Anonymous
Years ago

Pacers cut Luke Nevill

It was always a long shot but the Pacers today released Luke Nevill.

Topic #29684 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Whilst I would have loved to see him hang in there, I thought this was inevitable.

Will be interesting to now see where he lands...

Reply #384281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any clubs in the nbl? Any one left wit the point's cap? Wish he could come back with the cat's! Don't like the points system!

Reply #384289 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

D-leauge is my best bet! Against the magic he played like 6 minutes and had 2 blocks i was really impressed

Reply #384290 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

No NBL club can sign him unless they release a player or two.

Reply #384291 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If there are NBL teams with salary cap space (and there is) but can't fit him in due to the points cap, isn't that as damning as condemnation of the stupid points cap system as there is?

Keep our own Aussie talent out of the league for a reason other than money...?

Reply #384292 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crocs have room. Sydney also have room with Harvey on injury waivers. Not sure anyone has money to spare to entice him though.

Reply #384294 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Having salary cap space and wanting to use it are probably two different things. Teams would also have to cut someone to make room (in most cases). Why is it OK, for example, for a team to pick up Nevill in the absence of a points cap while discarding Dann, or Burston or whoever it might be?

Someone always misses out whether there's a cap or not.

Reply #384295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could u imagine if the afl and nrl had a points system? Nbl is a joke in that way! Im in for a salary cap, should be $1.5 mil or have a marqee spot for reasons like a nevile or a wortho ect. Here the nbl is woried about the music! Just take a look at the nbl how it was when every one was in to it!

Reply #384296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't care about Nevill per se but I really think the NBL needs to do something about making it easier for our first tier talent to come back from overseas.

If Nevill or a Khazzouh wanted to come back and play in the NBL the league needs to either turn a blind eye or do something officially to make it easier.

Say a Patty Mills got cut by the Spurs tomorrow (not gonna happen but anyway) and declared he wanted to play in the NBL rather than go overseas it would be a travesty if no team was able to fit him in.

Reply #384300 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, the AFL has a draft and trade system that is far more restrictive than the NBL ever could be.

And then your suggestion is to increase the salary cap - when teams continue to go broke as is?

The reduction in the salary cap did not cause the public to lose interest in basketball. Rather it was the public losing interest in basketball that meant that the league could not continue to afford the excessive spending that had characterised the sport in the 90's and early 2000's.

Reply #384301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If i were the Kings i would definatly make him an offer to take Harveys spot and then let go who ever when Harvey returns, Id be looking for a big or SF to replace Harvey anyway, cant beleive they seem to be looking at guards

A roster of

Neville/Crosswhite
Lazare/Garlapp
Madgen/Dann
Bruce/White
Henry/Martin

looks better balanced to me, a bit small at SF with Madgen against some teams, but if they get a Gleeson type instead of Neville they will be small in most positions especially off the bench. Dann to me is also a SF and Garlepp a PF so not having them play PF and C would also help imo.

I'd also consider a change to fit him in if possible if i were the Crocs or Tigers, Crocs could cut Abney, Tigers would have to cut someone maybe Greer or Lewis. Tigers could also do with another PG/combo guard to help with the ball handling, not sure who else is out there would it be worth replacing say Lewis with a Daly/Gleeson/S Bruce to help in this regard?

Anyway will be interested to see what he does, would be great for the league if he came back to the NBL.

Reply #384303 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anons, teams would have to cut players to fit Khazzouh or Nevill in. They can already do this. For the teams in need, the cap is not really stopping them. They are self-limiting their spending because otherwise they will be out of business.

Reply #384304 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I must be the only one in favour of the points cap? I'll state my reasons why.

1. It ensures an even and competitive competition.
2. It prevents the richer teams giving under the table payments to numerous players and therefore having stacked teams....again keeps the competition level.
3. As per point 2, this enables even the poorer clubs to be competitive and therefore keep fans interested. This results in these clubs being able to survive and thus the NBL competition to survive.

Imagine if the NBA had a points cap, you would prevent teams buying championships like the Lakers and Heat thereby creating a more even and interesting competition.

I also dont like this marquee player exception everyone keeps going on about. Again, it would just keep the rich teams rich and the poor teams poor. Anyone can sign a marquee player anyway....so long as they abide by the point and salaries cap.

For the NBL to survive I think they need both the points and salary caps...but thats just my 2 bobs worth.

Reply #384308 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ Paul: Townsville has cap room but no money to spend.

@ Tornado: if the NBL policed the under the table payments dilligently it would solve points two and three anyway.

I don't think it creates an even competition. There are two teams in the league that are head and shoulders above everyone else. As the NBA has shown with it's tighter cap in the new CBA, you can legislate all you want, but smart franchises are always going to be better, because they're smarter...

