Moses Guthrie
Years ago

36er recruit in the making?

STAR Horsham basketball export Shane McDonald will use South East Australian Basketball League side Albury-Wodonga Bandits as a potential stepping stone to the National League.

McDonald will make his first appearance for the Bandits against Frankston on Saturday following his arrival back in Australia after a stint in American college basketball.

The star point guard made a flying visit to Horsham at the weekend to visit family and friends where he confirmed plans to pursue his career in Australia.

The integral member of Horsham Hornets' history-making double hat-trick of premierships said he was eyeing a spot on Adelaide 36ers' roster with the help of Hornets coach Owen Hughan.

"I will play with Albury until the end of the season in July and then hopefully have a try out with the 36ers," McDonald said. "Owen's been talking to their coaches. That's the way I'd like to go. It will just be a matter of working it all out."

McDonald said he opted against transferring to another American school after Nova Southeastern University failed to renew an intended four-year scholarship at the end of his first season in March.

"I pretty much made the decision to come home straight away and really didn't explore any other options," McDonald said. "Basketball-wise, it didn't really work out how I had planned and I didn't enjoy that side of it at all."

McDonald said Albury and former state coach Jim Wilson phoned his mother with an offer as soon as he heard about his plight.

He said he had much respect for Wilson and had trained with the Bandits when his father lived in Albury a few years ago.

"It's all been a bit of a bonus for sure," McDonald said.

He said he was looking forward to being able to return to his free-flowing game after Nova coaches restricted him from shooting.

McDonald was an interested observer for the Horsham Hornets hometown clash against Craigieburn on Saturday night.

Topic #2979 | Report this topic

The truth  
Years ago

At the Moment the sixers really need to just look at Who ever is out there ... and try to find a quality import to fill the gap left by farley .. to show fans they have a team and give them a reason to buy season tickets

Reply #33925 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I don't know anything about this guy but I'd be sceptical about his NBL chances if a 4 year scholarship was cut short after 1 year in a division II college.

Reply #33934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didnt think they could cut sports scholarships on performance. once u get a scholarship u keep it unless your dont uphold the values of being an athletic scholar.

Reply #33937 | Report this post

hmmm  
Years ago

you can loose your scholarship, in many different ways performance is important so getting cut from a div 2 school is not a great start to a career.

Reply #33982 | Report this post

Izzard  
Years ago

Smyth has generally steered clear of bad apples.....he may be forced to look differently from here on.

Reply #34014 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Shane McDonald suited up last night in his first game upon return from the US for Albury/Wodonga Bandits.

He scored 13 points on 5/8 shooting (3 of 6 three-pointers)and dished out 3 assists in 22 minutes.

Eric Bradley had a great game for the Bandits with 26 points and 10 rebounds.

To complete my Adelaide connection SEABL round out, Brad Hill had a good game for the AIS with 23 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists, and Mark Nash got 26 points, 13 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 blocks for Hobart.

Reply #34057 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

for sure, shane is definately a national league player, and an international level shooter of the ball

go shaneo

Reply #93908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That you Shane?

Reply #93912 | Report this post

stewart  
Years ago

shane is a legend, I would know as i am a horshamer, and a great fan of the hornets. good luck for your basketball future shano

Reply #113296 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:32 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754