sitiveni
Years ago

Brisbane Bullets Bid Team

Hey guys, exciting times up here in brissie land. i believe the Brisbane Bullets Qld bid team are on a winner this time around, compared to other consortiums and bids etc. I have been busy this past week, speaking to alot of Key people and i believe its going to happen this time around. It may not be known as the bullets, but im very confident we have the right people involved to make this work. Only have 2 months i think to have the licence application completed, so alot of work is still to be done from now until then.

Here is to a Brisbane team back in the 2013-2014 NBL Competition.

Topic #29692 | Report this topic

Years ago

Hooah !

Reply #384418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sitiveni please sponsor them with your money but keep the Bullets name. Thanks.

Reply #384420 | Report this post

Jr_Sr  
Years ago

Whats the reason the "Bullets" name may not be used? Is it legal, does someone own that name?

If not you surely must use the name Bullets, what other possible options cold there be? Their is no argument apart from legal that could convince me that naming the team the Bullets is a bad idea.

Its just gotta be the Brisbane Bullets

Reply #384421 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, has to be Bullets.

Reply #384422 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

I know what your saying. the history, the brand of the bullets and i can tell you that research will go into this, but there are some issues that is due to the (lefty) political correct do gooder types and that the word Bullets is sending the wrong message to kids. Its promoting gun violence etc etc etc. I know its BS and im not saying its not going to be called the Bullets. Heck what about the Essendon Bombers, Melbourne Demons (ooohhhh Satan). I will be behind the Bullets name. mention the name Brisbane Bullets and people know your talking about basketball.

Reply #384424 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

I've been a passionate Bullets supporter since Rucker was a rookie. If the name is changed, it may be a catalyst to change allegiances to my adopted home of Eastern Melbourne if a team eventuates here.

Reply #384427 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Is Irene Pollin (the widow of Abe, a fmr owner of Washington Wizards, who changed the team name from Bullets) involved? ;-)

Brisbane Stallions anyone?

Hope to see a Brissy team back in the comp regardless of its name

Reply #384428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be great to get a team back and very soon. The NBL virtually does not exist if live in Brisbane. I agree the team needs to be called the Bullets. The Bullets have one of the best history's in the NBL and that needs to be recognised and Leroy Loggins number 30 needs to be hung from the rafters again!

Reply #384434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If not bullets it will fail again. Don't waste ya penny's...

Reply #384437 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Who actually owns the Bullets name these days though?

Reply #384439 | Report this post

spidergoat  
Years ago

Dont like the bullets as a logo theme. Would rather they started a fresh.

Reply #384442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

depsite the history of the name surely the important issue here is get a brisbane side back in the competition?

Reply #384444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just hope the new group know what they are doing and have some very good ideas. The last few years for the Bullets was terrible. Playing at the horrible Convention centre, averaging 3,000 people per game with no atmosphere. It really needs to be done properly with smart, experienced business people that are prepared to spend big dollars on marketing and have high aims.

Reply #384447 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Go for a fresh start. Unlike the Kings who were never going to work unless they remained the Kings, the Brisbane team might benefit from a fresh start. They've been out for 5 years now - enough time to be completely forgotten about in Brisbane (apparently).

Also the last decade of Bullets basketball was absolutely terrible. Very low crowds, even in the 07 championship, whilst playing in a small venue with dead fans who looked like they were getting very tired of their team.

The Bullets history is significant only in the late 80s to mid 90s. They haven't been relevant for 15 years now. Start new. Maybe a 'rise from the dead' type name like Brisbane Phoenix or something?

Besides, any Brisbane fan that wants nothing to do with a team not called the Bullets is not a fan of basketball. The best part of the Bullets history is long gone. If you want basketball back in Brisbane then support it no matter what the name is.

Reply #384461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ Totally agree

Reply #384463 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Nothing wrong with Bullets and the history that comes with it. Bullets>Wizards

Reply #384464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new group should be approaching as many local basketball associations as possible and trying to get contact details from people for season tickets

Reply #384467 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Alot of the fans who supported the Washington Bullets, hate the fact they changed their name to the Wizards.

Fans hated the name change so much that the new ownership of the Wizards, changed the jersey, logo and colors to look like what they were under the bullets. There was serious talk of the Wizards ownership changing the name back, but they decided against it.

