Happy Days
Years ago

Length of Domestic seasons

Is two 18 game seasons plus finals to much for kids? Be interesting to see what other associations do.

Topic #29867 | Report this topic

';'  
Years ago

Yes. There should be some down time for kids around December. But if they are not training as well then I would say most kids enjoy an extra game.

Reply #386360 | Report this post

Wized123  
Years ago

I am from Nth Queensland and i'm interested to hear when your season starts & finishes - how many seasons do you have a year?

We have 2 - a preseason type deal that goes for 8-10wks plus 1wk of semis and 1wk of finals then a championship season that goes for 14-16wks plus 2weeks of semis and 1wk of finals.

Reply #386368 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The length of a season is always hotly contested. Too long and people lose interest, too short and it's not worth it.

For fairness, the teams should play away each other twice (once at home, once away), and then there's finals. If the games are played at a common stadium, then it's a bit different.

The top 4 system of finals means a shorter major season, but rewards teams who are consistent all season. A major season that includes half or more of the teams means those teams who improve towards the end of the season are rewarded. With a top 4 of 10 teams, a team needs to win around 75% of games to qualify for finals. With a top 5 of 10 teams, a team can still qualify with around 50% wins.

The other thing to consider is school terms. If a season can squeeze into two terms, then it aligns with parent's expectations as well as school sports.

Reply #386373 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

In this domestic comp it is broken down to Summer Season terms 1 and 2 and Winter season terms 3 and 4. 36 games for the year plus finals.My team trains one night a week and plays Thursday nights. I think with some associations alot of it is financially driven as they need to repay there loans.

Reply #386375 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

It's too much as it is for little kids, burns them out. Shouldn't be year round until they're mid-teens at least. Have seen lots of kids leave due to the constant trainings and games and never any time off.

Reply #386390 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754