Anonymous
Years ago

Crocs CEO Ian Smythe resigns

For this to occur however, the community support must remain and recent events and performances have suggested that this will be more difficult while I remain in my current role.

No one person is more important than this club and as such I have tendered my resignation to the Board of Barrier Reef Basketball effective immediately. I will remain working with the Board in a transition role until the end of November but will have no decision making capacity effective immediately.

http://www.nbl.com.au/crocodiles-home/news/article/2012/november/-f80261646e/#.UKGQ0SMnNn4.twitter

Topic #29931 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Right move. At the same time it is an admission that they are forfeiting the season, which means there will be less and less ticket revenue with each game. Short term pain for long term gain. They have to clean out the roster too though. Big decisions need to follow.

Reply #387287 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

had to be done so that the club can move forward.

Reply #387291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's dragged the once great club into the ground. His poor decision making has even cost the Original Mascot, the Croc to retire.Stick to the front office, concentrate on your duties there. Not in platyer selection. Your ultimate failing was that. The ultimate failure of a once mighty club may also be a result of Smythe's ineptitude.

Reply #387298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Crocs will be better for this move. Not the most trusted individual in a position of power. Goodluck to the Crocs, the NBL needs this team to be a force, and keep the stadium full with loud fans. Miss the Rose Rillie days!

Reply #387303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news.

Long overdue

Reply #387309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In saying that what has Leeanne done for the 36ers in her time??

Reply #387310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ nothing!

Now who replaces him? Former NBL player?

Reply #387314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reidy?
The (former) Croc?

Reply #387330 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Mick - It would've made more sense for the club to force his resignation during the off-season if there had been this long-held lack of faith in his managerial capabilities. Coming into a new season with a roster overhaul and revised club philosophy could've sparked optimism amongst the fan base.

For a regional team that is struggling financially like the Crocs, they can't afford to "forfeit the season". For the Townsville Crocs, short-term pain = long-term pain.

I'm not very optimistic about the club's future, but hopefully their fans rally and give their support.

Reply #387331 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You're completely right Mo.

Something had to be done NOW though, and Smythe leaving is better for the bank balance than replacing Larry Abney with Julian Kazzouh or someone - especially when at 0-8 their season is already toast.

I am not confident of their future, and I feel that they will only replace Smythe with someone similar, since the people above Smythe are just as guilty as he. There will be tumbleweeds blowing the Swamp to round out the season now, as the already record-low crowd numbers take a further nosedive

Which is why the club as a whole needs a clean out.

Not only do the Cedars, Hinder, Allen, (probably Holmes and PC too) have to go; the whole front office, salespeople, especially marketing staff and manager, everyone involved in game night presentation, coaches; everyone has to go.

You will end up losing some decent people that deserve jobs elsewhere, but the rebuild has to be unforgiving and total. It is the only way to do it, especially if we switch to a community model as is looking likely.

You have to look at this franchise as a whole and ask yourself, "who is doing their job right now. Who is actually of value to this franchise?" while looking at every failure from top to bottom.

The list will be two people long: Todd Blanchfield and Mitch Norton.

I would be negotiating with PC and Holmes for a mutual release as soon as possible (since both are under contract for next year), and I would be showing everyone else who so much as folds a towel for the organisation to kindly take a hike. There are too many people in that organisation who are passionate and supportive, but at the same time: clueless about basketball-related matters, defensive when criticised, and entirely unwilling to change

Bring on the community model, transparency, and above all: accountability.

Go Crocs.

Reply #387338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

YEAH! We should get rid of JR & Homicide too while we are at it... oh wait, how did that turn out?

Reply #387341 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

haha, good call. Homicide made the Crocs. Although he wasn't the greatest in the locker room, they should have tried hard to keep him. (I don't think the Crocs did much to keep him, did they?)

Reply #387343 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Wow tell us what you really think Mick.

I do agree somewhat on the roster changes, the Crocs should have never signed 4 backup big men, with holmes the only player who would have remote chance of being a starter on any other roster in the league. Signing two inexperienced point guards and mick cedar was also doomed to fail.

We are only 8 games in to a 28 game season and although our season is probably gone that doesn't mean you throw in to towel.

My immediate changes if possible would be bye bye larry and bring in Neville or Khazzouh to start at centre and give us some size, rebounding and any kind of a low post presence.

Drop or relegate to 11th man (if possible) Mick or Chris Cedar and bring in an explosive american 2/3 to add some athleticism and help our annemic offense.

Then please get a ceo who can improve the game night entertainment and put some bums on seats at the swamp. Starting with bringing back the Mcafe Croc squad, who have been the shining light of the game night entertainment for the past couple of years. I can only assume the girls weren't asked back as the Crocs couldn't afford to pay them. I wonder how many supporters/ dollars have been lost by the Crocs axing the best part of game night entertainment.

Reply #387349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think this is the end for the Crocs. They wont be in the comp next year.

Reply #387351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why wouldn't he quit, crocs r playing terrible

Reply #387353 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Homicide didn't walk, he was fired, via email. Not even a phone call. By Smythe.

After winning league MVP.

John Rillie was assed after nailing ten triples to bury Perth in the playoffs.

All Smythe's work. Credit to him though, he will admit that he got those calls wrong now.

But those two decisions lost a lot of community support and sponsorship dollars.

KR: I wish they would do what you suggest, but I doubt they change the roster this far in the season.

Russell Hinder and Larry Abney are both easy cuts. Hinder has a team out clause in his contract so can be cut without hassle because of his injury concerns and age, while Abney is an import who can also be easily let go. Both of those guys are big reasons why we are struggling this season (bad defense and can't score either), and are easy to release, so it's crazy to me why something isn't being done.

Oh well, here's to 2013/2014...

