Brains
Years ago

Nate Tomlinson, is he any good?

Looking to see if someone can educate me a little here...

I've watched Tomlinson this season and I understand he is a rookie, but what did the Tigers really bring him in for?

The commentators continually say that he wasn't known for his scoring ability in college.. well what was it? His defence isn't horrible but why would you sign him over a Brenden Teys, Mitch Philp, Shaun Gleeson, Shane Mcdonald, even Brad Williamson would be more beneficial?

Don't get me wrong, i'm not having a go at his worth ethic, and I understand he's a rookie and it's only the start of the season, but was this move to develop him in the NBL etc?
or is there something more to Tomlinson that i'm missing?

(Not a sarcastic post, actually want decent opinions)

Topic #29810 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Nate Tomlinson was never a scorer in college and will likely never be a scorer in the NBL.

Tomlinson is a solid point guard, with usually reliable hands, and ability to run the team effectively, and play solid D. Don't expect anything flashy, just a solid team player - the glue that can help bring everyone together.

Reply #385420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #385429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is destined to have a 2-3 year career as a below average NBL player.

Reply #385430 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would you sign Brad Williamson if you needed a PG? Actually, why would you sign Brad Williamson?

Reply #385431 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Nate may be in the wrong program to blossom as his coach is a rookie also. Hope it works out for him!

Reply #385433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think people are being a little hard on the kid.

He was a four year starter at Colorado. When he got there they were poor 9-22, the second year 15-16 then in third and fourth years they won 24 games. He was their leader. He doesn't stat eye catching numbers but he runs a team/club.

Last year They beat Arizona to win the Pac-12, it took the stacked Baylor team to knock them out of NCAA tournament last year, that's how strong his team became.

Give him time. He will be a very solid NBL player for a long time.

Reply #385434 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Unfortunately, he's been thrown in the deep end under an inexperienced coach and the rest of the team is playing crap as well so there's added pressure... Luckily for him, he's probably got one of the best assistant coaches you could ask for as a mentor down there, so I expect him to improve over the season for sure...

Reply #385440 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

was he a starter? he seems to think he's gonna come into the league and kill it.

he's simply not as good as he think he is

Reply #385442 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Give him some time, he was ok against NZ but definitely needs to work on his shot or at least his confidence in it.

Reply #385453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems to spend a lot of time whinging to the refs...maybe jus gettin used to the different way the games ref'd here over college?

Reply #385477 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'd sign Brad Williamson over half of the people playing for my club right now, Isaac.

Have nothing but good memories of him being a pure shooter and passable defender for the Crocs...

He wore asics running shoes on the court, instead of basketball shoes, too. Weird...

Reply #385481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac can correct me if I'm wrong but I remember him saying he heard some personal stuff about the guy and thus doesn't like him. Maybe that's the reason teams don't seem to be interested in him?

But yeah plenty of worse players than him in the NBL thats for sure.

Reply #385497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once BW's three point radar went off the boil there was no reason for clubs to be interested especially when there arent many spots to start with. Probably only Sydney and Melbourne would view him as an upgrade on their 10th player but at his age BW might want a bit more than that.

Reply #385510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He did always seem to be a pretty decent rebounder too.

Reply #385537 | Report this post

jericho  
Years ago

Willo is a gun, Rockets mvp in qbl and bullets ring holder.

Why does Isaac not like him?

Reply #385619 | Report this post

Jerry  
Years ago

The fact his father is well connected in the basketball world surely did not play a roll in him getting a spot with a professional club in Aus (insert sarcasm)...

Reply #434833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:58 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754