (mainly coaches) ask them to.

That being said, they never step over that line (not that ive heard anyway).

Like Mystro said, there's nothing wrong with it if you don't cross that line.. EG: Family attacks, racist slurs etc.

Reply #384100 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I'm all for it - would do more of it if they didn't blast music the whole game

Reply #384114 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

non basketball: I was at a Big Bash game two years ago and a player from NSW had no name on his shirt. Heckling started almost immediately with the best being:

Who Are you? Who Who Who Who (CSI theme)

I'll admit that I was in a fit of crying and laughing. The best bit was the applause the crowd got from the player in question. He thought it was hilarious

I think when the comments are witty and have thought put into them, there is nothing wrong.

Reply #384143 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I once remember a comment directed at Shane Heal some 9—10 years ago at a Kings v Razorbacks game, went something like "I've just got out of Parklea, Me and the other inmates love coming when you play, some come 3 or 4 times during a game“.

Parklea Prison was a maximum security facility for men at the time. It got an uncomfortable chuckle from the males in that section of the crowd and ewws from the females. Don't know if Shane heard it.

Reply #384242 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Famous or infamous NBA 'star' Brian Scalabrine was heckled and had his name chanted by fans for years.

He ended up with an NBA ring, but didn't take it all too seriously.

It should be seen as a sign of acknowledgement by fans who may see a player as a threat to the other team or one they want to put off his game because he is so good...

Players who react in a positive fashion and add that bit of comedy to the heckling usually come out on top, those who react poorly (depending on what is said of course) may be in for a long night...

Just smile and acknowledge the crowd, they will appreciate it and eventually pick on another player for something else. In the mean time enjoy the spotlight!

Reply #384504 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

On that note, there are many examples of sports stars who turn a hostile crowd around and make them respect and love them in the end...

Shane Warne is one example, I am sure there are a few out there?

Reply #384506 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Ron Artest?

Reply #384508 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Simon Kerle against the Sixers? Mick Hill flipped the tasteless bird while Kerle mimed taking photos of the stunned crowd as the Bullets dispatched the 36ers. Brutal, but unforgettable and at least clever compared to Hill's response.

Reply #384512 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Remember when Shane Heal was a total a$$hole everytime against the Sixers? Then he gained the respect of all of us...

Oh oops.

Reply #384513 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754