Mick
Years ago

Townsville Move to Community Business Model?

In light of the resignation of Townsville's CEO, all signs on and off the record point to Townsville shifting to a community business model this offseason, including a complete restructure of the front office.

What's the public opinion about such a move?

Cairns & Wollongong fans, what have been the pros and cons of adopting the community model?

In both cases it seems (from an outside perspective) the clubs struggled in the first couple of seasons before thriving more recently.

Topic #29949 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

will prob struggle for the first season or two as you said but should thrive once they start living within their means. and their supporters should respond well to the positive moves off court and attend games as it is now "their" team.

Reply #387621 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The Crocs already have a very low payroll. If it were to go any lower under a community model I think more fans would be driven away by the low quality of play.

Also...What happens if they "float" the community model and there is no buy-in from the public?

Reply #387623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The club will fold> Te current owners who have lined there pockets and with little re investement in the club will no longer invest. Bye Bye.
They have always said theat if thay have to subsidise the club they will walk. It's been looming for years and now the owners want a community model. What a slap in the face for the community. The owners didnts give a rats about the community when all was good and the profits healthy.

Reply #387631 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have heard of another club considering tweaking their model along these lines too.

Reply #387635 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not true anonymous - when the club was turning a profit they were ALL ABOUT community.

Now they are flailing, it is because they forgot about what is most important for a small town club - putting a succesful team on the floor while engaging their fans and small, local business involvement.

The CEO spent all Summer lobbying with politicians for a new stadium instead of liasing with local small business owners for corporate sponsorshipsand addressing the wider community disconnect through various other channels.

Reply #387638 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Must have been within earshot Isaac...

Reply #387641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately - IN MY OPINION - teams that have a community based model will never win a title.

I know there will be seasons where everything clicks and recruiting will be smart enough to lure players by getting existing players to take a pay cut like Wollongong & Cairns did when they made the GF in the last few years, but that will be the exception rather than the rule.

There is no way community teams can compete with NZ and Perth who will spend the whole cap, will be able to afford everything and not think twice.

I'm normally a glass half full kinda guy but this is my perception of reality.

Reply #387648 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Can someone please explain what is meant by "Community Business" in this regard?
Does that mean the shares can be purchased?
Does that mena that if shares are purchased that there is a potential dividend?
How does this work?

Reply #387653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns tried the share idea numerous years ago. infact they tried several times and it failed.

What really wrong with the Townville centre now? How did it get so run down?

Reply #387656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac is it Sydney?

Reply #387700 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Townsville have 35 shareholders at the moment, with varying stakes in the team, I believe...

A community model would just be spreading that out a little more. It's not like they are owned by one guy right now.

At the same time, is running a "not for profit" selling yourself a little short?

Townsville have made big profits before, even well after the basketball boom in this country. There is no reason why, in a large regional centre with only NRL to compete with, they can't return to at least a semblance of that level with the right choices being made at the top.

But right now, they are running at an operating loss of half a million each season over the last couple of years, according to the Townsville Bulletin.

That's a pretty serious bleeding that needs to be stemmed, and personally, I am not being part of any community offering unless the shareholders have a voice and that the people at the top are the right people, not just a repackaging of the old model with the funding coming from some place new.

At the same time, I think it needs to be said that Smythe played a huge part in the restructuring of the NBL following it's rebirth a couple of seasons ago, and many people are saying there wouldn't be a league today if it weren't for his extra-curricular efforts working for the wider league itself. He just didn't do a good job of running the Crocs.

Reply #387713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same nutcases in charge I would have thought.
The community model is something they should have developed seasons ago. Too late now. Too many fractured, alienated fanbase now.
Supposedly smart bisiness people, that after lining their pockets and taking everything out of the club, got it so wrong.

Reply #387749 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754