Can Benn McDonald coach?

What do you guys reckon about NBL 'referee' and Woodville Warriors coach, Benn McDonald?

Can he coach?

Topic #29840 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he can bring him to Townsville. Can't be any worse then what we got

Reply #385887 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yes he can - you answered your own question for whatever its worth

Interested onlooker seems question now is ?
why do you want to have above clarified.

Can you coach ?

Reply #385889 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

will he still be allowed to ref ABL now he has a conflict of interest

Reply #385892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shouldn't

Reply #385893 | Report this post

Well, with so many referees coaching for local district clubs, there are conflicts of interest everywhere. If you didn't have them refereeing their own club, you simply wouldn't have enough referees.......

Reply #385896 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Dude should work out how to referee first.

Reply #385900 | Report this post

Hahahahahaha BEST CALL!!!

Reply #385909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously people! I don't know if Benny Mac can coach but here is a club desperate to have anyone put their hand up to do the gig and someone is already bagging him.

Maybe he can, maybe he can't, maybe he'll grow into the role.....but no established coaches will put their hand up so be thankful he's doing it at all.

Reply #385912 | Report this post

Kills  
Years ago

I played ressies under Benny last season and was 100% one of the best seasons in ressies (team wise) ive had in a long time. Very involved and enthusiastic but when its comes down to it, basketball wise he knows his stuff. Being a ref means nothing in this instance except he gets to see up close the best teams in the country (NBL) do there stuff and he picks things up from that. Made the season very enjoyable to play and wanted to run through a wall every game to get the win. So yes he 100% can coach

Reply #385918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are allot of Referee's out there at an elite level who could make very good coaches.

Reply #385929 | Report this post

Yes, Benny Mac can coach. Can he referee? no worse than everyone else.

Although outsiders look at Benn as a referee and a poor one at that he is coaching at Woodville with a considerable level of effort.

Off the court Benn has sought mentors that have helped him with his coaching that include highly credentialed NBL, WNBL and district coaches at high and low levels.

Benn has also listened to his players, something that he has possibly not done as a referee.

I have known Benn for a long time and have found him extremely 'full on' either as a referee, player or now as a coach. Benn has got right into player development and offers extra training sessions, feedback and the occasional 'how ya going?' text or phone call.

Benn is certainly committed to providing a environment for players to improve and be the best they can be.

Benn has told me many times that he is nowhere near the educated level of the coach he wants to be. Benn reads, listens and sources all types of infomation to make him a better coach.

Maybe what I have written helps answer your question Intersted Observer. You may have a differing opinion, but what I have written is what I think.

For anyone who wants to be trained hard, committed to fitness and focused on playing for a passionate and developing coach should contact Benn.

Kills is right about having his players enjoy playing for him, Benn does provide a great environment, so I agree with Kills, Benny Mac can coach.

I used to think he was getting into coaching to be controlling but I have come to understand he is truly passionate about coaching.

I read the thread and thought I would make a comment so that you can understand Benn is doing the absolute best he can and provide background about how he goes about it.

Interested Observer you should approach him, talk to him about things to do with basketball. You might actually like him?

I just hope he does not read this. Someone might have to deflate his head!

Reply #386004 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Are you guys for real?

Benn McDonald was a crap player at Meningie Bears although he was good at re-arranging the team. He was also at another club but I fail to remember, but the answer would be a swift NO.

In fact, this is still a joke right?

Reply #386017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Know Benny Mac and he is a great bloke. A good mate of mine plays reserves for him and has nothing but great things to say about Benn.

Reply #386038 | Report this post

Kills  
Years ago

eli1....what are u talking about??? who the hell are the Meningie Bears?? were are talking about basketball not footy so maybe shouldnt comment at this stage yeah?

Aljazeera TV exec your right bout him the old pumping of the tires comment haha this really is the last thing he needs to see lol

Reply #386050 | Report this post

the thrill  
Years ago

Xstatic, who are you any way?
Anyone of note

My six cents is that he is a developing coach and is very keen to do well so should be encouraged

Reply #386056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can benn Mac coach?
Can Marty? Can dean nyberg? Can Willie gennette? Can al green? Can Andrew jantke?
Pointless thread which everyone will have different opinions of, end of the day at least his doing it and people are. Haters gonna hate.

Reply #386058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben the problem with you asking if anyone has noticed you is that you open yourself up to home truths. Nigel before you blew his trumpet, clarinet and trombone but as is custom, failed to finish. I don't know if u can coach Ben but u may have been better serving an apprenticeship and assisting before taking a division team because you risk letting everyone down.

Reply #386102 | Report this post

sharpeshooter  
Years ago

sure he can .... just ask him!!!! good luck to him though ... cant knock a bloke for having a crack ... good luck Ben

Reply #386435 | Report this post

tragic  
Years ago

Woodville U23's beat Norwood by 24pts tuesday and they have won the last 2 or 3 grand finals so his coaching is getting some good results so far.Yes Norwood where not at full strength but that has not stopped them winning in the past.

Reply #386701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depends on who you are comparing him with.When compared to Lynne or Karen he's a world beater but unfortunately he has to be compared with talented coaches and only time will tell.

Reply #386716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754