BJF
Years ago

Braswell cut, replaced by Jonny Flynn

Boti has suggested on Twitter that Johny Flynn may play v the 36ers on Friday night.

Topic #29845 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

he must really want a holiday. Whatever the reason will be nice to see some new talent here, should get some exposure you would think.

Reply #385973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flynn will kill it in this league. Will be an immediate impact player, and Adelaide with its restrictive stubborn style, wont counteract his abilities... ala the hawks imports went to school on us with little fight from the home team.

Reply #385978 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wow - if that turns out to be true...

Reply #385980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow, very exciting for the league,

if you compare his nba stats to other exnba imports who have played nbl, he is well above, but also likely played more minutes in the NBA than most, but if his head is switched on, he should be a real top notch import, as i doubt any top 10 nba picks have played NBL.

Will be interesting to see if he is a level above say Cedric Jackson, currently the best import in the league, or if about the same or worse, to me it will be a good guage on the standard of the NBL, will also depend on how hard he works and how switched on he is mentally.

Its great for the league to get a exNBA guy who is young and a high draft pick and i hope the league can get similar talents in the future.

Reply #385981 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Todd Fuller was pick #11 in the NBA draft.

Reply #385983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why was he cut from the NBA? I thought he was doing ok?

Reply #385984 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

The Age: Tigers sack import Braswell

The Tigers are believed to have a replacement player ready to join the side for their clash against Adelaide at Hisense Arena on Friday night.

But the club could also add a new import to take Braswell's place permanently.

The Tigers are expected to formally announce the move this afternoon.

Reply #385987 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Damn, if this is true it would be good. He was just waived by the Pistons.

Even though Flynn is considered somewhat of a bust, he has seen decent court time time in the NBA and had some big games. This is possibly the most well-credentialed NBA player(still only 23 years old too!) ever to play in the NBL.

Reply #385994 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

It's up on the Herald Sun:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/more-sport/jonny-flynn-to-replace-kevin-braswell-at-melbourne-tigers/story-e6frfglf-1226510604467

The guy averaged 13.5ppg in his rookie year at Minnesota, before a hip injury and Ricky Rubio's arrival saw him drop off the map.

A nice breakdown of his playing style here:

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2012/10/18/3522126/jonny-flynn-running-out-of-chances

He was waived by Detroit on Oct 22, so its somewhat of a coup that he would come to Australia rather than keep trying to crack an NBA roster.

There isn't really any reason why he shouldn't kill it over here but we'll see I guess once he gets a few games under his belt.

Hopefully he can give the league a bit of a push and generate some highlights.

Reply #385995 | Report this post

Rainmaker  
Years ago

Johnny Flynn??? How much money do the tigers have?

Reply #385997 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

great signing. they might just get that ball over halfway

Reply #385999 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Flynn was who I was referring to last week in the other thread. his career has been derailed by injury now he just wants to play minutes now and get his flow back. wouldn't expect him to stay for the full season as you'd think he would be on NBA-out clause. he's a legit NBA player and you would expect him to kill the league as words are that he's extremely focused on playing well to be back in the big league.

on another note, I think this move further validates that you cannot trust whatever comes out of Anstey's mouth, he only just supported his point guard last week in the paper last week and this breaks out within days.

Reply #386001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahaa ^

Reply #386002 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Brasswell's exit from the league might be brief if he gets his NZ citizenship. Victim of circumstance?

Will be interesting to see how Flynn adapts to the the local style of play should he end up at Melbourne. I expect he'll make a similar impression on the league to the one Patty made last year but with a little bit less fanfare. Expect him to make the clutch plays.

Nevertheless it is still a risky move by Tigers if he doesn't hang around and even with his addition, Melbourne still lacks ball carrying depth past Flynn.

Reply #386015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Self confessed Tigers man here so will openly admit I could be looking at this through rose colored glasses but I think things are starting to look up for the Tigers.

Seth Scott has been a great pick up for the Tigers, based on the first 5 games he would have to be right up there in the best few big men in the league.

We all know what Adam Ballinger can do when he is fully fit and we saw evidence of that on Sunday, if he stays fit he could do some massive damage.

Goulding I was super critical of in the first few games, but it seems he is starting to find his feet.

Getting Flynn in to help these guys out, plus add in Walker who seems to be getting over his hip injury and Tigers may do alright.

What I think we really lack is depth.
Rush - well he has contributed but can't say he has had many standout games ion the last 2 seasons.

Tomlinson - shocking first few games, does appear to be getting better but still a long way off it.

Greer - Doesn't seem to have the same energy levels as in the past, can defend but not much of an offensive game.

Lewis - In limited minutes you can almost see he has potential but really hasn't done anything to warrant more minutes.

Burston - Can't remember the last time he dominated a game. Had lots of injuries over the journey and not sure if he is injured now but really isn't doing much when he is on court.

Reply #386019 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That fact that teams will no longer be able to pressure Melbourne out of their offence on a high number of possessions should make everyone on the team better. With multiple bigs who can hit shots, if oppo teams help on Flynn their should be some good looks available.

Reply #386026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Braswell was shit

Reply #386031 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Very exciting.

Scott and Ballinger is the best big man combo in the NBL right now. Add Flynn and it should make for a winning team.

Reply #386039 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

if the opposition PG can keep the ball out of Flynns hands they are still weak in the ball handling department compared to the top teams in the league

Reply #386040 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Flynn vs. Cedric

Shit, I"ll have to mark the next Tigers vs. Breakers game in my calender!!

Reply #386045 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

He was a heck of a player in college. Great energy guy. The six-OT game against UConn in the Big East Tourney where he logged 67 (out of a possible) 70 minutes was insane.