Reply #387355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield Norton would def keep and Holmes and PC depending on price for next year

Reply #387356 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Wow, I knew they flicked him on bad terms, but via email...that's as unprofessional as it gets.

Reply #387360 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

If anything is to be learnt from the demise of Rillie, Rose and Homicide from the Crocs, it would be you do everything to keep PC (our current local favourite son) into the future and play him off the bench until he is ready to hang up the boots.

Reply #387363 | Report this post

meo  
Years ago

I heard their old DJ/music guy is applying for the job

Reply #387364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think "negotiating with PC and Holmes for a mutual release as soon as possible" would be seen by the public as very similar to JR & Homicide...

Reply #387367 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's all very well to call for a complete clean-out in Townsville, but you have to be able to convince good people to move there to replace them.

This team is only one good big import, or Luke Nevill, off being a competitive team.

Reply #387370 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I would love to have them both back if the role was right.

Tying up two starters' spots to them doesn't leave much flexibility, though.

Holmes is a starting calibre rebounder but a 12th man on the offensive end in terms of decision making, so I wonder what role he plays on a championship calibre team. Sixth man? Would he be happy with that? You can't really afford to have your starting PF being a chucker, even if he is a great rebounder. Inside scoring is our weakest area, and he offers none of that. So you really have to have a monster inside presence at the 5 to allow Holmes to start. Who?

PC is probably getting paid too much for his production (though as suggested above it would be good to let him retire in green given the past mistreatment of "favourite sons"). And with this season shot, next year he will be another year older, and probably not a starter on a contender-level team. I doubt he would be happy off the bench.

Lots of questions, although PC and Holmes are two guys I'd be happy to have back. But PC as THE franchise guy, or Holmes as a high volume shooter isn't the right way to employ either of them...

Reply #387373 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@Paul: the reason why a clean-out is a must is that several Crocs guys were given "last chance" contracts this offseason, after nearly not being retained.

Those same "several" guys have been the worst performers for us this year, so they have used their last chance up.

At the least, they have to go.

Reply #387376 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

There will be some big moves at the club this off season. Locker room moves (dur), front office and a total restructure of the club.

Just hope that through all of that, Townsville get behind them. Would hate to see the Crocs drop out of the league.

Reply #387384 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The league would suck a whole lot without teams like Townsville so I hope the ship can be righted.
I agree that after the JR Homicide issues I would def retain Crawford, plus the guy can play and is a competitor. He just needs some help.

Reply #387386 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree Mick, there need to be some moves, but it has to been done carefully or else you end up in a pretty bad cycle of low talent. PC and Holmes are not guys who can easily be replaced, some of the other guys can.

Reply #387387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There may be no club next season.

Reply #387401 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

You let a legend like Hinder go out with dignity. He's just about finished but has been awesome for the best part of a decade!! Rillie should have also been given that option though i do hear that that was due to his pay packet & cutting him was better than slapping his face with a reduced contract. Surely all parties could have come up with something better? Rob Rose was certainly getting on & Homicide had off court issues apparantly. It seems Smythe can't deal with any people with some maintenance? The fans pay the wages & this once sold out fortress is teetering on self destruction! Rillie played the game of his life in Perth & to get cut after that was an absolute disgrace! You sit him down & work it out...
It's the fault of either Smythe or Gleeson but all signs indicate his resignation might be a very positive move.

Reply #387411 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What team DOES keep high maintenance players around? Hodge, Homicide, etc - no NBL team is currently employing either. Can't think of any or many in the league.

Homicide had a huge salary and wasn't retained, not fired. I would've let him go at that price too, MVP or not.

Rillie was a bit like Phill Jones. Can light it up at that age but didn't always do so. Time was wrapping up for him, IMO.

Reply #387419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Takes the focus away form the ineffectual recruiting of Woolpert for a few days until the crocs are 0-9 at least.

Reply #387423 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

I would like to see a lot of the ex-Blaze front office staff make the move north.

Reply #387448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most underachieving franchise ever.

Reply #387477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id like to see Leeanne move north!!

Reply #387486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow if the girls are the best part no wonder they are gone.
Facts = Bye Crocs, Hello Bullets.

Reply #387547 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Crocs are going nowhere. When they kicked in more cash last season it was allegedly enough for at least two more seasons. They will be turning to a community model this off-season anyway.

Reply #387548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A community model needs community support. All the fat cat owners have run the franchise into oblivion. They have succesfully turnedarguably Australia's best basketball profit making franchise into a basket case.
They have alienated the fans and for many recent years the fans haven't got behind the club.
Now the arrogant owners want the community to get behind them and their club and pay for the priveldge of doing so.
Hard dilemma. If it was me I would say stuff you george and cohorts. You mismanaged the club and reduced it to the shambolic state it's in now.
A commumity model also indicates the mis managing owners that have squeezed ever last profit pout of the club, now that is is needed. again, wont pony up.
The local fans have been ripped off, ignored, shat on and the basketball package the Crocs used to put on, is all but worn out.
Don't support them. Teach the arrogant, money gruubing pricks that ruined the club, that they cost their community a side in the NBL.

Reply #387553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a lot of the truth has never come out about the Rillie axing!

The Crocs NEVER offered him a contract, did not even talk to him about the next year. The FACT is he would have accepted a lesser $$$ deal to finish his career in Townsville.

Beacuse of the timing of the release (due to the NBL rebranding) he could not find another team - the NBL Points System was also a major contributor, until an import was cut & Kirk Penney got injured.

He was NEVER invited to the 20 season dinner and was NEVER told he made the 20 season all star team... he has heard along the gravepine that Derek Rucker or Russell Hinder has his plaque!

There are MANY MANY Townsvillians that still love JR and will not come back to the club due to his unceremonious release.

Reply #387562 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754