ewn
Years ago

Are NBL players rich?

so i know some players dont gegt paid too much, but some get paid around $180,000.
however this includes there accomidation and stuff during away games, so would the top paid NBL players acually be rich?

Topic #29933 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Idiot ^

Reply #387290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol^

Reply #387307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmmm...I guess school holidays have started early this year

Reply #387313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the team pays for their airfares and their accomodation and majority of their meals when travelling. their salary is entirely their own.

Reply #387315 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

I don't think it's a terrible question. For instance, you would think that Andrew Gaze is rich. Brett Maher probably is? What about guys like Martin Cattalini etc.

So if you play 10+ years in the NBL, at a high level (top 20 player) would you better off than the average person after the same amount of time?

Reply #387317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher, rich? hahahaha

Reply #387327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good Imports were paid quite well in the boom times of the early 90's.

Reply #387329 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

the top players of each team would be doing fairly well for themselves... gotta remember its half a years work too.. they can pursue other things for the rest of the year.. so I dont think 100 thou or 80 thou is bad at all to play some basketball.. too busy comparing it to NBA salaries.... these guys will eat atleast!

Reply #387333 | Report this post

Cera77  
Years ago

Its a fair question, Some players have their own business ect which can make them rich but playing salary alone would only make you rich if you invested it properly.
You guys above^ making fun of the question asker suck, yep you do.

Reply #387334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask Matt Shanahan or Matthew Knight how long they played in the NBL for, how many teams they played for and whether or not they are now RICH$$

Reply #387340 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

RICH... no, but I am sure they can afford to own a house and do all the things we strive to do.

Reply #387359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much did thd imports get back in the hay days? Grace, d-mac and loggins? And how much would lisch or a jackson be on? Also say like ure the 9th 10th player on the roster?

Reply #387366 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good Imports were paid quite well in the boom times of the early 90's.
--------------------

By Australian terms at the time, yes. But the entire salary cap was around $450K or US$300K. Accounting for inflation that would only be about US$550K today.

So even with a bit of cheating and very low pay for a number of Aussie players there still wasnt huge money on offer for Americans.

Reply #387369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze is filthy rich. He has milked as much as he can (and still is) out of Basketball in Australia.

Reply #387378 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

Good on him. He has also put a lot into Australian Basketball. He would probably be the only Australian Basketballer that a fair slice of Ausies who dont follow the sport would know.

Reply #387408 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hurls, half the year? They finish around March if they miss finals and often have to report by July for pre-season.

Reply #387438 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

rich no, comfortable yes.

Reply #387439 | Report this post

Nathan Lovett  
Years ago

depends how smart they are with their money

When compared to other Australian sports, not the NBA, they earn much less on AVERAGE than players in the NRL, AFL or even the A-League.

Some of the players are not on top money their entire career, then there are those who's careers do not last very long

If you were to go around to the top name guys who are now retired after 10year plus careers in Australia to see how they are doing, comfortable would probably be their lifestyle, but I know a few who are working really hard for money post retirement and their names even surprise people to think they wouldnt be well off.

In the long run, the money they make does not set the up for life. There is not on Australian basketballer who could retire and just enjoy retirement, the all have to work in some way to survive, just like Andrew Gaze who has done fantastically with his opportunites and probably makes more now commentating than what he did as a player.

Reply #387500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MOst NBL players are now contracted for the full 12 months and have to perform non playing duties in the off season. Clinics, schools etc.

Reply #387536 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Are NBL players rich....the quality of the posts on here are on the up hey?

Reply #387697 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MW, got a few kids from Sydney posting stream of consciousness thoughts as they enter their heads.

Reply #387702 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

They say, if your job is doing something you love it is more like a hobby, not a job!

On that note, I guess they are rich in the sense that playing hoops as a job is something only most of us can dream about, but the fact that almost all NBL players must retire and continue to work contradicts this somewhat...

Rich in $$$, maybe not so much, but rich in other ways, definately...

Reply #388201 | Report this post

TTIGER  
Years ago

Antsey was on about $160K in his final year.

Reply #389139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was on $400K I would consider myself rich

Reply #687691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you were on $400k you could afford to pay someone to check time stamps for you

Reply #687711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:01 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754