kr
Years ago

Please explain out of bounds rule

I just had this called 3 times in a row by a referee in a close semi final game resulting in an out of bounds call and the ball given to the opposition.

The ball bounces in play and over the side line, the player while in the court or jumping from in court, taps the ball back in then steps out of bounds without the ball. Player steps back into court without touching the ball and then with both feet in play picks the ball up and starts to dribble.

Can someone please tell me if this is a turnover, or just a referee with no clue, as I have never seen it called as one in 20 years.

Cheers

Topic #29946 | Report this topic

The ref is wrong

Reply #387552 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

If you tapped it in as you said then the ref was wrong, yeah. If you took possession of the ball and it was a continuous dribble then obviously it's out.

Got called for that a few weeks ago. Frustrating as shit.

Reply #387554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as the player establishes themselves back in court with both feet on the floor before taking possession it's a legal play. Years ago it used to be a player coming from out of court could not touch the ball until someone else in the court had. In this case if it is as stated the referee is wrong.

Reply #387556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I read what you said correctly.

If you were in court and then tapped the ball that actually wasn't out of court, then went out of court and then came into court and there the first player to touch the ball, that call is correct.
You never said the ball went out of court, only over the line, before hitting the oob.

Reply #387557 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

Yep ball over the line but in the air, one hand tap the ball in to play before stepping out of bounds. Then getting both feet back in play before picking up to the ball to dribble.

The refs explanation was something about not being able to tap it back to yourself, so not sure if he is going off an outdated rule. Super frustrating!

Reply #387564 | Report this post

Kr, rather than come on here and ask for peoples OPINIONS of the rule, why not simply read the rule book.
If you still don't understand it then take the book to a refs boss (or top grade ref) and have them explain it.
You come on here asking and you will get 10 different experts with 5 or more different answers. Most of the posters probably don't know what colour the cover of the rule book is (me included)

Reply #387565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happened to Kobe in the Olympics against Austrtalia.

If it is controlled then you cant go out of bounds and come back in.

Reply #387570 | Report this post

kr  
Years ago

whaleoilbeefhoked I don't own a rule book, so I tried the fiba rules online and couldn't see anything, so I thought I'd get someone elses opinion who may have a better idea then me.

Heaven forbid that I go to a Basketball forum site to ask a basketball related question. It's up to me which opinions I choose to listen to or ignore regarding my question. Maybe next time I'll post an adelaide Crows question!

Reply #387587 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

whaleoilbeefhhoked: To be fair, he didn't ask for an opinion on the rule (which is a perfectly reasonable topic in itself) but an explanation of the rule.

This is an interesting topic because I think most of the time the refs consider if you're diving or not and whether that movement is continuous out of bounds opposed to holding your position at the very edge of the baseline trying to save the ball in. It's not an easy call to make when the ball is flying out of bounds and a player with it, I think the default call is out of bounds unless it's clear otherwise.

Reply #387596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some articles that may help:

Art. 11 Location of a player and an official
11.1 The location of a player is determined by where he is touching the floor.
While he is airborne, he retains the same status he had when he last touched the floor. This includes the boundary line, the centre line, the three-point line, the free-throw line, the lines delimiting the restricted area and the lines delimiting the no-charge semi-circle area.

Art. 23 Player out-of-bounds and ball out-of-bounds
23.1 Definition
23.1.1 A player is out-of-bounds when any part of his body is in contact with the floor or any object other than a player, on, above or outside the boundary line.
23.1.2 The ball is out-of-bounds when it touches:
• A player or any other person who is out-of-bounds.
• The floor or any object on, above or outside the boundary line.
• The backboard supports, the back of the backboards or any object above the playing court.
23.2 Rule
23.2.1 The ball is caused to go out-of-bounds by the last player to touch or be touched by the ball before it goes out-of-bounds, even if the ball then goes out-of-bounds by touching something other than a player.
23.2.2 If the ball is out-of-bounds because of touching or being touched by a player who is on or outside the boundary line, this player causes the ball to go out-of-bounds.
23.2.3 If a player(s) move(s) to out-of-bounds or to his backcourt during a held ball, a jump ball situation occurs.

And the final comment from the FIBA casebook:

ARTICLE 23 Player out-of-bounds and ball out-of-bounds
23-1 A4 is dribbling the ball near a sideline. A4 loses his balance and steps out of bounds without touching the
ball. A4 returns to the court and continues his dribble. Is this legal?
Yes. In order to be out of bounds, the ball has to touch the floor out of bounds, a player or any other person
who is out of bounds or any object on, above or outside the boundary line. A4 did not touch the ball while
out of bounds. Therefore, neither A4 or the ball were out of bounds.

Reply #387600 | Report this post

Ted Mosby  
Years ago

Am I allowed to bounce it off the walls of the rec centre? The T-Squares want to know.

Reply #387617 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

kr - when you say "picks the ball up and starts to dribble", it might help to say whether the player picks the ball up in both hands or not. I defer to others who know the rules better than me but might that affect the interpretation and subsequent call? Might it even matter whether the player uses one hand but puts it under the ball to start the dribble? Would the ref be seeing the player as resuming the dribble after returning to the court (having started it with the initial tap inbounds), rather than starting it then?

Reply #387637 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:36 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754