Anonymous
Years ago

Shane Heal the coach?

Just wondering what people's opinions are of Shane as a coach.He seems to be getting more out of this years less talented Kings squad than what was achieved last year. He had a solid first year at the dragons as player coach before everything went wrong his second season there.

Topic #29786 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

seems to be doing well to me,

players seem to be playing hard, his imports have been pretty solid and they just won 2 road games without Harvey, which is a great effort imo, especially when his roster isnt exactly stacked.

Reply #385081 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Reminds me of Shane warne a little. Arrogance (good thing) , belief and the ability to make teams have an us against the world mentality.

Type of coach IMO that is good for a struggler but maybe not a life long coach due to his Argo in your face style which would wear quickly with adults.

As for the drinking water there ....

Reply #385084 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Good point , I understand that the import's contracts state that they must be provided with fresh un-opened commercially-sealed spring-sourced and fully transparent water bottles at each time-out and training break.

Reply #385089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear he's certainly training the team harder that they ever did under Moose who Ihad a very slack training regime.

Reply #385090 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

He had a great weekend, 2 road wins, although the opposition wasn't great.

Reply #385113 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I like what he's done with the team off the court and with losing his three top players from previous season, he's had to change how things might otherwise have worked if one or two of them had stayed.

He really turned last seasons team around with regards to defence and it's great to see that's been a focus again this season...

I'm no X's and O's person by any means, but I really like his demeanour and what he has to say during the timeouts and the players obviously are responding well to him, which is a key thing...

Reply #385147 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

wow moose couldn't coach his way out of a toliet, now as for Shane he is getting his players to work but can he entice the better players to come back.
Now he has brought in Knight into the fold with the kings coaching staff, but really when at the break down this kings won't have the smarts to excute with out top liners.
there got 3 boarder line players that should be cut, with those points they might bring in a college kid and a australian playing overseas.
bad mis management
but shane can coach a lower based team in the short term but not to a championship and not the kings

Reply #385167 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think that's the plan, they just didnt feel those quality players were available this year.

Reply #385173 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

jason: are you meaning that these players were available this season? If so, I would have to disagree... Not much college talent graduating, I think Cairns made out very well with what was available... Shane I think mentioned very early on that he has a 203 year plan with some kids graduating over the next couple of years that he no doubt has his eye on, so it will be interesting to see how that pans out, as you say, will be interesting to see if he can lure talent here the way past coaches have been able to... Maybe he should step into the Boomers coaching role? That worked for us in the past ;)

I think the players that might not have made the cut in a perfect world this season, were already signed for this season and unfortunately, with limited minutes already this season, might not be the first ones re-signed, if at all, this coming off-season... I still say rushing to sign some players when there might not have been competing interest, was a mistake... The Kevin Smith thing could have really worked out, but he was already nearly mid-30's and obviously not up to it, but getting a player in at 7pts in that position was always going to be tough, especially when the best candidate in Bose was off overseas... I still challenge anyone to find a quality starting SF that could have played this season... Every time I see Hammer tweet Ingles, I'm like "PLEASE come back, Joe!" lol...

Reply #385219 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Is Dan Joyce playing next round or what?

Reply #385257 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

The next Boomers coach? :P

Reply #385271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

needs to get crosswhite more touches..

Reply #385292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he is coaching very well with the team he put together. The players themselves aren't that bigger standouts but as a team they complement each other well. Its giving rising players like Garlepp a bigger chance to prove themselves. Garlepp played well for the blaze and was gaining minutes through the year. Heal is doing far better then i expected and seems to really be building a plan for the coming years. but i can see where the team may get tired of his attitude. But their professionals. we all have a shit boss.

Reply #385307 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon^ - why? Because he makes them work their butts off, doesnt take any rubbish, and calls guys out when they're not doing their jobs? Sounds like the way a coach should operate.

Reply #385324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly, with Heals playing experience under many different top coaches in NBL/Europe/NBA/Boomers, and being the point guard i always thought given a good opportunity and few years to learn on the job a bit that he could make a really good coach.

He also isnt overly tall or athletic, so didnt just get by on natural athleticism, he would have had to work his but off to develop his offensive skills and get the best out of himself. Imo this holds him in better coaching stead than say Anstey whos 7foot frame would have been a massive advantage, would Anstey got to the top level if he was Heals size?? Im not so sure.

His confidence/arrogance may rub some people up the wrong way, but its also an asset for him atm imo, as he has absolute self beleif in his game plan and his players to execute it, and makes the players work hard and get it right and tells them honestly how it is.

He also has guts, starting Garlepp over Lazare isnt a move many coaches would make, but it hasnt been a bad one so far, when the kings lost a game he thought they should have won he promised changes, and made one, which means the players have to earn every minute, and imports dont get to just cruise because they only have a young backup ie Garlepp type.

So far i have been impressed with the Kings, for me there roster with Harvey playing was a bottom 3 squad, and would have never expected them 2 win the 'sunshine swing'. So credit where credit due, well done Hammer and the kings players who are playing out of there skin, especially guys like Madgen and Henry.

(Damm Madgen would be good to have in a 36ers uniform!)

Reply #385329 | Report this post

juno18  
Years ago

Have heard from NBL players that he is a coach who can still remember being a player and make the right decisions and strong demands accordingly. Amazing how quickly ex-players forget that, when they move to coaching or administration or even media.
Was Goorjian also like that?

Reply #385348 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:53 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754