Also a dud name can be terrible marketing curse for a sports team. Just ask Charlotte where Rob Johnson thought it would be great to name the team after himself with calling the team the Charlotte Bobcats. Better to stick with the name that has recognition.

The bullets might not be known by the younger fans. But the older fans who followed the team when they were kids, they will still remember it. And they are fans you want, who have grown up and had kids themselves who they are likely to take to the game.

As for suggestion that the name bullets encourages violence. This is political correctness gone mad as there is no evidence this sends the wrong message to kids having a name like this. The New and old bullets logos, had nothing on it that resemble bullets.

Either bring the bullets name back or the team will be a certain commercial disaster.

Reply #384469 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

They shouldn't be called the Bullets. Bullets are an adult sex toy and a basketball team should not be associating with that type of thing as it's a family game as it may encourage the kids to experiment with sex too early.

Reply #384475 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Wouldn't it be dangerous to use bullets as sex toys?

Reply #384482 | Report this post

Gardenia  
Years ago

The Bullets are synonymous with basketball as a sport in this country. They have an exceedingly rich heritage and are one of the founding clubs.

Brand awareness is so incredibly important in the current market. Throwing the Bullets brand to one side would be a stupendous error in judgement. Really the concept boggles the mind.

If the people behind this bid lack the business / pro-sports smarts to be able to comprehend such a fundamental principle, then I sincerely fear the worst.

Having said that I will support the team in whatever capacity they re-enter the comp (been a fan since Sengstock visited my school in '86).

They need to be based centrally though. I for one really enjoyed the "Library" as a venue, even if the crowd were a snorefest.

Reply #384483 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

Bullets are also a chocolate covered lolly. We shouldnt be encouraging our kids to eat inapropriately. Shame!!!!

Reply #384495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the major issue i can see -

Where do they play?

convention cent is way too expensive to be viable

chandler sports and boondal too far away

can't think of any other place to play that holds 2-3k of people

Reply #384497 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

All bullets should cost $5000.

Reply #384500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team neds to be called Bullets.

Reply #384505 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I would love to see them back in the comp.

BUT, and it is a big BUT..

The NBL (and even the club) need to look at everything, regardless of how minor it is, before this thing gets serious approval.

The aim has to be for the long term viability of the club.

They need to go over the tiniest details..and do a rigorous and honest investigation of everything.

The R and D has to be administered with the 'worst case possible' type of scenario..No point overexaggerating expected profits etc.

Reply #384510 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I am from Brisbane and I hope the team is called the Brisbane Bullets but if it isn't I don't think I should have to start fresh. I think the old Bullets championships that were won should be counted as the new teams also. And remember what Larry Sengstock said, he wants the team to be called the Bullets! Dedicate this new team FOR LARRY!

Reply #384520 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Anonymous, there are several locations that are being looked at and a few things will determine that. i think we will have a better idea where the brisbane team will be playing by next month. Yes Chandler is on the cards, the convention centre, boondall, tennis centre which has a 5,500 seat capacity and there are a couple of other locations a little outside the box.

Reply #384538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sitiveni,
Are they confident they can generate alot of support this time. Do they have some strict strategic measures in place? Surely if they can only attract crowds of around 3,000, the venture will not survive again.

Reply #384541 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Research is already underway and we have media outlets helping with this. research on venue, brand name, membership etc etc. there are some issues we face as you have mentioned before. ideally boondall is a great venue for basketball however it is located in a terrible area for us. the other venues have limited capacity. I find the tennis centre interesting as public transport is good there, seating is good with 5,500 capacity, the facilities are new however its not a fully enclosed arena. within weeks we will have more information or certainty with alot of these issues. looks like some good corporate support is there and i have some business associates who are also keen to get involved since their kids play basketball at Jnr level.

Reply #384542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on you sitiveni!

Reply #384544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great stuff mate. Please make it work and spread the word. Was Chuck Harmison helpful?

Reply #384545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to see the Brisbane group have some discussions with Perth Wildcats CEO Nick Marvin and Melbourne Tigers owner Michael Slepoy. Both very good business people, experienced in the basketball department and are wizards at marketing. Would be good for the new bid team to bounce some ideas off these two gentlemen.