The Timberwolves (who drafted him #6) was a horrible fit for him. He was asked to start as a rookie, on a horrible team, running an unfamiliar, PG-unfriendly triangle offense.

Hindsight is great and all, but to give you an idea of how good he was in college he was drafted ahead of Steph Curry, Demar DeRozen, Brandon Jennings, Jrue Holliday and Ty Lawson.

Reply #386046 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

would there be any teams who would add braswell right now if he gained citizenship....

Reply #386047 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

"He was a heck of a player in college. Great energy guy. The six-OT game against UConn in the Big East Tourney where he logged 67 (out of a possible) 70 minutes was insane."

And one of his teammates in that game: former Tiger Eric Devendorf!

Reply #386048 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Definitely gives Melbourne a weapon if Flynn's head and heart are in it. They may have been winless for a long while, but they hadn't played as many games as fellow spoon contenders Townsville.

At only 1-4, it isn't that hard to come back and make a season of it.

Reply #386061 | Report this post

Moon  
Years ago

Up there with Todd Lichti as a legit former NBA player in the NBL

Reply #386064 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I hope it is agent zero!!!

Reply #386065 | Report this post

MJ @ Super  
Years ago

Kevin Brooks legit NBA?

Reply #386068 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

errr...Jake...

Screw it I couldn't be bothered...

Reply #386069 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Was drafted high (18th overall) but had no where near the prominence in terms of production, overall games played or minutes per game compared to Flynn.

But at the same time there is every chance Flynn's head is not right at the moment and he doesn't impress...

Either way will be a great barometer of where our league is at. He actually has similar NBA numbers to Patty Mills...

Reply #386074 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Amazing that a guy of his calibre wants to come over here. We have seen quite a few little quick guys like that in the league so it's not like he's bringing a totally unprecedented style of play to the league.

I doubt any players will be able to keep pace with him, but then again, American guards don't like to body up defensively like the ones here. Flynn will definitely have to adjust. Plus, the arc is a little closer to the goal in Australia and the charge circle rule is different, favouring defenders. He may not cut up the D like everyone is thinking. He does have a streaky jumpshot from what I've heard though, so I wouldn't want to give him much space outside. The jury is out on whether he will be the force his credentials say he will.

Reply #386081 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Will be significantly more effective than Mills was last year I predict.

Reply #386084 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

huge signing.. now someone can dribble the ball up half court for the tigers they might actually win games

Reply #386094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be significantly more effective than Mills was last year I predict.

I doubt it. Mills had a shithouse Tigers top of the ladder at 6-3 when he left, was equal league leader in scoring (18.6ppg) and 4th in the league in assists (5apg).

Reply #386100 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

" Flynn ultimately chose the Tigers for its world class best practices on and off the court"

Say no more............

Reply #386101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully better than Mills he was inconsistent.

Reply #386103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going to look at this pessimistically. Don't get me wrong, he has a lot of upside, but at the end of the day he is just another player that couldn't get a game in the NBA. The NBL has had plenty before. The main upside is that he is only 23 and has had injuries, so we may not have seen the best of him.

Reply #386105 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

99%+ of the NBL are players that couldn't make it in the NBA.

Reply #386113 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

Interesting signing. Having watched him play for my T-Pups for 2 years, it isn't a surprise to see him out of the NBA. We were all overjoyed to be rid of him after his sophmore season. He's quick and seems to have fun out there (part of the problem?) - but he's just not a #6 pick (in hindsight). Part of it was that he was a bit of a workout/interview wonder and teams put too much stock in his legendary 3 (or was it 4?) OT game. Sacto apparently wanted him if Minny could get a targeted player with their 2nd first-rounder (early teens), but since that player was gone the deal (which would have been Tyreke) fell through. Indy's 1st rounder a couple of years back (Paul George) was also on the table for him after his decent rookie season. The hip injury and his experience with the Rambis era probably didn't help him either.

Hopefully away from the spotlight he can get it all together and work his way back... Cause he does seem like a decent guy.

Reply #386115 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Still bemused why Minny got Rubio and Flynn in the same draft , with the picks right next to eachother!!

Reply #386117 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

/Khan logic

Reply #386118 | Report this post

johnny_sack  
Years ago

I think the Sacto deal was one of the motivators - then when that fell through they had the known unknown of Rubio's availability/desire to come to Minny as a justification to take Flynn (along with the Steph Curry stuff - not wanting to be taken by Minny apparently). It's water under the bridge now...

Reply #386119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy has waived more times than the queen!

Reply #386121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just another *Import* that couldn't make it in the NBA

Reply #386126 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Interesting to see if he lasts 3 months, I've circled Feb 10 on the calender.

Reply #386129 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Gotta love the ignorance... "just another import that couldnt make the NBA"... millions of people play basketball... 200 odd make the NBA at any given time, a drop in the sea... he got more of a look then any guy on any NBL roster has.... So shut your trap.

Reply #386131 | Report this post

Lol  
Years ago

Actually there are 450 players in the NBA in any given season.

30 teams with 15 roster spots.

Just saying :) nice try, but you finish last

Reply #386133 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Relax jarrad

Reply #386134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

450 NBA players is still a drop in the sea....

Reply #386136 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The joke is on you mate, either way the number is small. Even if it were a thousand guys it's still peanuts.

Reply #386137 | Report this post

Whitey  
Years ago

Even if you included d-league rosters, its still a small number

Reply #386140 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Is it fair to say that his career was torpedoed by the triangle offense run in Minnesota during Kurt Rambis' failed coaching stint?

Had a fairly good rookie year only to drop off a cliff.

Reply #386151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good article on Jonny Flynn. Says he turned down much bigger offers from Europe and China to play here.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-11-07/flynn-wants-court-time-with-tigers/4359178?section=vic

Reply #386381 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:16 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754