Chuck Norris
Years ago

Bring back Phil Smyth

Marty we love you but you have know idea how to coach a stacked team. BRING BACK PHIL SMYTH

Seriously we have a well stocked team & we are still, we'll I can't say it

Topic #29780 | Report this topic

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

Sooooooo angry

Reply #384959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure if Smyth is the answer, but pretty sure at this point 2 and a bit seasons in, Clarke and his assistant aren't.

Reply #384969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clarke is the don farrell of the NBL - time we banished all the dullards from positions of influence once and forever.

Reply #384978 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

Sorry but I believe Phil Smyth is the answer to this team. Look back at the team when we did the double how deep the team was, it's a little like that now but the one problem is is the team isn't puting it together or it's Marty's fault.

But mark my words if we (the Sixers) dont make the finals Marty is GONE !!
But will that be to late then, how bout a quick change now

We are a joke, we have possibly the best team in the NBL & we still put ug crap like today

Reply #384983 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

A winning team will fill the arena. A few more losses like that may force a coaching change. He's had his chances & this squad should finish top 2.

Trev Gleeson?

He would kick ass with this team & is available...

Reply #384989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not a huge call to say he wont be around after not making the playoffs again haha

This is getting all a bit silly now though, the club has finally paid the $ to bring in a great balanced roster. And we have a headless chook running things. Proof is in the Win Loss column season after season.... This team should be 4 and zip, no question.

Reply #384991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We are at worst 3rd this season, Smyth would love that squad and EVERY PLAYER would improve under him. Just do it its been too long, we made him coach with a garbage team at the end and he still did amazing for what he had.

Reply #384994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

definitely think robbie cadee would thrive under a hands off coach like smyth..

Reply #384995 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

The people have spoken time for change before its too late. All us Si era fans are getting really frustrated.

Does Marty or any old Sixers read these threads you think ?? Would be interesting if he does

Reply #385015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Robbie wouldn't but Jason might.

Reply #385016 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I hope Marty gets extended for another 3 years.

I've seen the 3 year plan now I want to see the six year strategy.

Reply #385021 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

So Marcus you goose you want another 3 years of heart ache, good choice you clown. I am getting so frustrated how calm you Sixers supporters are. Things must change, Marty must go, & if things dond change I see a lot of supporters handing in there season tickets

Reply #385028 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

2-2 isn't the end if the world. Sixers lost to NZ on the road and the still undefeated Hawks - who will challenge for the top 4 this season. The Sixers roster is still gelling. A slow start is not unexpected especially from good teams. Don't worry, it's way too early to be stressing out just yet especially with so many new players in your roster.

Reply #385037 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I have a bot that detects any 36ers home loss and automatically starts a "Bring back Phil Smyth" thread.

Reply #385044 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

Damm right Isaac, & don't you forget it

Reply #385050 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Chuck norris u r blind to sarcasm...

Reply #385052 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

The story has been the same with both losses - big final quarter fade-outs. And it's not like it's a new problem, we've seen too many end-of-game collapses over the past few seasons, even our occasional wins have often been a stumble over the line. With an almost complete roster overhaul since Clarke took over, his staff has been the only constant. I don't know if Phil is the answer, but Marty certainly isn't.

Reply #385058 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I'd also like to see Phil back. Think the time away was what he needed

Reply #385176 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SMYTH WE NEED YOU , PLEASE RETURN AND OWNERS JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............................................. .................................................. ................NIKE

Reply #385191 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Must be the standard Adelaide response when our teams have a loss.. bring back Malcolm Blight, bring back Smyth,bring back Kosmina (how's that going BTW)

He's been out of the game way too long, was rubbish when he coached Australia, plus he had a much better, proven roster than what Clarke has. Anyone with a half decent bball IQ will tell you Smyth was successfull as a coach because of Brett Maher, nothing else!

Patience people, most coaches are given 3 years to turn around a program, if he falls short this year, he's gone. Would love for Chuck to explain what the benefits are of bringing in Smyth at this point?

Reply #385260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lloyd thats some of the most rediculous stuff ive read for a while. Maher, who is my hero for what it matters, was one of many reasons the 6ers were successful. KB's finals MVP was something, Mee's all around amazing and underated game was another, and lets not forget the nights Farley single handedly destroyed teams with his trigger hand. Smyth has coached 3 championship teams, the teams were stacked for sure, but thats never a guarantee for a ring let alone 3.

Smyth would let these boys just play and enjoy the game again, the current coaching is so robotic and the style the 6ers are playing is erratic and at times guys look bloody nervous.

Reply #385286 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

My point exactly. Current Adelaide team does not have anyone of the Maher, Mee and Brooks ilk!

To say the current roster would thrive under a Smyth 'Philosophy' is ridiculous!

Smyth was extremely fortunate to have Maher during his tenure as coach.

Reply #385331 | Report this post

Bruno Moretti  
Years ago

Its looking interesting but i have no idea about it so i can't say more about it.

Reply #385448 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This roster is very talented but it has a lot of youth and Smyth's system seems to work best with an experienced group.

I dont think Adelaide's position at this point is unexpected. The two teams they have lost to are experienced, know each other well and play excellent defence which clamped down on a new group.

If the same thing happens in the return bouts then it is time to worry.

Reply #385454 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

I tend to agree Lloyd. Smyth had an all time NBL great plus another Olympian on the squad plus 2 imports with genuine NBA experience. By genuine i mean more than a 10 day contract or 2.
Mee could be the best defender ever to play in the NBL and lets not forget a guy called Mark Davis coming off the bench. Add also the most decorated NBL GF er in David Stiff and there is a legit core of 6- 7 HOF calibres on the squad.

The 2001 championship was won on the back of luck and getting hot at the right time. We went to 3 games for that title and had i think hit 14/16 3's in the first half. That team also went 17-13 in the regular season so were hardly dominant.

Having said that this squad is 4 games in has beaten the 2 penciled in W's and lost the 2 that would have been 50/50's at seasons start. Next 2 games will say a lot about the squad and the coaches.

Reply #385456 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Cometh the moment, cometh the man.

Phil's time is over. Bringing back Phil would be like hooking up again with the girlfriend you had when you were 16 when you turned 50. There's no way the experience is the same and all those happy memories of when you were 16 sour like a Farmer's Union Iced Coffee left out in the midday sun in the car park of despair.

Rather than blot the record, let Phil continue to excel at what he is doing now.

Reply #385458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The General

Reply #386249 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:39 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754