My problem with the points cap is basically: "who is the league to determine the on-court value of a player based on an arbitrary set of criteria?"

Let the market dictate his value. You have all sorts of guys with different ratings that in no way correlate to their basketball value.

It's just pointless. Get rid of it.

Reply #384313 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ Isaac RE: "Why is it OK, for example, for a team to pick up Nevill in the absence of a points cap while discarding Dann, or Burston or whoever it might be?"

The intention of the points cap is not to protect existing roster spots in this manner, it's an attempt to ensure an even spread of talent among the eight teams.

If a team wants to release one player and replace him with a superior player then that's their prerogative. If anything, it should be encouraged.

Reply #384314 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

@Mick: While I agree the NBL should police the salary cap more efficiently and prudently it can sometimes be difficult to prove, especially if they have creative accountants.

It is much easier to police and govern a points cap whilst still keeping the competition relatively even.

Teams can get one up on other teams by securing a better 10 point player (not all 10 point players are created equal) than another or by retaining players. For example, everyone would agree Brett Maher would have been a 10 point player but he was only ever rated a 5 due to loyalty....this is where teams can gain an advantage.

As for the NBA, they dont really have a tighter cap because they still endorse the luxury tax. Therefore the teams that can afford it will just abuse the cap and pay the luxury tax and at the very least be playing deep into the playoffs which means they can recoup that money by means of more games to sell to fans. Therefore, the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor.

Reply #384321 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Some very succesful franchises such as San Antonio and Chicago have never in their history paid the luxury tax.

There are more fanchises with money in the NBL or NBA than there are franchises who are smart.

More rules, if anything, makes a competiton less even because basketball management intelligence is a rarer commodity than cold hard cash. More rules means more distance between the dumb and the well-run.

The smart stay smart, the dumb keep signing guys like Drew Gooden to 7 figure deals...

Reply #384324 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Tornado, I strongly support the points cap when it is well governed like it is now, as opposed to its first few years where there were too many loopholes.

Anything that helps create parity and helps discourage big spending should be encouraged in the current basketball and economic climate.

Reply #384335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nevill. wortho. bose khazzouh. barlow ingles newley nielsen maric andersen baynes ogilvy jawai markovic kickert . thats a shit load of talent overseas not including bogut and mills. doubt we will ever see delly, motum, greenwood exum simmons etc in the nbl. and thon maker. doesnt leave much for nbl with apologies to gibbo, johnson, dmartin, wagstaff.

Reply #384337 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

@Mick...there is always going to be exceptions to the rules and those teams you are referring to had the best players of that era on their teams and both the franchise and player were rewarded for their loyalty (as both were drafted by those same teams)....unlike Lebron, Cleveland and Miami for example.

@paul....couldnt agree with you more!

@anon #384337...the NBL cant sustain the salaries some of these players are getting overseas. You would end up with more teams going bust! Wortho for example is playing overseas because he is sick of the teams he is on going belly up....

Reply #384340 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

For too many reasons to note, using Nevill's situation as a argument against the player point system is an incredibly poor argument, regardless of whether or not the PPS is beneficial to the NBL.

Comparing the NBL's system to the AFL or NRL's is just plain moronic. Hey, why not introduce a $58mil salary cap because the NBA has one... derps

Reply #384350 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The intention of the points cap is not to protect existing roster spots in this manner, it's an attempt to ensure an even spread of talent among the eight teams.
The argument was made that Nevill was being deprived of a job in the NBL and that our talent should play here. My argument is that all that suggests is that his inclusion comes at the expense of someone else. e.g., keeps other talent out of the league.

The anon listing players abroad is just nonsensical. Points cap has nothing to do with those. Nor with college players whose values are pegged and would seriously advantage someone like Dellavedova who would be a three (presumably - don't know if Olympics changes that?) when he should be a 8-10.

Salary and aspirations are part of what keep guys like Khazzouh, Bose, etc going overseas. They were in the league last year and they could've easily stayed.

There isn't enough money here to drive up talent levels and bring every player home. Buy season tickets if you can, NBL.TV as well, sponsor if you're in a position to, spread the word, hate less, etc.

Reply #384352 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

yeah something needs to be done to keep at least some of our best players here.
it can be as simple as bringing in a marquee player rule.
its working for the a-league and now there worlds ahead of us.
the NBL is becoming more painful to watcheven the imports are getting worse

Reply #384374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hes a dud.

Why he got chosen in the 1st place amazes me.

NEVILL = SHIT.

Reply #384557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you sir are a fool

Reply #384705 | Report this post

Bingi  
Years ago

give me a go !

Reply #384937 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754