Reply #384547 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Yeh i spoke to Chuck and he passed my details on and contact was made. we are in contact on a daily basis now. Michael the CEO has been very successful and i believe he is the right man. he is talking to alot of people and i think BA have been supportive in opening up communications. Ive been critical of BA before but from what im seeing atm they have been excellent. BA, BQ and a private equity firm are all part of the Bid team, they are good people. i will be passing on the suggestions from people in here. I think we all want this to work. be good to get this team in and a melbourne team and bring some of out top europe based aussie's back.

Reply #384550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will NEVER happen.

Always we go thru this every year.

Reply #384555 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

From what Ive heard the approach in Brisbane has been much more professional under KK and is helping facilitate things a lot better, whereas previously it was almost as if it was fend for yourself. If what you say is true Sitiveni that is good to hear.

Reply #384568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some great suggestions by fans on how to improve the NBL here: http://www.ozhoopsboards.com/showthread.php?t=5841

Reply #384581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to hear paul!

Reply #384630 | Report this post

Gardenia  
Years ago

Pat Rafter Arena would be ideal if it was a fully enclosed venue. Why on earth they didn't go down that route when planning the thing is beyond me.

Fans are fickle creatures at the best of times. I wonder how happy they'd be to endure Qld's 28 degree summer evenings whilst saturated in sweat from the ridiculous humidity.

It's such a shame the Convention Center doesn't have a slightly larger capacity. Being smack-bang in the heart of the entertainment precinct made it a hell of a way to start an evening out. I always felt the Bullets missed an opportunity by not marketing it as such.

High res photo of Pat Rafter Arena:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Tennyson_Tennis_Centre%27s_Pat_Rafter_Arena.jpg

Reply #384669 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Yes, it would be great if the Bullets played at Pat Rafter Arena but they would have to enclose it more.

Reply #384672 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

WOW Living in Brisbane and first I hear about the bid!!! I hear more about Adelaide and other teams, than Brisbane trying to promote a new team. I'll have to ask the DR, but I don't think he has heard anything either. Better speak louder!!! We can't hear you.

Reply #384750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not set up a facebook page "Support the bid for a Brisbane NBL team". See what sort of response you get. At least it gets people talking about it

Reply #384788 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Sitiveni, there is nothing wrong with Boondall. It has a train station and people can park their cars anywhere along the other stations that are closer to their home. Alternatively, there is plenty of parking on the premises itself.

As for the Bullets as a name, there is nothing wrong with that either. I have never associated the Brisbane Bullets with guns. Besides, Bullets does not suggest bullets in a gun here, it uses the speed meaning of the word to describe the team, as in bullet train. The word bullet is used a lot to mean speed. As an Adelaide resident, I attended several Bullets' games and they always drew a good crowd of fierce supporters. Brisbane needs the Bullets, both as a team name and a return of supporters.

Reply #384830 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well EC, I think youve solved their issues. They are called the Bullets, play at Boondall, their logo is a bullet train, they are sponsored by City Rail and as part of that everyone with a ticket gets free rail travel to the game!

I think they need to look at the NZ and Melbourne model and split games between Chandler and Boondall.

I think you could really make the Boondall games an afternoon event with jumping castles, clinics and other activities before the game so that it is a family day out.

Reply #384845 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

The team must be called the Bullets....it will be challenging enough to re-establish itself in the market as it is, without making it even harder without instant brand recognition. Hopefully the new backers won't be so stupid. Bringing the Bullets name back will automatically embrace the loyal fans who have been waiting patiently for the teams return.

I have been supporting the Bullets since 1985 when they played at Chandler and if they bring a new name they will stay dead to me. I know numerous people who feel the same way, and these types of fans can not afford to be ignored. Any person who wants a "fresh start" or a new name have no idea what it means to be a loyal supporter and are not true fans. They won't stay loyal because the don't even know what they are supporting. They will jump on the bandwagon initially because it is new then go somewhere else.

Look no further than the Sydney Spirit fiasco before they came back as the Kings. Different circumstances but a glimpse at the absolute disaster of moving away from what people know and love.

If it's not the Bullets don't even bother....

Reply #385670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:20 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754