Anonymous
Years ago

State Champs - Where's the Hype?

With the Junior State Champs starting tonight across Adelaide I must say I'm disappointed with the lack of hype over this weekend.

There have been many thread most of which have been complaints about the delay in a program; but yet none of the hype of last year.

C'mon people get your act together!!

Who's going to win what? What are the crunch games people should go see? Who are the players to keep an eye on?

Topic #2969 | Report this topic

Frank'n'Beans  
Years ago

U/20 Men State Comp is going to be very interesting this year, very even field in both draws. I think Woodville and the Tigers will go thru from Pool A, Centrals and Norwood will be tough but need to steal a game off one of the above to have any chance of sneaking in.

*Game of Pool A* Woodville v Southern on Sunday at 11.30, this will be the game that determines 1st and 2nd position in the Pool.

Pool B is an Absolute lottery, West - South - North all can get the job done and the Eagles are no slouches either... top two.... who knows.????

*Game of Pool B* Any time one of the above match up on each other.

*Grand Final*
Southern v North

Reply #33791 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Under 20s Pool A .. Watch out for centrals and Norwood ... Centrals Is my pick as a ruffy ...Norwood are playing good ball
and will make it easly
Centrals need to play better team ball to make the finals
Cant see Eastern Doing much with a make up team for the comp...

Woodville and southern also will be right up there very close group ...

Group B is even closer my pick for the final two is North and Eagles
with south a close thrid with Sturt a long way back

My Pick to be State Champs... North

Reply #33803 | Report this post

Frank'n'Beans  
Years ago

Truth...

Norwood will make it easy my ass....

They may get the nod over Woodville with Reeves not suiting but with three games on Saturday and the last against Southern, i cant see them topping their group.

Centrals dont have the depth to perform consistently over 4 games.. they wont be a contender.

Pool B - toss a coin, a loss in that group to the wrong team is going to put someone in the hurt bag.

Reply #33806 | Report this post

big red(red nut)  
Years ago

both groups are gona b hard, as both groups have at least tree teams which most people think of as always winning teams. Woodville and norwood to get thru for group a, with centrals bringing up for third.
Group b, im gona say north and eagles, i agree, with sturt far behind, n southern coming in for third.
final, norwood and north,
winners=norwood

Reply #33807 | Report this post

Frank'n'Beans  
Years ago

Big red , your a goose.

Southern are in Pool A and wont finish behind Centrals or Woodville.

Reply #33808 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Frank N Beans - having Played all the teams in group A Norwood is playing the best Basketball of them ALL...So we will just wait and see...

Southern arnt exactly setting the world on fire in under 20s at the moment... Woodville with out Reeves ... Wont have a chance

Reply #33809 | Report this post

Frank'n'Beans  
Years ago

Fair call, from what ive seen Southern have been blooding some new players to help releive the workload of Boal and Lalic.

Big diffrence playing with 8 or 9 guys compared to 6.

Look for a lift, especially if their coach decides to get stuck into them instaed of sitting back all smug.

Reply #33810 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Well Frank N beans u seem to be quick to judge eveyone else .. but who is ur pick to win states

Reply #33811 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

It is about time someone starting making comments about State Champs. Really haven't heard much hype about the champs, in particular the U/21 women.

Am I missing something? Is nobody excitied?

Reply #33813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern to win U/20's Lalic to crush them all

Reply #33815 | Report this post

Frank'n'Beans  
Years ago

1st Semi - Southern (1) v Eagles (2) Winner Southern by 6

2nd Semi - North (1) v Norwood (2) Winner Hmmmmmm..... North by less than 5.

Grand Final - Southern v North - Winner Undecided in 2OT.

Reply #33816 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

How can we be excited when the first round of the draw only came out this week (Tuesday), and the remainder on Wednesday. Not enough time to get psyched up for it.

Reply #33817 | Report this post

where have you been - were pumped

win or leave

Reply #33825 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

u-20 Boys. Eastern with a make-up team - This make-up team includes Brad Bungey and Mike Wright, both ABL players. May cause a few upsets!

Reply #33846 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

Where are the fixtures for the semi finals?

Reply #33850 | Report this post

RJ  
Years ago

Yeah don't think they thought about that.

I'll post them in a sec.

Reply #33853 | Report this post

Without doubt, this is THE most even competition in the 2005 fixture. Any of the top six teams can realistically contest the championship.

GROUP A
I actually think Group A is tighter than Group B...
Woodville: Will struggle without Reeves and with Ryan Willis' hair.
Norwood: Playing some good ball and my dark horse for the title.
Southern: As always, will be a major contender when it comes to State Champs. I think you will find that Southern isn't doing too well because Josh "4 of 18" Wood hasn't been playing during the winter season and the team only plays with six regulars each week.
Eastern: Simply won't contest. Bungey to have the 'disgruntled retard' look on his face the entire weekend.
Centrals: Cellar Dwellers. Watch for Chris Clausen (in case you don't know what he looks like, he's the one taking 95% of his team's shots - and making 13%).

Game to Watch - Woodville vs. Southern
Perhaps the best two teams in the competition with a full roster but without Reeves, Lalic will dominate. Watch for the trademark Woodville scrap and Tiger resilience.

Gamebreaker - Norwood vs. Woodville
Probably decide which of the two teams advances to the BASA Final Four.
Key Matchups: Mad hops duo of Max and Lampshire against Pascoe and the Woodivlle big men.

My pick: Southern (1) and Norwood (2).

