Mystro
Years ago

Breakers Vs Crocs Vector Arena

3rd time these 2 teams have met this season with NZ narrowly winning at home in game 1 due to some Vukona/Jackson brilliance and then rolled over Townsville in Townsville again behind the skill of Jackson in game 2 last week. The Breakers are unbeaten since Perth pulled their pants down and smacked their bums in round 1 while the Crocs are 0-8 and desperate to get a W.
They match up well everywhere except inside the paint with Pledger and Hudson getting limited resistance from Allen and Hinder.

Crocs will be better than last week but NZ by 9

Topic #29947 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Crocs should play better, but yeah, will just be outclassed. Breakers by 9 sounds right.

Reply #387593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs by 4 - everything will finally click

Reply #387595 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think that if NZ or anyone take them lightly they will be in for a surprise. I doubt they are going to through the season without a win, wonder who's scalp will be the first to fall?

Reply #387622 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah, I think I've said it before, but the win when (if?) it comes could come against anybody. They have lost close games to great teams and been blown out by scrubs.

They make it so hard to win because they don't really have any cerebral guys on the team. Last year you at least had Gill and Schenscher who played with their heads and were always looking to make the right play for the right situation depending on the clock and scoreline. eg. Slow it down? Speed it up? Go yourself? Get that guy involved? Take a charge? Get in that guy's head?

Everyone on this team doesn't really think about stuff like that. It's a really low IQ basketball team. One or two thinking-man's decisions in key moments of each of their losses and they could really be sitting at 0.500 or close to it. But you can't really teach smarts.

Gary Ervin - a "takeover" player, not really a thinker.

Peter Crawford - a "takeover" player, not really a thinker. Berates his teammates for failing without teaching them the right way to do something. Not a leader.

Todd Blanchfield - not a thinker, but efficient as hell

Jacob Holmes - one of the dumbest offensive basketball players I have ever seen, but a phenomenal rebounder.

Ben Allen - one of the dumbest basketball players I have ever seen.

Russell Hinder - does lots of dumb stuff for a captain. Not a good leader despite his passion.

Michael Cedar - horribly inefficient scorer. Never knows what play to make.

Chris Cedar - horribly inefficient scoring-wise but makes some nice passes.

Mitch Norton - smart but young.

Larry Abney - Very dumb. Rarely passes. Always hesitant, but shoots anyway. Misses.

Reply #387636 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

May have better balance if they had Gill and Ervin running the show and replaced the big Ginge with someone who could play Centre

Reply #387643 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's harsh on Holmes. He's a smart player, I think he just likes to back his own shot too often when it's not there. Maybe more ego and instinct than "dumb".

If you get a chance sometime, watch him at ABL level where he is off the leash and allowed to put up 20+ shots. Might not always score at a good clip, but he amasses stats and does it fairly tirelessly.

(Apparently, despite not looking like the type and being a slow starter, he's the one that wins running drills by outlasting others.)

Reply #387669 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, his nose for the ball is rivalled only in this league by maybe Mika Vukona, but he just shoots some terrible shots, completely at odds with the flow of the offense. I absolutely love what he brings the team off the ball, and he carried us last season for long stretches. It's just when everything is going wrong, and everyone is taking bad shots, he seems to be taking the most...

He could still get the same amount of points per game if he just reigned it in a bit, shot a couple of times less each night and focused on getting quality looks, especially more at the rim.

Reply #387710 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If Holmes jumpshot looked like Vukona's he prob wouldn't cop nearly as much shit. Vukona is far more aggressive though, doesn't settle for a jumpshot unless it is wide open. Mika will try take it all the way for a layup, Holmes will chuck something up quickly not matter how early it is in the offense. I agree with Isaac on the ego/instinct call, he takes a lot on his shoulders and plays hard and wants to win. Sometimes he probably tries to do do much and rates his own shot higher than his shooting percentage suggests lol. At least he doesn't lay down.

Reply #387712 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers win by blow out in front of a decent crowd. Pledger had his way inside and Jackson wasn't bothered. Tai Ebster fluffed the dunk and Te Rangi with the 3 ball the end

Reply #387888 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

*Webster

trunking and tryping

Reply #387889 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

I don't even understand how NZ -11.5 was paying $1.87 but I sure appreciate it. This was inevitable.

Reply #387891 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Breakers for the three peat?
We're now on a 7 game winning streak and have moved on from out very poor start to the season that only included 1 loss.

Will be interesting to see how we perform next week against arch rivals Perth, not that either team needs any motivation to perform against each other, but both will have plenty with our boys wanting to avenge the round 1 loss and perth wanting to snap their losing streak. Can't wait.

Reply #387956 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Funny how they can go from champs to under the radar based on one loss.

Reply #387961 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

everyone writes them off every off season, "oh they lost Penney, they're stuffed", "without Wilkinson they don't have the firepower" lmao.
Then we get our pants pulled down by Perth which happens at least once a season anyway and the cries get louder.

Reply #387965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst crocks team ever.
Top score by Abney with 11. That really highlights there ineptitude.

Reply #387966 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Obviously worst Suns/Crocs ever, but how do they rank all time with the legendary stinkers?

Even those terrible early 90s Townsville Suns teams could always count on a win against Geelong or Hobart...

What would it take for this Crocs team to join the discussion of "worst NBL season of all time"? Or are they already in that discussion?

Reply #387968 | Report this post

Slopernator  
Years ago

Hard to rank teams as "worst ever" when the nature of the competition changes so frequently. Bad though this Crocs team may be, it certainly doesn't rank with some of the stinker '90's teams that were around when the talent pool was stretched far more than it is currently.

Reply #387970 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What about purely from a statistical point of view?

Surely there aren't too many teams that have shot the ball at such a bad clip or shown such a lacklustre effort on the boards...

Hard to imagine any team going a whole season shooting as bad as these Crocs are...

Reply #387976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't Geelong go winless one season?

Not even halfway through the season yet so a long way to go before this Crocs team is spoken about in the worst of all-time category.

Reply #387997 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Feel bad for Ervin, he play's his ass off as does Blanchfield and Crawford.

Reply #388019 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Or was it St Kilda? Someone went 0-24.

Reply #388045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geelong were the first team to have a winless season going 0-24 in '88.

Reply #388059 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:18 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754