GROUP B
Based on recent form, I have to say West and North to scrape through Group B. West have won their last five including wins over North and South, and we all know what North Adelaide is capable of at state champs.
That being said, Forestville is a very solid team despite the loss of Hoban. Their fate depends on how many shots Gange can make down the stretch, as all groups matches will go down to the wire. Watch for Sean Tanner's hair to actually catch fire and knock 30 on any team.
Sturt will not win a game. Enough said.
South Adelaide: Maintained good form throughout summer and winter campaigns. Probably the best rebounding team but I don't think that can advance through the group stage due to lack of numbers... Every time I have seen them play its been with the same six players. Will they field more than six this weekend? Someone fill me in....
Also have the most underrated player in the competition in Doug Hudson. The man can play!

Game to watch - Have to say West and North. Matchups in this one are awesome.
Kies vs. Spud
Rowe vs. Craddock
Burdon vs. Zacharjak

Gamebreaker - Forestville and West Saturday night 8.15 @ Port Adelaide.
Both teams will have just finished a game an hour before tip-off at Pasadena and Marion respectively (very poor scheduling by BASA) It will be a real test of fitness and mental toughness to see who gets over the line. Not exactly an exceptional game to watch but will definitely shape the playoff mould.

Championship game and eventual winner, simply too hard to pick.

All Star Five
Kies
Gange
Rowe
Lampshire
Lalic

Reply #33854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doug Hudson has been out of under 20's for 2 years.

Reply #33859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Norwood: Playing some good ball and my dark horse for the title. "

You are kidding right? They have a good team but are not performing.

Reply #33860 | Report this post

Straight Fringe  
Years ago

I hear that eastern have a former player back from college ball in the US for the weekend.
It will be interesting to see how they go now that they have a decent point and big man.

Reply #33862 | Report this post

$$$$  
Years ago

Can eastern run a guy fresh back from colledge? Is there any eligibilty process?

Does this mean North could play Kersten and Southern Ingles?

Reply #33863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt are the team that can upset their whole pool. any team they may beat would b automatically out of finals haha. so what do we think will be the biggest point margin for sturt we think???

Reply #33873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt wont win a game

Reply #33875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stranger things have happened.
its state champs, dont write anyone off.

Reply #33876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is the eastern player coming back from college?

Reply #33880 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Surley u must of played some games during the season to qualify for states ... Rather then Just " come back from college " to play ...

Dose anyone know the offical Rules ???

Reply #33887 | Report this post

exec  
Years ago

If they are a member of the Club concerned they are eligible for State Champs, unless they have been cleared to another Club. A player at College in the US or at the AIS is still a member of his original club. No qualification is required.

Reply #33891 | Report this post

Has anyone actually seen a Woodville v Southern match? 'Lalic will dominate rah rah rah'. He hasn't dominated a game between the two teams in the 4 times they've met. And Woodville haven't lost to them. And Lampshire does surprisingly little against Woodville also, it's mainly that number 50 (whatever his name is) that does the damage! And to those who think North will win it, you might want to check last weeks results when Woodville, without star big man Reeves beat them by 17 points!

Reply #33898 | Report this post

bootleg  
Years ago

What the hell? Southern to go through, I don't think so I've seen them play against centrals the foul count was 27 to 6 in there favour and they only one by 3 they have no chance on a natural court (were they don't get every call) vs. a better quality opposition like Norwood or Woodville. My pick to go through in group A will be Norwood and centrals who are showing good form but can't find away to win. In group B it would have to be the inform West and of course North. It would have to be West and North in the final. North to win it all.

Reply #33901 | Report this post

keyway  
Years ago

lets just say that the tigers camp has good reason to be confident....jingle all the way to the title baby!!

Reply #33918 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

Sturt to win the ship!

With big names such as bean pole, chicken and fluffy head they cant lose!

Reply #33922 | Report this post

rick james  
Years ago

Norwood just got pumped by woodvile at the dome... 20 - 30 points. The worst game Norwood has played as a team ever (at least when i've seen them play) and it didn't help that woodville was at the top of their game either. Norwood didn't even hav a sniff from the get go. Can Norwood bring it back... most probably but who knows... basketball is a funny game!

Easterns put-together team toppled southern on friday... the aba players making sure the mavs r not a run over side!

Not sure other results.

Reply #33972 | Report this post

Years ago

In 20's Norwood just came back from their terrible loss to woodville to beat mavs by 40. With Max P hitting 7 threes and 30 points if i remember correctly, lost count. Much better performance by the flames. Will be a stella battle tonight with norwood and southern going at it for finals position. Who will provail?!?!

Reply #33986 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Ummm hate to break it to you all but Zane is playing this weekend.

Reply #33990 | Report this post

rick james  
Years ago

looks like southern prevailed over norwood. by 15 i think. However because southern lost to the mavs by 1 point and norwood beat the mavs by 40 norwood still have a chance of making the finals... or do they?

How does it work when 2 teams draw for crossover finals positions... does it go head 2 head or is it a points spread between the two teams like easter?

Reply #34009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But norwood cant play, are poorly leaded and the ysuck why should the make it??? tell me they have not!

Reply #34013 | Report this post

I think Woodville and Southern made it, but I'm not sure. Eastern, Woodville and Southern all finished on 3 wins, Woodville beat Eastern by about 50, Southern beat Woodville by 9 and Eastern beat Southern by 1. So it looks like Woodville will finish top. And I believe North and West made it through from group B, but I'm not sure.

Reply #34032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pool A

1. Southern
2. Woodville

Pool B

1. North
2. West

Southern v west
North v Woodville

Reply #34039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so now that its all over, what about those predictions!!!

Reply #35321 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754